LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

The "We can't think of a good name for the Jon Baldwin thread" thread

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
So then why did Dwayne Bowe have a lot of receptions? Wouldn't you think that if Bowe would be impacted by the same QB play?

That is what I call fuzzy logic.
bowe is just better,, does not mean jon is a bum but if you are elite, you should be able to put up some numbers in spite of your quarterback. if i recall we had a fiasco at qb a few years ago and bruce still put up good numbers in his first year with us
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
good good, sounds like he may do well with the change in scenery
we do have a few examples of guys who were average with their old team and really became a beast with us, justin smith comes to mind,, walt harris,, maybe carlos rogers , at least for one year. can not remember off the top off my mind if we ever got a first round guy who was considered a bust and transformed them into a good player for us

Carlos Rogers was a first round bust
Gary Plummer was another guy who got much better playing w/us.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
we do have a few examples of guys who were average with their old team and really became a beast with us, justin smith comes to mind,, walt harris,, maybe carlos rogers , at least for one year. can not remember off the top off my mind if we ever got a first round guy who was considered a bust and transformed them into a good player for us

thank you,, i do not pay attention to those things,, never knew he was a first round pick! thank you
  • buck
  • Veteran
Just one more look at Quinton Patton.

Another tool for evaluating wide receivers is DuPont's Metric. This instrument combine speed and production to give a wide receiver a grade.

For speed it uses a receiver 40 time divided by weight. Production is measured by touchdowns per game and yards per game.

Prospect---DuPont Metric

Robert Woods--154.38
Quinton Patton--149.75
DeAndre Hopkins--127.01
Stedman Bailey--126.26
Keenan Allen--124.27
Terrance Williams--123.54
Justin Hunter--120.39
Cordarrelle Patterson---114.11
Markus Wheaton--106.55
Tavon Austin--106.28
Aaron Dobson--104.08
Da'Rick Rogers--103.37
[ Edited by buck on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Gary Plummer was another guy who got much better playing w/us.

yes,, actually can not even remember his old team cuz he was so good with us,, chargers maybe? this could be a thread all to itself but it is interesting to see how some guys turned out when they came to us. to be quite honest, even in the bad days when we sent someone away, aside from julian peterson, they did little with their next team. winborn, battle,sheets, waters, stokes, garcia, woods! rat, etc etc
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Well of course he showed no bad attitude in his first interviews you dont want to be deemed the a*****e of the team on the first day lol. Im actually amazed Boldin let him hang around him the rest of the day all the earlier reports said Boldin is all about business and not very talkative during practice.

Boldin is a pro, a pro's pro.

He does what needs to be done.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:

thank you,, i do not pay attention to those things,, never knew he was a first round pick! thank you

I never knew he was a bust.

If Carlos Rogers was a bust, I am not sure what the word really means. Does bust simply = disappointment?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Well of course he showed no bad attitude in his first interviews you dont want to be deemed the a*****e of the team on the first day lol. Im actually amazed Boldin let him hang around him the rest of the day all the earlier reports said Boldin is all about business and not very talkative during practice.

Boldin is a pro, a pro's pro.

He does what needs to be done.

good thoughts and i agree with you bout boldin. hanging out with boldin and catching balls from ck does jon more good than the hill with jerry rice plenty of time for that, if needed and if he still on the team, in the off season. bruce was alleged to be all business and not talkative but reports said he was a good mentor to the kids we had back in the day. of course few of them panned out but thats a whole other story

If Carlos Rogers was a bust, I am not sure what the word really means. Does bust simply = disappointment?

This. He was a disappointment, but clearly not a bust. A bust is out of the NFL within 2-3 years normally. Rogers has put together a solid, if unremarkable career.

there are different bust levels. you can be a "bust" for the spot you were drafted in but still be somewhat productive. alex smith was a bust as the 1st overall pick for a number of years. but he was not a bust the same way that aaron maybin or vernon gholston are busts
Originally posted by frenchmov:

there are different bust levels. you can be a "bust" for the spot you were drafted in but still be somewhat productive. alex smith was a bust as the 1st overall pick for a number of years. but he was not a bust the same way that aaron maybin or vernon gholston are busts

I think that is still just disappointment. You're splitting hairs with "levels" of bust. Aaron Maybin, Vernon Gholston, JaMarcus Russell - THOSE are busts.

No there aren't, a bust is a bust. JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Gholston, Charles Rogers, those are busts.

• sfout
  • Veteran
they say he showed up at 7am and caught about 25 balls from ck and then hung out with boldin so that is nice. hell he has already caught more balls from ck in one morning than what jenkins did in a year and a quarter, plus he showed no attitude during his interviews

Well Patton is Boldin's best buddy, making him laugh and joke around during practice so if Patton and Baldwin end up being mini-me's of Boldin then who are we to complain. Especially with Crabtree essentially being a less physically imposing version of Boldin(according to pundits) and Rio being an agility type player that gives Patton and Baldwin 3 great "vets" to talk x's and o's with.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No there aren't, a bust is a bust. JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Gholston, Charles Rogers, those are busts.

I am not sure that "bust" is relative to a player's draft spot. I do not believe that it is correct to label a 6th or 7th round pick a bust.

At some point , at least in my estimation, the term bust seems to lose any real meaning
Share 49ersWebzone