LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:
Wow, guess they really didn't believe in A.J.

Thoughts?

Well, they believed enough in him to draft him... but over the last two years and seeing little improvement I guess they just completely lost faith in him. I guess we're starting to get a good idea that Baalke and Harbaugh don't mess around with under-performers. They got rid of Taylor Mays almost immediately and shipped out AJ his 2nd year too. Which is a good thing, I feel.
I understand Baldwin has drop problems, but in terms of current production.. we got the better end of the deal. Baldwin is in his 3rd year and looks closer to becoming a decent WR than Jenkins.

I LOVE the trade, personally.
The more and more maiocco wont shut up about the trade the more and more it worries me.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by verb1der:
How'd they get the Chiefs to bite on this? I bet Alex Smith vouched for Aj

Dude. We essentially gave Andy Reid a playoff caliber QB for NOTHING. A couple of second round picks is all it cost him -- and Reid gets a QB with playoff seasoning. That says a lot.

Me thinks Reid repaid a favor.
I think it is more of a system thing. Reid knew how to work with smaller receivers (Jackson) and Harbaugh's system seems more fit for bigger receivers who can block. Works out for both teams and gives the players a second chance.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
The more and more maiocco wont shut up about the trade the more and more it worries me.

Why?
Originally posted by LA49er:
And now for some Jonathan Baldwin highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrTEX8tvHhc

If he's hopping around like that VS Seattle he's going to be a cripple.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
alex is probably pissed to see this guy again! a number one pick getting out played by camp fodder. good trade, very happy. this guy is a niner and i could care less what he did in kansas city. i do not hate a player unless they give me a reason. jenkins means nothing to me and I am surprised some people are not moaning and wailing that jenkins will give away our secrets. actually I do not think jenkins knew any secrets. he was not in those loops
Baldwin is huge. Hopefully he produces differently with Kaep at the helm, and with the system that we run. My hope is that he does. At least he seems to care about playing hard, more so then AJ did. If our coaches can teach Baldwin how to use his size and speed, we may have a stud in the future. If he doesn't work out, then we aren't facing the same hole we were with AJ. It sucks that AJ didn't pan out, but I'm glad the Niners addressed it quickly and moved on.
Originally posted by d49izme:
Would have been interesting to see how Baldwin matched up last week matchup against Shaun Smith instead of Jenkins

He didn't match up that great against Nnamdi or whoever else was trying to cover him but at least he didn't fall down.
What I always didn't get was this. Baldwin is 6-4, 230 pounds, with a 40.5 inch vertical. He has like 4 inches, 30 pounds, and a 5 inch vertical on most CBs in this league. Does he even need to get open? If he just jumps and the ball is throw right, he doesn't even need to fight much for the ball.

• dj43
I got distracted in my prior post about the Seattle matchup and the need for size:

Against KC last Friday night, we saw a preview of what it would look for Jenkins to go against the Seattle CBs when he was matched against Sean Smith. Smith mauled Jenkins like a rag doll in press coverage. Jenkins had NO CHANCE against Smith. To put Jenkins against any of the Seattle secondary would be a mismatch before the ball was even snapped. At least with Baldwin we now have a guy who can compete with the size of the Seahawk secondary.

I only wish I had more confidence in the quality of coaching the WRs are getting. I can't believe we have gone through so many WRs in the recent past and none of them other than Crabtree have shown anything more than mediocrity.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I... guess I like the trade. It's kinda whatever. Jenkins disappointed for a season but Baldwin has for two. He was in a creepy team though. Hopefully they can get to Baldwin and he can realize his potential.
Boldin
Williams
Patton
Collie
Baldwin
Hall/Moore/Hawkins

I think it's Boldin, Williams, Moore ... then who knows???
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Oh sh*t! I think I called this... before we played the Chiefs

Posted, 'Trade him to the Chiefs' in one of his thread ...Now look happened

Me too..But I thought it was too late in the game to do it..Glad to see it happen.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
A 6-4 receiver for Kap to throw to? I'll take it.

I like his size, but if he was having trouble hauling in passes from Alex Smith. I'm not sure how well he'll do with catching those rockets from Kaepernick.
Originally posted by cciowa:
alex is probably pissed to see this guy again! a number one pick getting out played by camp fodder. good trade, very happy. this guy is a niner and i could care less what he did in kansas city. i do not hate a player unless they give me a reason. jenkins means nothing to me and I am surprised some people are not moaning and wailing that jenkins will give away our secrets. actually I do not think jenkins knew any secrets. he was not in those loops

No way. Alex was about ready to axe Baldwin himself. He probably endorsed this trade with a big smile.
Share 49ersWebzone