LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
When the hell is the coaching staff gonna play this guy!? I know for a fact the 3 wrs I want on the field for sure are boldin, Patton and Baldwin.

I want Crabtree, Boldin and Manningham, but that's a couple of months away.

So do we all
The Bust for Bust thread
Jonathan "Don't call me Alex" Baldwin thread of Mike Ditka.

PS: Keep truck'n...Dick Sherman!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I want Boldin, Baldwin, Vernon, and McDonald.. EVERY TIME we are in the redzone...as soon as there is a one on one match up with one of these guys throw it up dammit.

This !! We have a knack of not playing guys. If we still don't play him by this game, soon or later he is going to end up like Brandon Jacobs.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I want Boldin, Baldwin, Vernon, and McDonald.. EVERY TIME we are in the redzone...as soon as there is a one on one match up with one of these guys throw it up dammit.

This !! We have a knack of not playing guys. If we still don't play him by this game, soon or later he is going to end up like Brandon Jacobs.

Yup why the f**k even trade for him in the first place. He might not be a practice guy. You should see what he can do in games.

yyyyeah.. that didn't really work when we threw it up to VD last game
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Yup why the f**k even trade for him in the first place. He might not be a practice guy. You should see what he can do in games.

Exactly. Even AJ Jenkins has had a catch already. LOL. You got to give the guy a chance, if he can't cut it then too bad, but at least see what he can do in real game situations.
Thought AJ was playing volleyball last night.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:

yyyyeah.. that didn't really work when we threw it up to VD last game

That end zone pick wasn't a jump ball. It was a horrible off-target throw especially when Patton was wide open. Actually, Kap played really crap if you look at film.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is possible the Baldwin will be activated for the Colts game.

The team can only have 46 players on the game day roster.

There are seven players who will not be activated for any given game

Players must show the coaching staff that they are ready to play.

There is no right to be activated. Players must earn activation.

The team also has to make sure that if has every game-day need covered.

So, a player could show that he is ready to play and still not be activated, because there is a stronger need at another position.

Baldwin has not been activated in the first two games.

We have not seen him since the preseason ended.

We do not know what he is doing or how he is doing in practice.

Like I said, Baldwin might be activated.

Personally, I would like to see him activated, because that would indicate that he is making advances.

If he is not activated that might give us a clue as to the degree of his progress.

Or, if the objective is to carp about Harbaugh, it would give us another something to complain about.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran

I find this confusing.

What exactly do you mean by a knack for not playing guys?
Originally posted by buck:

I find this confusing.

What exactly do you mean by a knack for not playing guys?

I get what he is saying, we acquire players and then it seems as if we never have any intent of ever letting them see the field.

Last year, we signed Brandon Jacobs and drafted AJJ and LMJ. Jacobs and AJJ essentially never played, and LMJ only got any time after Hunter went down.

This year, we trade for Baldwin, no sign of any playing time for him. It's not as if there are 4 well established guys on the depth chart ahead of him. I don't know what it means or if it is indicative of some larger trend, but it can be a little frustrating how opaque Harbaugh's thought processes are lol
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swayze:
I get what he is saying, we acquire players and then it seems as if we never have any intent of ever letting them see the field.

Last year, we signed Brandon Jacobs and drafted AJJ and LMJ. Jacobs and AJJ essentially never played, and LMJ only got any time after Hunter went down.

This year, we trade for Baldwin, no sign of any playing time for him. It's not as if there are 4 well established guys on the depth chart ahead of him. I don't know what it means or if it is indicative of some larger trend, but it can be a little frustrating how opaque Harbaugh's thought processes are lol

I thought the remark was a criticism.

James was the third string running back and did not see the field until Hunter went down. That seems pretty normal.

AJ Jenkins never earned playing time.

Brandon Jacobs was brought to play a back-up role. He was hurt a good part of the year, I believe. Then went twitter and got suspended for three games.
You can disagree with or agree with the suspension, but that seems to be a different question.

Baldwin has not been active for two games. He arrived very late in the preseason.
My sense that the Baldwin trade enabled both teams to get rid of players that were not advancing.
So far, Baldwin has not shown that he is ready to suit up. I do not find this all that surprising.

I do think it would be a positive sign if he is activated for the Colts game.

My understanding is that players have to earn a spot on the game-day roster. There are players, seven I think, that do suit up for each game.
I do not watch the practices. I do see the players development. I do not have any basis to think that x player should be or should not be activated.

Maybe there should be a rule, similar to the rule in some junior high school leagues, that ensure that every player gets to suit up and get playing time.

Maybe the remark was not a criticism. I have been wrong plenty of times.

I agree that the opaqueness of Harbaugh's thought process can be frustrating.
One of my criticisms of Harbaugh is how he deals with the press.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
This guy's catch to page count ratio is a little off.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
This guy's catch to page count ratio is a little off.

Think it has more to do with frustration than logic.
Share 49ersWebzone