LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Baldwin looks like he can ball, starting to wonder if Harbaugh envisions him taking the 'possession' role, encase we part ways with Manningham at the end of the season.

Or keep both, especially considering that Manningham took a pay-cut. Manningham is a much more shifty and elusive receiver which bodes well for the slot. Baldwin is more of a poor-man's Anquan Boldin -- I mean that as a compliment -- bid-body possession target.
Kyle should only be used in the slot.

Baldwin's size (and speed) on the outside allows him to manhandle smaller corners and match up against the Browners / Shermans of the world.

Boldin flat out abused Jenkins, who is a good corner.

Baldwin's post pattern on Boldin's TD drew both DBs away from Boldin
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Baldwin looks like he can ball, starting to wonder if Harbaugh envisions him taking the 'possession' role, encase we part ways with Manningham at the end of the season.

Or keep both, especially considering that Manningham took a pay-cut. Manningham is a much more shifty and elusive receiver which bodes well for the slot. Baldwin is more of a poor-man's Anquan Boldin -- I mean that as a compliment -- bid-body possession target.

This see if Ham will come back on a new deal. If we re-up Boldin for a another year/two we could have Crabtree, Boldin, Baldwin, and Rio as our top 4 with Patton and Chris Harper or another pick to develop.

Yeah, why not? In a perfect world -- everyone eventually comes back healthy, Baldwin is quasi-decent (i.e. the best of a bunch of mediocre/bad receivers), etc -- I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

For now:
Boldin, Baldwin as starters
Patton in the slot
Williams as WR4

When Mario comes back:
Manningham in the slot
Patton as WR4
Williams as WR5 / punt returns

When Crabtree comes back:
Boldin, Crabtree as starters
Manningham in the slot
Patton/Baldwin in other situations (Patton in 4 WR sets, Baldwin possibly in Red Zone situations)
Williams PR

Of course, this is all kind of ridiculous to talk about... Baldwin had 2 catches, that's it. But, from a physical standpoint at least, I think he makes most sense as a starter until the team starts to get healthier. Patton/Williams are just too weak on the outside for now.

EDIT: oops, I thought people were saying they wanted to cut Manningham midseason. Oops.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

This see if Ham will come back on a new deal. If we re-up Boldin for a another year/two we could have Crabtree, Boldin, Baldwin, and Rio as our top 4 with Patton and Chris Harper or another pick to develop.

I LIKE that kind of party!
Originally posted by theduke85:

Yeah, why not? In a perfect world -- everyone eventually comes back healthy, Baldwin is quasi-decent (i.e. the best of a bunch of mediocre/bad receivers), etc -- I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

For now:
Patton in the slot
Williams as WR4

When Mario comes back:
Manningham in the slot
Patton as WR4
Williams as WR5 / punt returns

When Crabtree comes back:
Boldin, Crabtree as starters
Manningham in the slot
Patton/Baldwin in other situations (Boldin in 4 WR sets, Baldwin possibly in Red Zone situations)
Williams PR

Of course, this is all kind of ridiculous to talk about... Baldwin had 2 catches, that's it. But, from a physical standpoint at least, I think he makes most sense as a starter until the team starts to get healthier. Patton/Williams are just too weak on the outside for now.

EDIT: oops, I thought people were saying they wanted to cut Manningham midseason. Oops.

Yeah, I completely agree. I think it was Mike Mayock on last night's broadcast who said, "if you want to beat the niners, do it NOW. because they're [49ers] only going to get better as players start to come back." -- or something to that extent.

Your post is pretty indicative of that. I can't wait to see what this team will look like with all of our pieces back. Hopefully we get Manningham back before the bye week
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So...is he our 2nd best WR as of now? At the very least he should be #3, and have the opportunity to push KW for #2.

I'm thinking Kyle Williams has already been booted out of that spot. Talk was that Patton jumped both Moore and Williams on the depth chart, when he went down, Baldwin was the beneficiary and he clearly did far better playing on the outside than Williams has done in terms of influencing how a defense approaches the receivers.

I'm down with that. Hopefully we've seen the last of KW in the starting lineup. I want to see Baldwin and Patton really get in the mix.

Patton was the #2 WR last night until he got hurt, it was posted by a sports writer. Bladwin is the only WR to have positive yards outside of Boldin, since Patton was injured early. I am assuming with a long week that Patton and Baldwin our the #2 and #3 WR going into the game, as long as Patton comes back. Who starts depends on how the coaches feel but I think they will both see time.

KW was the default #2 WR since he knows the playbook, but he has had 4 weeks of not making plays. Cox should be back returning punts.
[ Edited by LottOfDefense on Sep 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM ]
So...is he our 2nd best WR as of now? At the very least he should be #3, and have the opportunity to push KW for #2.

I'm thinking Kyle Williams has already been booted out of that spot. Talk was that Patton jumped both Moore and Williams on the depth chart, when he went down, Baldwin was the beneficiary and he clearly did far better playing on the outside than Williams has done in terms of influencing how a defense approaches the receivers.

Talk from who? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I think that is very well possible, but I wan't to know who was saying QP was moving up the depth chart.

I think Baldwin and Patton should be taking the majority of the snaps now. Patton showed he can be a dangerous route runner, and Baldwin showed he can make receptions despite tight coverage. We NEED them to tie us over while we wait for Michael Crabtree, because Williams and Moore haven't done sh*t, and show no signs of doing sh*t either.
Has Moore even caught a pass yet? Our receivers need to learn how to get open, last night there were a few too many times that Kap had plenty of time but no one to throw to. Please get well soon Crabtree.
I'm actually excited about Baldwin. I liked what I saw from his brief appearance last night, and it seems Kap already trusts him. I think by next game will have Boldin and Baldwin as the starting WRs which should greatly help our passing offense.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They found the lost Baldwin brother last night.
Originally posted by susweel:
Nice reference, you cracked me up.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

I'm down with that. Hopefully we've seen the last of KW in the starting lineup. I want to see Baldwin and Patton really get in the mix.

Patton was the #2 WR last night until he got hurt, it was posted by a sports writer. Bladwin is the only WR to have positive yards outside of Boldin, since Patton was injured early. I am assuming with a long week that Patton and Baldwin our the #2 and #3 WR going into the game, as long as Patton comes back. Who starts depends on how the coaches feel but I think they will both see time.

KW was the default #2 WR since he knows the playbook, but he has had 4 weeks of not making plays. Cox should be back returning punts.

But, don't you love Fair Kyle Williams
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by susweel:
Nice reference, you cracked me up.

Reports say Patton started opposite Boldin last night.

If Patton is OK and is health for next week, then he should get another shot at the #2 with Baldwin rotating in. I think Williams should be relegated to where he belongs as the #4, secondary slot receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone