LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Question about Dixon and Asomugha

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does anyone know why the NFL doesn't care that both of them are wearing #24 in these preseason games? I thought they were really strict about that sort of thing.
Teams can have up to 90 players in camp, so some of them may end up with the same number.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Does anyone know why the NFL doesn't care that both of them are wearing #24 in these preseason games? I thought they were really strict about that sort of thing.

We have 2 45's Stupar LB and Schelper FB as well. Don't think they care in the offseason/pre-season. Once they cut to 53 Asomugha or Dixon will have to change their number. Eric Reid might change from 35 as well. Edit: and 2 33's Hampton and Cooper.

Like you said with 12 retired #'s that leaves 87 left with 90 players and even then have to remember certain positions have to certain numbers.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM ]
Oh, and with 12 retired numbers... lol. Makes sense, thanks.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I think the only restriction is both being on the field at the same time... I remember a dude in college football had two numbers, because he'd share the field with a guy on ST.
better question is who will keep #24...DIX is going to make the team but what if As(housesmazzilli),,,,Makes the 53???
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
better question is who will keep #24...DIX is going to make the team but what if As(housesmazzilli),,,,Makes the 53???

lol. Great commercial

Originally posted by redrathman:
Teams can have up to 90 players in camp, so some of them may end up with the same number.

Have you guys seen black Andy Lee running around out there?
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

Nnamdi will change his number. Probably #28 when McBath gets cut or #26 if Brock gets cut.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by redrathman:

Have you guys seen black Andy Lee running around out there?

The recently acquired Lavell Hawkins – WR

So we have multiples of 45, 33, 24 and 4. Forgot about Hawkins. Eric Reid is one of the few without a # on the official roster. I think all a long he wanted to change it. Don't really like 35 much but either way don't get too upset over numbers. I'm not a jersey guy anymore either.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM ]
And 78
And this is why we eventually need a cap on retired numbers or bring old numbers out of retirement.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
And this is why we eventually need a cap on retired numbers or bring old numbers out of retirement.

I believe you can only retire a certain amount of jersey numbers. Thought I remember hearing the Bears can't retire anymore numbers
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i know this has nothing to do with numbers but both are playing very well and both will be good players for us this year. wow i have come around on dixon
Share 49ersWebzone