LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

How about"GOOD BLOCKER, GOOD HANDS"
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
We should put Patton on IR an sign Collie, he may not be at his best but he at least knows how to get open an read coverage. We dont have a WR who can do anything besides Boldin.

I rather take Hawkins who can also return kicks.

I would just cut Moore
the baldwin two catches of greatness thread
The "Jon Baldwin not Boldin thread"
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Cant tell you how many times I typed Baldin or Boldwin. Those two names together are like typo magnets.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Cant tell you how many times I typed Baldin or Boldwin. Those two names together are like typo magnets.

I know lol

I hear people saying Jon Boldin during the game too
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by thl408:
With opponents playing press coverage versus the 49ers lately, Baldwin makes a nice target for back shoulder throws. He doesn't even need to gain much separation on the DB. As long as Kap can throw it in a good spot, Baldin has the size to fight for that ball. I've seen Kap do these back shoulder throws to Crabs, it should work well with Baldwin.

Just throw up some jump balls, Baldwin win get it.
The change of scenery seems to have benefited Baldwin. If that is the case, he will provide some us some immediate relief at wide receiver.

But, I tend to think the real benefits will be seen later in the year and the coming years.

His problems with drops has been overstated. He has the base physical tools to be better than good.

I am going to write up the trade for Baldwin as a save--calling it a win would only serve as a denial of the mistake that was AJ Jenkins.

There are times when it just doesn't work for a top pick. There's a lot of expectation placed on them and sometimes the environment isn't there for them to develop. Baldwin had a really difficult entry with the hazing incident. That's a really rough way to start and may have left a strong imprint. Some guys shake stuff like that off easily others don't. Also, we've talked about this before, but KC had one of the worst QB situations in the league. Sure, Bowe did well, but besides Charles what else was going right on offense there. I just hope we have the coahiing staff to resurrect his career. We're going to find out if there's hope for that in the next few weeks. What a coup it would be if he could turn into a solid number two or even a good number 3.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

LOL! This is so true!
Cool article from 49ers.com talking about how Baldwin and Kaep have been putting in extra work together.

We need Baldwin to step up and play to his potential for our offense to take that next step

http://49rs.me/19kMAzn
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by thl408:
With opponents playing press coverage versus the 49ers lately, Baldwin makes a nice target for back shoulder throws. He doesn't even need to gain much separation on the DB. As long as Kap can throw it in a good spot, Baldin has the size to fight for that ball. I've seen Kap do these back shoulder throws to Crabs, it should work well with Baldwin.

Just throw up some jump balls, Baldwin win get it.
The change of scenery seems to have benefited Baldwin. If that is the case, he will provide some us some immediate relief at wide receiver.

But, I tend to think the real benefits will be seen later in the year and the coming years.

His problems with drops has been overstated. He has the base physical tools to be better than good.

I am going to write up the trade for Baldwin as a save--calling it a win would only serve as a denial of the mistake that was AJ Jenkins.

There are times when it just doesn't work for a top pick. There's a lot of expectation placed on them and sometimes the environment isn't there for them to develop. Baldwin had a really difficult entry with the hazing incident. That's a really rough way to start and may have left a strong imprint. Some guys shake stuff like that off easily others don't. Also, we've talked about this before, but KC had one of the worst QB situations in the league. Sure, Bowe did well, but besides Charles what else was going right on offense there. I just hope we have the coahiing staff to resurrect his career. We're going to find out if there's hope for that in the next few weeks. What a coup it would be if he could turn into a solid number two or even a good number 3.
This guy talent wise should at a minimum be a solid number 2 but if Crabtree comes back Boldin gets the gig. I will hold out faith that we can tap into Baldwin's potential. There is nothing inhibiting him physically or skill wise from being at least a good starting WR. He is legitimate 1st round talent but he just has to continue to have a workers mindset and focus towards being that guy. Aside from that Kap is a man of the people at QB or one of the guys it seems like Brees is. This might be what Baldwin has needed to have that relationship with the signal caller. Yes he might have his drops but with his size physicality and catch radius the best thing is to keep going to him to build confidence and rapport until he gets it
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM ]

• Antix
  • Veteran
I'm hoping for the best but we have the worst WR luck imaginable. Nothing goes right for our WRs so..we'll see,
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jon-Baldwin-Puts-in-Extra-Work/86493fa7-dc42-4ae2-99c7-b5e25f08033f

Nice read. I'm pretty impressed with Baldwin so far; he's a great blocker, pretty fast, and given his physical build, he won't be pushed around or get eaten for lunch by DBs, he can hold his own. He has all you would want in a solid #1 or #2 WR. KC fans say he has the "dropsies" which is odd since he was complimented for his "great hands" in college. The coaching staff in KC at the time and having Matt Cassel as his QB certainly didn't help him. But what I think Jonathan really needs to do to succeed is to get his head in the game, have more focus, motivation, and a confidence booster. I really hope he can turn his career around and maybe live up to his 1st round potential. Right now is the time for him to take advantage of a second chance and step up.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Let's put it this way, Jon is our last hope when Anquan and Vernon are covered. Moore has already been deactivated, Patton has broken his foot and KW well is KW. And yet we are still not making a trade for a legit WR such as Britt or Gordon as most have mentioned. I would have expected the FO to make a move pretty much right after the 2-game skid. If they haven't done it by now, I am not convinced there will be a trade before the deadline. So, we shall see what happens.

Having said that, I like what I am seeing with Baldwin, he has the size and height and he is making catches thus far. I think he is fired up to make a point and turn his career around. He won't get a better opportunity than this. I am looking forward to seeing more especially on deep ball and red zone situations.
But what if KW has a huge game one of these days? So much crow to eat...and I will need a fork to nibble...but just a bit.
If Baldwin starts producing, I think Boldin moves into the "big slot" role as the Y receiver when Crabtree returns and rotates with both Manningham and Baldwin at both positions, which will keep all of them fresh.

According to this article, he's been working at the X receiver spot right now. http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jon-Baldwin-Puts-in-Extra-Work/86493fa7-dc42-4ae2-99c7-b5e25f08033f

That means Baldwin would start there and Boldin would start as the Z.

X: Baldwin
Y: Williams
Z: Boldin
FLEX: Vernon

Or in simpler terms for others:

1WR Baldwin
2WR Boldin
3WR Williams
1TE Vernon Davis

Most likely though, I look for us to establish the run game and expect us to utilize Vance McDonald to bring size and power out there, over Kyle Williams who has not played well in any facet -- blocking or catching -- so far.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone