There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I get the CK fanfare, I really do. He was personally my favorite pick in our entire draft class the year we selected him. I love the player too, but I'm not going to sit here and undercut Alex's abilities and accomplishments based on Colin's talents, like some seem to be doing.

It's OK to say CK is better without trying run Alex into the ground and make it seem like it was some kind of chasm of disparity alike to the difference between Jim Druckenmiller and Steve Young. That's ludicrous.

If you really want to make a believable assessment, do it fairly instead of throwing in Crabtree's playoff numbers to try to slant to statistics. That's BS to compare Alex's first 8 regular season games to CK/Crabtrees 7 final and 3 post-season games, playoff games where you can argue the numbers are inflated because we were trailing virtually all game against the Falcons and Ravens and were forced to throw. If Alex and Colin each played one playoff game in the same year, that'd be a fair comparison, but it didn't happen so since you can't say for sure what Alex would've done, you're down to nothing but pure speculation and conjecture.

Alex was good but the last playoff game he started Crabtree had a stat line of 1 rec 3 yards
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I get the CK fanfare, I really do. He was personally my favorite pick in our entire draft class the year we selected him. I love the player too, but I'm not going to sit here and undercut Alex's abilities and accomplishments based on Colin's talents, like some seem to be doing.

It's OK to say CK is better without trying run Alex into the ground and make it seem like it was some kind of chasm of disparity alike to the difference between Jim Druckenmiller and Steve Young. That's ludicrous.

If you really want to make a believable assessment, do it fairly instead of throwing in Crabtree's playoff numbers to try to slant to statistics. That's BS to compare Alex's first 8 regular season games to CK/Crabtrees 7 final and 3 post-season games, playoff games where you can argue the numbers are inflated because we were trailing virtually all game against the Falcons and Ravens and were forced to throw. If Alex and Colin each played one playoff game in the same year, that'd be a fair comparison, but it didn't happen so since you can't say for sure what Alex would've done, you're down to nothing but pure speculation and conjecture.

Alex was good but the last playoff game he started Crabtree had a stat line of 1 rec 3 yards

If only Joe Hastings and Brett Swain would've taken some of the heat off of him.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If only Joe Hastings and Brett Swain would've taken some of the heat off of him.

True. We really missed Josh Morgan there not to mention the rust delanie was shaking off after the broken jaw due to the knee he took to the head up in SEA from Leroy Hill. Last 2 playoff runs we have sustained late season injuries to our receiving core and have had to put practice squad guys on the field
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 871
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The 49ers had a receiver like this once, remember? In a playoff game against Green Bay, he dropped ball after ball. It was maddening. Easy catches, hard catches, he dropped them all. And then, all of a sudden, the light went on. And he made the second greatest catch in team history to beat the Packers.

T.O. ALWAYS had a problem holding onto the ball. But he held on to just enough of them to make him a star.

Indeed...he held on one thousand seventy-eight times to be exact. Top 5 All Time.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The 49ers had a receiver like this once, remember? In a playoff game against Green Bay, he dropped ball after ball. It was maddening. Easy catches, hard catches, he dropped them all. And then, all of a sudden, the light went on. And he made the second greatest catch in team history to beat the Packers.

T.O. ALWAYS had a problem holding onto the ball. But he held on to just enough of them to make him a star.

Indeed...he held on one thousand seventy-eight times to be exact. Top 5 All Time.

Now imagine if he had better hands?
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
True. We really missed Josh Morgan there not to mention the rust delanie was shaking off after the broken jaw due to the knee he took to the head up in SEA from Leroy Hill. Last 2 playoff runs we have sustained late season injuries to our receiving core and have had to put practice squad guys on the field

While Morgan was missed, I don't care how weak we were at receiver, there is simply no excuse for the lack of balls thrown to receivers in the NFCCG. If our QB has guts, we win that game going away.

I'm still bothered by that game. How people defend Alex in that game is baffling.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
True. We really missed Josh Morgan there not to mention the rust delanie was shaking off after the broken jaw due to the knee he took to the head up in SEA from Leroy Hill. Last 2 playoff runs we have sustained late season injuries to our receiving core and have had to put practice squad guys on the field

While Morgan was missed, I don't care how weak we were at receiver, there is simply no excuse for the lack of balls thrown to receivers in the NFCCG. If our QB has guts, we win that game going away.

I'm still bothered by that game. How people defend Alex in that game is baffling.

He really made two good throws and thats it. He over shot a wide open Kyle Williams down the field for an easy TD as well. To put all the blame on Kyle for that loss is laughable.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK...this is in response to the thread above about Crabtrees production with Smith vs Crab.

I'd say thats rather inaccurate....

I'm going to leave out the Ram tie game entirely just for simplicity, but I am going to add the playoffs.

Alex Smith at QB: 8 games, 39 catches, 440 yards and 3 TDs
Colin Kaepernick at QB: 10 games, 61 catches, 880 yards and 8TDs

Crab had 4 100 yards games in his ENTIRE CAREER before Kaep took over. He had FIVE in Kaeps last 8 starts. His average game this year with Smith? 4.8 catches and 55 yards. Kaep? 6 catches and 88 yards.

That is a very significant difference. Especially when you realize that it took a few games for them to really take off.

I can't stress this enough....this is NOT intended to be another in a LONG line of Smith v Kaep posts. That ship has sailed. They are just different guys.

My point here is that who is playing QB can have a HUGE effect on a WRs production. The difference from Alex to Kaep (simply because the QBs enjoy different strengths) WAS huge for Crab.

People will still say otherwise, though. I had always said that Crabs' lack of production was due to the QB. He had Shaun Hill, Troy Smith and Alex Smith throwing him balls for the bulk of his career. The minute he gets a competent QB he puts up game breaking numbers.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
He really made two good throws and thats it. He over shot a wide open Kyle Williams down the field for an easy TD as well. To put all the blame on Kyle for that loss is laughable.

Right. Two good throws to wide open receivers. I think they were both to VD. I hate that game. I hate it more than the Roger Craig fumble game and the Super Bowl loss game. It sucked the bloody life out of me.

He really reminds me of Shaun King.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Aug 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK...this is in response to the thread above about Crabtrees production with Smith vs Crab.

I'd say thats rather inaccurate....

I'm going to leave out the Ram tie game entirely just for simplicity, but I am going to add the playoffs.

Alex Smith at QB: 8 games, 39 catches, 440 yards and 3 TDs
Colin Kaepernick at QB: 10 games, 61 catches, 880 yards and 8TDs

Crab had 4 100 yards games in his ENTIRE CAREER before Kaep took over. He had FIVE in Kaeps last 8 starts. His average game this year with Smith? 4.8 catches and 55 yards. Kaep? 6 catches and 88 yards.

That is a very significant difference. Especially when you realize that it took a few games for them to really take off.

I can't stress this enough....this is NOT intended to be another in a LONG line of Smith v Kaep posts. That ship has sailed. They are just different guys.

My point here is that who is playing QB can have a HUGE effect on a WRs production. The difference from Alex to Kaep (simply because the QBs enjoy different strengths) WAS huge for Crab.

Thank you Marvin for clearing that up. Wasn't trying to bash Alex, just stating that QBs can make or break a good WR. Not that Alex was breaking Crabs, he wasn't exactly making him either. Alex is a sure upgrade over what KC had prior to his arrival. I'm sure Baldwin would've had a better season in KC with Alex there, but with us he has an opportunity to be a stud...
How many pages has it been since Baldwin or Jenkins were even mentioned? lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
How many pages has it been since Baldwin or Jenkins were even mentioned? lol

Who dey?
Baldwin will catch some passes I'm sure. But like most guys that has the reputation of dropping passes, he'll drop a gut wrenching one at a critical time during a game on us that will evaporate all the other passes that he'd caught. It's not a good thing or a bad thing. I hope the rest of the team can overcome the situation when it happened, because I'm not sure that I can as a fan.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
How many pages has it been since Baldwin or Jenkins were even mentioned? lol

straight Hijacked like them planes through WTC
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
He really made two good throws and thats it. He over shot a wide open Kyle Williams down the field for an easy TD as well. To put all the blame on Kyle for that loss is laughable.

Not to mention he didn't pull the trigger when he had Delanie wide open on a wheel route vs one of the slow Giants backers with nothing but green in front of him