There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This is also why he can sit and learn as Harbaugh helps him learn how to improve and work hard at his craft. In the mean time he may be able to get those jump balls that the other WRs can't seem to reach.
moss was a failure last year but as you said,, you get a young guy who has a good attitude with the right coaches teaching him, he could end up being special

That would make this receiving corps one of the best in the NFL once Crabtree and Manningham come back. And what a difficult decision for the coaches...who goes?
You can't improve catching
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Originally posted by RonMexico:

This
Vernon Davis did. Just have to get Baldwin on the jugs machine every day and he could be a good player. Getting him out of that KC loser mentality and into a winning locker room should help as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM ]
OK, thanks.

Welcome
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Vernon Davis did. Just have to get Baldwin on the jugs machine every day and he could be a good player. Getting him out of that KC loser mentality and into a winning locker room should help as well.

Thk u. We can only hope. Dude has to stop jumping like he is playing hoops and catch the ball like an NFL receiver would
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Thk u. We can only hope. Dude has to stop jumping like he is playing hoops and catch the ball like an NFL receiver would

Not sure if you are referring to Baldwin but Vernon jumps a lot when catching and I think that's a defense mechanism for catching when you don't have the best hands. Maybe Baldwin has the same thing going on.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the last sentence is the biggest thing of all in my opinion plus he is still young enough so he is not set in his loser ways,, aka moss, jacobs and edwards

Not sure if you are referring to Baldwin but Vernon jumps a lot when catching and I think that's a defense mechanism for catching when you don't have the best hands. Maybe Baldwin has the same thing going on.

Basket catchers and not hands catchers. Works for VD because he tends to get great separation but for Baldwin oftentimes it isn't necessary to leap when you don't have to on very catchable balls. Just put up those large mitts shield off the defender with your massive frame and make the play. It should be easy money for a man of Baldwin size.
To be fair to this guy, I saw him catch most of the stuff thrown to him....small sample though. And it was usually a backup throwing to him. Maybe he gets better with Colin?
Breaking Baldwin.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
A wide receiver or a quarterback are like a pitcher or catcher in baseball: when the pitcher is always throwing strikes, or at least right around the plate with everything, the catcher gets into a rhythm and makes every catch, even the occasional pitch way out of the strike zone look like an easy catch. The pitcher will throw with a lot more confidence and one builds on the other. OTOH, when the pitcher is always wild, the catcher is like a cat on a hot tin roof - jumping all over the place looking like he has never played the position before.

Baldwin has been that catcher trying to catch a wild pitcher. Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn had QB ratings near single digits last season. The ball was flying all over the place. No receiver can play with confidence in a situation like that. Soon the routes start to get sloppy and balls start to hit the ground and it turns into a giant mess. That is what Baldwin came from. Even though the coach and the QB were new, the fan environment, as witnessed on two KC discussion boards, was poison. KC fans were sick of losing and everybody became a target for their justifiable disgust. Jon Baldwin was a convenient target, and some of his rep has obviously spilled over onto this board.

I am convinced he is going to be a productive player for us this season, perhaps not a starter but he doesn't have to be. If he can turn into a reliable RZ target and 3rd down possession receiver, he will be a significant asset to this team. I imagine a RZ offense with Boldin, Baldwin, McDonald and Davis, with Williams or Patton thrown in to find a slot in the zone. That will give a few DCs something to think about. Four big, tough targets and a flea to bite them in the butt if they don't watch him. That sounds like a good season to me.
Don't call me Alec Baldwin!

That might be true, but I don't think it's the only reason. Remember when Troy Polamalu broke his leg when diving at his knees after a catch? I think Vernon feels safer by jumping for a pass in traffic, that way an a*****e like Polamalu can't end his career. Also, with the NFL making high hits illegal, players are going to increasingly go after the legs/knees, which is of course a far more dangerous way to tackle.