There are 184 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I've got to think getting cut. He'll cost 700,000 this year and a mill next. Does Baalke and Coach want someone that does not produce on the roster? Two years, nothing, cut your losses.

I think Jenkins makes it and will likely be the #6 guy and inactive during the season many times since he doesn't play ST. I think we see if he can get better during the season and next off season. If he doesn't improve or start to produce next pre season I think he will be gone. Don't see the point in giving up on him after 1 year. 2 years maybe, 1 no.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think Jenkins makes it and will likely be the #6 guy and inactive during the season many times since he doesn't play ST. I think we see if he can get better during the season and next off season. If he doesn't improve or start to produce next pre season I think he will be gone. Don't see the point in giving up on him after 1 year. 2 years maybe, 1 no.

I see your point, if this were a QB, linebacker or lineman the non-productivity could be attributed to technique. A running back or wide-receiver should show something with 2 training camps under their belt. Coach knows receivers, if he and Baalke think there is something there he stays. At this point his strongest point is the guaranteed contract.
I see your point, if this were a QB, linebacker or lineman the non-productivity could be attributed to technique. A running back or wide-receiver should show something with 2 training camps under their belt. Coach knows receivers, if he and Baalke think there is something there he stays. At this point his strongest point is the guaranteed contract.

I think it's mostly mental. Maybe he didn't take his 1st season seriously enough. I think we need to give him a few reverses, a few bubble screens or quick throws to get the ball to him and get his confidence up. Like I have said some times it just takes a big game or one long run on a short pass to get someone's career turned around. Not sure why but the coaches aren't doing much to get him involved and get him going. Even with the 2nd string OL and QBs not playing well still could have handed him one of the reverses the 5 times they have sent him around and ran up the middle. Not hard to call a quick pass or something to get the ball in his hands. He has been running some slants across the middle but I wouldn't be running him deep like they have at times. I'd give him some easy catches, work on the short stuff and then when he gets his confidence up start having him run the longer stuff and try to connect on that. I don't know the coaches know better than I do but some times they puzzle me.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Everything 2nd string looks awful on this team. I think we are thinner than we believe. If starters go down we are toast.

Sounds like 31 other teams...
Good notes, thanks NCommand. Schleper helped his cause with a sack. Nah, these pre-season commentators don't know much about the other team and are suppose to talk about their team the entire time. They probably look down at a roster and see 45 and say the name not knowing there are 2 45's on the team. I rewatched some plays to break down Gray vs Celek but that is all. I still have to re-watch it. I might have to keep an eye on the DL backups. If Dial and Carradine go to the PUP that leaves 6 guys (justin,ray,ian,glenn,demarcus,will) and makes you wonder if they will keep only 6 for the first 6 weeks or if a guy like Purcell, Divens, Jerod-Eddie, etc have a chance to be the 7th guy.

Thanks Gore! Yeah, when you get a chance to review PM when you've done your write-up. Watch Divens (92); he is a beast in there. He was one of my original long-shots to make the 53. I'd like to see him play against the 1's though.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran

I think it's mostly mental. Maybe he didn't take his 1st season seriously enough. I think we need to give him a few reverses, a few bubble screens or quick throws to get the ball to him and get his confidence up. Like I have said some times it just takes a big game or one long run on a short pass to get someone's career turned around. Not sure why but the coaches aren't doing much to get him involved and get him going. Even with the 2nd string OL and QBs not playing well still could have handed him one of the reverses the 5 times they have sent him around and ran up the middle. Not hard to call a quick pass or something to get the ball in his hands. He has been running some slants across the middle but I wouldn't be running him deep like they have at times. I'd give him some easy catches, work on the short stuff and then when he gets his confidence up start having him run the longer stuff and try to connect on that. I don't know the coaches know better than I do but some times they puzzle me.

If I remember right, he did not get much of a TC for season 1 as he was in the later graduation (class) or something that prevented him attending mini camps and then injured.

I do agree with you though that he needs to be more involved. We should give him time and snaps in preseason with Kaep and the first string, little point in running out Boldin as he's a lock. Just put Aj out there and keep getting him experience.
He's gone
I've got to think getting cut. He'll cost 700,000 this year and a mill next. Does Baalke and Coach want someone that does not produce on the roster? Two years, nothing, cut your losses.

Hindsight is 20-20 my friend...
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]
Rashaun, Kentwan and now AJ.
Losers - KC fans had to stomach and aweful outing from their entire offense.
Winners - ???? Not sure there were any TBH. The 49ers defense played well but we expect that. They've been winners for quite some time now.

Didn't see the game (wasn't televised here)...but based on the pure stats and after-game reports, Moody, Cox, Wilhoite, Gore, starting OL, Daniels, Hall, Jacobs, Stupar, Lemonier, Haralson, Schmidt & Dawson were winners. Losers were Tolzien/McCoy, Hampton, 2nd string OL, not sure about others. Now that Jenkins has been traded, we won't have him to kick around any more.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Loser: A.J. Jenkins

Winner: Jon Baldwin
Share 49ersWebzone