LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Are We Going to be the Number 1 Defense this Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are We Going to be the Number 1 Defense this Season?

Seattle looks good. real good.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Culliver is hurt. We have a rookie Safety. No way we are #1.

Culliver was horrible when it counted most. No way will his injury impact us. Nnamdi will be fine.
Like most have said, top 5 is a virtual lock if we are healthy. Number one over all? We have just a good a chance as anybody else who slots in that top 5.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by denali22:
parrish cox is looking great, I'm not too worried about culliver out.. especially with veterans like asomugha and whitner back there. not to mention that our pass rush is looking AMAZING. lemonier will somehow be the difference maker. he simply just pressures the QB consistantly in a way i've never seen a rookie do.. seems like every snap the QB lets go of the ball maybe half a second early, which really makes a difference.

Yeah I am trying hard not to over hype Lemondog, but he is looking incredibly good... he seems to create chaos in the pocket, he's so fast off the line he's almost a one man wrecking crew back there.
Our pass rush looks like it has improved with Williams in there at nose. We got a glimpse of goaline defense when the chiefs went for it on 4th down. Looks like Dorsey and willams will both be in at the same time. That should be scary for other offenses. So much so that I wouldn't try to run much down inside the 5. There are no signs pointing to us getting worse on run defense. On paper our corners look solid. We have 6 that could start on other teams but only 2 that can play ST. So I wonder if we cut one of the 4 to keep another ST player. Just imagine how rediculous it would be to see a dime package with namdi and wright on the outside and Rodgers and brown on the slots. Unfair in my opinion especially with our pass rush. With all that being said I don't think that we will be #1 because of our safeties. We should have a decrease in personal foul penalties with Goldson gone but we may have and increase in missed assignments and on taking the bait that veteran WRs throw at Reid. Also, whitner is a real liability in coverage. At the end of the season it seemed like every 3rd down or goaline situation the other team would successfully throw to the guy he was covering. Not to mention, he has to have lead the league in dropped INTs last year. #1 defenses usually dominate in 3rd downs, goaline, and turnovers which will always be a question mark with Whitner in there. The problem is we can't even pull him on obvious passing situations because of Reid's inexperience.

Top 5 guaranteed, not #1 unless we get incredibly lucky.
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Aug 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
Seattle looks good. real good.

Peyton Manning torched the 1st string last night.
probably not
#2, behind Seattle
As long as our front 7 is as good if not better than last season and our secondary is above average we should be a top 3 defense.

I don't get some posters around here. Peyton Manning torches the Seahawk #1's. Our #1's stop Manning without Willis or Smith in the lineup. And, some posters are just absolutely sure the Seahawk defense is better. Can someone explain that based on what we've seen so far in the preseason?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Depends on the category. Pass or Rush Yards per game, probably not. Points per game, I think so.

Either way we'll be top five is most of these categories which is good enough for me.
[ Edited by Hopper on Aug 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't get some posters around here. Peyton Manning torches the Seahawk #1's. Our #1's stop Manning without Willis or Smith in the lineup. And, some posters are just absolutely sure the Seahawk defense is better. Can someone explain that based on what we've seen so far in the preseason?

There are trolls under a bridge and then, there are CAWK trolls posing as Niner fans in this forum. Please don't ask why or even try to understand-trying to is as unnecessary as their presence.

And your expecting logic from all members of this forum?

"Niner fan" imPOSTERS!
Share 49ersWebzone