There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Boldin, Patton, Moore, Baldwin, Hawkins and Williams if we keep 6.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

If we keep Hawkins, we don't need Williams. Hawkins is a better fast version on Williams.

When Crabtree and Mario come back, what then?
Crabtree, Boldin, Mario, Patton, Baldwin, and Hawkins?

We have TOO MUCH talent!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think you guys know how good Baldwin is. Wait till he get's more throws thrown to him. Then, you'll be convinced.

He did the same garbage in KC. Drop, drop, drop. Slower than his timed speed too and can't separate.

Baldwin is garbage ?! Every player is different. The job of good coaching staff is to bring his strengths to the fore. Don't bother with the short stuff with him and don't throw him those 60 mph dart type throws. Go long and downfield with some high arc deep balls or fades in the red zone, that will be his bread and butter.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Baldwin is garbage ?! Every player is different. The job of good coaching staff is to bring his strengths to the fore. Don't bother with the short stuff with him and don't throw him those 60 mph dart type throws. Go long and downfield with some high arc deep balls or fades in the red zone, that will be his bread and butter.

I agree we should keep Baldwin the receiving core will be redundant if we keep all these 6 foot receivers. Baldwin gives the receiving core an added dimension and with Harbaugh's coaching they will get the best out of him.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He did the same garbage in KC. Drop, drop, drop. Slower than his timed speed too and can't separate.

Dear god, he had zero drops last year. ZERO DROPS IN 2012.

I think it was just one drop. But seriously, the notion that he can't catch Is ludicrous. His pre-season with the Chiefs wasn't great, but in games that mattered and with a horrible QB he did fine. He improved on his rookie numbers. We've got something to work with.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
If we keep Hawkins, we don't need Williams. Hawkins is a better fast version on Williams.

We have TOO MUCH talent!

When that happens I'd like to see it Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Baldwin (if he shows us something) and Hawkins

Not a bad problem to have my friend.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think it was just one drop. But seriously, the notion that he can't catch Is ludicrous. His pre-season with the Chiefs wasn't great, but in games that mattered and with a horrible QB he did fine. He improved on his rookie numbers. We've got something to work with.

Yes, it's easy to get excited having watched the last game...pre-season game. Oooh...Hawkins is great! Oooh...Baldwin dropped a pass. Practice is where these guys have proven themselves to the coaches. One reason I love Patton is his enthusiasm! That's contagious and shows on the field...but until the games count...?

Baldin = huge RZ opportunities
Boldin = clutch time
Patton = move the chains, maybe clutch
Hawkins = excitement, disappearing--kind of a boom or bust guy
Moore = RZ (?) and move the chains
Williams = Patton light

Crabtree = move the chains and CK sync
Manningham = vet version of Patton

We have TOO MUCH talent!

Williams is faster than Hawkins.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

We have TOO MUCH talent!

Williams is faster than Hawkins.
williams is made out of paper. hawkins looks like he can take a hit and hes pretty damn fast too. patton also looks way faster on the field than his timed speed. those guys had angles on him and he smoked em
I'm beginning to LOVE our WR group.

We have huge WR to fight off Seattles huge CB'S, and we have a lot of speed when we need it with Williams and Hawkins. We have what looks to be like a great route runner in Patton (friggin love this guy), and two awsome TE's. Add Crabtree at the end of the year and.....IT'S OVA baby!
The only thing saving Baldwin on this roster is his contract, if we didnt have to eat his salary this year the dude would be gone. Great size and thats about it, he needs more than a couple catches in preseason to prove that he can be a consistent WR. If you include the chiefs game he still has more drops than catches this preseason.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This trade just keeps looking better by the day...or game. I still can't believe we got him. Note that announcers did mention the decking of Baldwin by a vet last yr, but we heard it was a sucker punch, making for bad blood....and Andy had to get rid of it. Getting our # 1 pick and getting Baldwin out of the locker room were more important than the net $2.7 mil we came out better on( or close) and the fact Baldwin has caught some 40 passes in last 2 yrs. with doo doo for QBs.It really makes me feel bad for Andy and Chiefs, but bad blood has to be fixed....so they did, to our great gain. A really good reason to have a good relationship with other coaches like baalke and jH do. Wow!.

Baldwin caught everything Colt threw at him except one heater, too soon, which was behind and really fast. Best anyone could have done was to touch the ball and Baldwin did. He looks like a consummate pro.

