LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

• Rascal
  • Veteran
This is his golden opportunity now. He needs to focus one play at a time and not to get over-excited. If he keeps his head down and concentrates on the task at hand, I feel he can make bigger plays as time goes by and a TD is probably not too far in the distance.

Size and strength does matter in this league. That's why I will always take a bigger 6'3"+, 220 lbs+ guy over any small dude at the WR position. Tavon Austin is yet to make a mark.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
This is his golden opportunity now. He needs to focus one play at a time and not to get over-excited. If he keeps his head down and concentrates on the task at hand, I feel he can make bigger plays as time goes by and a TD is probably not too far in the distance.

Size and strength does matter in this league. That's why I will always take a bigger 6'3"+, 220 lbs+ guy over any small dude at the WR position. Tavon Austin is yet to make a mark.

Yeah, it is his golden opportunity, just catch the ball and he should be fine.
good god I hope he does something. we can't win with just boldin every game.
  • thl408
With opponents playing press coverage versus the 49ers lately, Baldwin makes a nice target for back shoulder throws. He doesn't even need to gain much separation on the DB. As long as Kap can throw it in a good spot, Baldin has the size to fight for that ball. I've seen Kap do these back shoulder throws to Crabs, it should work well with Baldwin.
Seems like Harbaugh really likes the guy, and IF his comments are any indication, it could mean he believes he has every reason to get a shot at the #2 spot, since KW and Moore both failed and unfortunately QP got hurt. New depth chart looks to potentially be:

1. Boldin
2. Baldwin
3. Williams
4. Moore
5. Osgood
6. Harper

The additional silver lining with Patton being out is that I think that even if Asomugah makes it back soon, it will allow Morris and Stupar to continue their duty on STs, where they were outstanding on Thursday.
Originally posted by thl408:
With opponents playing press coverage versus the 49ers lately, Baldwin makes a nice target for back shoulder throws. He doesn't even need to gain much separation on the DB. As long as Kap can throw it in a good spot, Baldin has the size to fight for that ball. I've seen Kap do these back shoulder throws to Crabs, it should work well with Baldwin.

i was a big fan of those throws...mostly because it wasn't boldin and it was a completion...but he could be a nice 3rd down target against single coverage...hopefully the guy works out cause williams is a 3rd reciever at best
We should put Patton on IR an sign Collie, he may not be at his best but he at least knows how to get open an read coverage. We dont have a WR who can do anything besides Boldin.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
We should put Patton on IR an sign Collie, he may not be at his best but he at least knows how to get open an read coverage. We dont have a WR who can do anything besides Boldin.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Just throw up some jump balls, Baldwin win get it.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by English:
Early days but he may be a keeper

That's kind of how I feel, cautiously optimistic. Seems like every time we got to see him in preseason he made a few nice plays. Now he finally sees action and again has a couple nice catches in limited play time. Still worry about why it has taken so long to get him on the field though, what don't we know.

playbook is a chore to learn

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:

I rather take Hawkins who can also return kicks.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
good god I hope he does something. we can't win with just boldin every game.

Yes, especially if we don't sign another WR. I have a feeling they might be banking on Mario coming back. But, I am not sure we can wait. Even if Mario can come back by week 6, it will probably take him a couple of games to get back to form.
Hopefully, he gets comfortable and flashes that 4.49 speed at his size. Granted, he is no "burner" ala Ginn but it is not shabby at all. I would like to see just a straight sideline play where he chucks the DB at the LOS and outruns him.

Or, he might actually be good for an end around because he is so big. I actually wouldn't mind seeing McDonald on an end around. He is a beast in the open field.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Just throw up some jump balls, Baldwin win get it.
The change of scenery seems to have benefited Baldwin. If that is the case, he will provide some us some immediate relief at wide receiver.

But, I tend to think the real benefits will be seen later in the year and the coming years.

His problems with drops has been overstated. He has the base physical tools to be better than good.

I am going to write up the trade for Baldwin as a save--calling it a win would only serve as a denial of the mistake that was AJ Jenkins.
Call it the "Baldwin bald eagle of flight" thread
[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Sep 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone