There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 2

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Winners....Not having AS anymore

to be fair, he did hit the check-downs pretty consistently, they just didn't catch them... oh wait

Just seen a the NFL ticker....Jamal Charles sitting for est of the preseason
Winners Daniels,Lemonier,Reid,Moody,Johnson,Haralson,Schmidt

Loosers Jenkins,Tolzien,Kickoff coverage
Why is Jenkins a loser for todays game yet people have Gray as a winner? Because there wasn't a holding penalty on the OL on Gray's reception?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Why is Jenkins a loser for todays game yet people have Gray as a winner? Because there wasn't a holding penalty on the OL on Gray's reception?

I don't understand either... It seemed like the McCoy INT was just a lack of arm strength (and blocking)...

I wouldn't categorize his game as a winner or a loser
Originally posted by KegBert:
I agree on Celeks blocking, he was out against the one's but it was pretty ugly.

I mean last season thought he did well in that area but like 3-4 times seen the tackle come in on his side this game. Was expecting him to take a step up in the receiving department and continue his solid blocking. Who knows maybe Gray beats him out.
So.....

Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Boone-Davis

Kilgore

And the rest are junk. No improvement at all from last year.
Wanna see BJ behind the 1st team OL for at least a drive sometime n the preseason against the opponent's 1st/2nd stringers to evaluate his potential....see if he really does has more to offer than Scolt McTolzien
Special teams are definitely having issues.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Wanna see BJ behind the 1st team OL for at least a drive sometime n the preseason against the opponent's 1st/2nd stringers to evaluate his potential....see if he really does has more to offer than Scolt McTolzien

This
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Winner - cb and olb depth.

Loser - Me for sitting through the last two preseason games. Tolzien playing qb makes my eyes bleed.

oddly, based on what he's shown so far, tolz seems to have regressed.

Would you regress with those receivers and that shoddy backup o-line? It doesnt seem like anyone is using the same playbook!
Offensively beyond the starters I see a lot of poorly executed vanilla play calls. Defensively I see so much depth that some of our 3's could start for other NFL teams. Our defense is stacked. For all the cash we paid to upgrade our special teams, I'm still waiting to see what we paid for.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So.....

Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Boone-Davis

Kilgore

And the rest are junk. No improvement at all from last year.

Well Snyder is another Lock. Marquardt got hurt or might have had a chance at making the team as 3rd tackle. Not sure Wiggins has done enough. Looney probably makes it but still seems a bit sluggish and soft. Next year's draft wouldn't hurt to get a G/T versatile guy after we get a few WRs, CB's and possibly SS. DL depth too.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Well Snyder is another Lock. Marquardt got hurt or might have had a chance at making the team as 3rd tackle. Not sure Wiggins has done enough. Looney probably makes it but still seems a bit sluggish and soft. Next year's draft wouldn't hurt to get a G/T versatile guy after we get a few WRs, CB's and possibly SS. DL depth too.
the only really good thing i've seen of looney is his close-quarter's bull strength at center. he's not going to get walked back by a nose. but, as a guard, he is sluggish. his technique is not good enough to cover his sluggish feet. but, it's not time to give up on him. i think he'll improve a lot in a year. he can be a starting center.
it's frustrating that kilgore's shortcomings are looney's strengths, and kilgore's strengths are looney's shortcomings. i wish we could combine those two.
Originally posted by xcfan:
the only really good thing i've seen of looney is his close-quarter's bull strength at center. he's not going to get walked back by a nose. but, as a guard, he is sluggish. his technique is not good enough to cover his sluggish feet. but, it's not time to give up on him. i think he'll improve a lot in a year. he can be a starting center.
it's frustrating that kilgore's shortcomings are looney's strengths, and kilgore's strengths are looney's shortcomings. i wish we could combine those two.

Well said. I think Kilgore has improved and could be the center next year but depending on how Goodwin does this year not sure I'd say no if he wanted to come back next year for a REALLY cap friendly deal. Anyways, like you said Kilgore is better on his feet and quicker; Looney is probably more powerful. Would be nice to combine them. I would agree that Looney makes the team this year and hopefully by next season he is in better shape and has worked on his technique, footwork, quickness, all that.

Side note: anyone see Kilgore after the game? Guy's hair turned mostly gray in this last year. He's not even 26.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
People forget we were one special teams TD stop from a SB win. This is absolutely the biggest concern right now. They need to have a few roster spots for guys who are going to shore this up.