I must have seen a different Baldwin than you. He dropped TWO catachable balls, one in the end zone. The announcers erroneously said a defender got a hand on the potential TD pass, but I don't think he touched it. Baldwin just didn't make the catch! I think, at the pro level, if you get your hands on the ball, you catch it. Touching it and not catching it is inexcusable, and we're not talking just the fingertips either. They were in and out of his hands, and I believe he has one or two a game like that. Frustrating. BUT, we still got the far better of the deal. No question.

He did drop the one deep down the field but the other pass was thrown high and behind him with his momentum going the other way. Very few receivers would have caught that ball. At the same time, he did a terrific job blocking. He had a couple of pancakes in addition to helping seal the outside on another running play. So while all that isn't going to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl, he had a pretty good game overall. Much better than the guy he replaced and certainly worthy of a roster spot, at least until Manningham gets fully healthy.

The 49er run game, and passing game, needs his size and strength. He will see a fair amount of PT is my prediction based on what we have seen these past two weeks.
Originally posted by 5280High:
The only thing saving Baldwin on this roster is his contract, if we didnt have to eat his salary this year the dude would be gone. Great size and thats about it, he needs more than a couple catches in preseason to prove that he can be a consistent WR. If you include the chiefs game he still has more drops than catches this preseason.

You do I know that he has been with the team for two weeks right? Can't believe how many people get so down on a player that fast. He had a couple drops, not the end of the world...hell one of them the DB had his hands wrapped around the forearm. I swear the fans here will throw a player under the bus for every little damn thing. Can't give anyone even a couple weeks to settle in and develop a little chemistry with the team...learn the play book and settle down? I get that Patton is looking really good, but you know what...he has been practicing all preseason and knows his spot is secure. Give Baldwin at least a the same amount of time before you pronounce him dead.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This trade just keeps looking better by the day...or game. I still can't believe we got him. Note that announcers did mention the decking of Baldwin by a vet last yr, but we heard it was a sucker punch, making for bad blood....and Andy had to get rid of it. Getting our # 1 pick and getting Baldwin out of the locker room were more important than the net $2.7 mil we came out better on( or close) and the fact Baldwin has caught some 40 passes in last 2 yrs. with doo doo for QBs.It really makes me feel bad for Andy and Chiefs, but bad blood has to be fixed....so they did, to our great gain. A really good reason to have a good relationship with other coaches like baalke and jH do. Wow!.

Baldwin caught everything Colt threw at him except one heater, too soon, which was behind and really fast. Best anyone could have done was to touch the ball and Baldwin did. He looks like a consummate pro.

I must have seen a different Baldwin than you. He dropped TWO catachable balls, one in the end zone. The announcers erroneously said a defender got a hand on the potential TD pass, but I don't think he touched it. Baldwin just didn't make the catch! I think, at the pro level, if you get your hands on the ball, you catch it. Touching it and not catching it is inexcusable, and we're not talking just the fingertips either. They were in and out of his hands, and I believe he has one or two a game like that. Frustrating. BUT, we still got the far better of the deal. No question.

He did drop the one deep down the field but the other pass was thrown high and behind him with his momentum going the other way. Very few receivers would have caught that ball. At the same time, he did a terrific job blocking. He had a couple of pancakes in addition to helping seal the outside on another running play. So while all that isn't going to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl, he had a pretty good game overall. Much better than the guy he replaced and certainly worthy of a roster spot, at least until Manningham gets fully healthy.

The 49er run game, and passing game, needs his size and strength. He will see a fair amount of PT is my prediction based on what we have seen these past two weeks.
Also the one in the end zone was a diving catch on a busted play....not saying he couldn't of still caught it, maybe even should....but it wasn't the lollipop that many want to claim it was after the fact.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by 5280High:

You do I know that he has been with the team for two weeks right? Can't believe how many people get so down on a player that fast. He had a couple drops, not the end of the world...hell one of them the DB had his hands wrapped around the forearm. I swear the fans here will throw a player under the bus for every little damn thing. Can't give anyone even a couple weeks to settle in and develop a little chemistry with the team...learn the play book and settle down? I get that Patton is looking really good, but you know what...he has been practicing all preseason and knows his spot is secure. Give Baldwin at least a the same amount of time before you pronounce him dead.

Its not being down on him, its being REALISTIC. Sorry if I want to wait and see if another teams bust can actually be productive before hugging some nutz. He's not a rookie, he has a history in the NFL on which to be judged. Obviously everyone wants to see him get his sh*t together but until he proves different he is still the same NFL player he has been for 2 years.