LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Is it getting that bad that Seneca Wallace has to be considered for a pickup?
Originally posted by ninerjok:
It's obvious the drop off from Kap Is pretty bad. However, I'm not sure how well these backup QBs can really be evaluated in any of these preseason games. They're playing with an O-line that really does suck for the most part. We don't know how good they look in practice or not. They are running plays during practice that we'll never ever see in any preseason game in our lifetime.

Playing with a garbage backup OL vs the first string defense. I'm exceedingly more concerned about the depth at OL than I am about the backup QB situation. Put McCoy behind Iupati, Davis and co with Boldin and VD to throw the ball to and he'll be just fine.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Is it getting that bad that Seneca Wallace has to be considered for a pickup?

It is as far as McCoy and Tolzien are concened. But, they are shooting themselves in the foot by not recognizing or embracing BJ's talent and wanting an experienced QB behind Kap for the sake of conventional wisdom. There is no law that says you must have an experienced QB behind your starter. There is no need to complicate matters, if a guy can play, he can play. I didn't see any problems when the Skins played Kurt Cousins last year after RG3 went down, did you ? Oh and may I add, they also had an experienced QB in Rex Grossman and they still played Cousins over him.
OMAME

The evil love child of Kwame (aka Highway #77) Harris "I like to play piano and not hurt my hands because my boyfriend likes it that way" Harris and Sheila Rachael

Nothing against Harris' sexual orientation, but offensive linemen are not allowed to have piano player hands.

These are Conrad Dobler's knees

Check this out

:O

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81fef183/Finger-lickin-bad
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by buck:
It hard to fathom what exactly is going on in Harbaugh's mind, but I do not think the team wants to have two back quarterbacks with no NFL as it makes its run.

If that premise is correct, and it may not be, McCoy will get a roster spot. Tolzien and Daniels are in a fight for the remaining sport.

As it stands right now, with two preseason games and 12 days to go, I think Daniels has the edge.

I agree with you that McCoy has a spot currently and BJ is ahead of Tolzien for the other spot. However, Harbaugh DID start last year with two backups with zero NFL starts.

I said, "I do not think the team wants (emphasis added) to have..."
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Why was there no QB reps for BJ on Sunday's practice ?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/08/18/b-j-daniels-doesnt-participate-in-49ers-practice-on-sunday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

According to the article, Daniels did not participate in practice. If he does not practice, he can not get reps.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Why was there no QB reps for BJ on Sunday's practice ?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/08/18/b-j-daniels-doesnt-participate-in-49ers-practice-on-sunday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

According to the article, Daniels did not participate in practice. If he does not practice, he can not get reps.

That is the question, isn't it ? Obviously, he didn't refuse to participate. So, why didn't he participate ?
Our backups are so bad they want Tavaris Jackson......
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
It's obvious the drop off from Kap Is pretty bad. However, I'm not sure how well these backup QBs can really be evaluated in any of these preseason games. They're playing with an O-line that really does suck for the most part. We don't know how good they look in practice or not. They are running plays during practice that we'll never ever see in any preseason game in our lifetime.

Playing with a garbage backup OL vs the first string defense. I'm exceedingly more concerned about the depth at OL than I am about the backup QB situation. Put McCoy behind Iupati, Davis and co with Boldin and VD to throw the ball to and he'll be just fine.

Both back up qbs got snaps with the 1st team oline against the chiefs.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
That is the question, isn't it ? Obviously, he didn't refuse to participate. So, why didn't he participate ?

The article did not say. I do not have a clue, which is pretty normal for me.

With the addition of Wallace, the battle seems to be McCoy, Tolzien, Daniels, and Wallace.

I want Daniels to make the 53-man roster.

I do not have a dog in fight among McCoy, Tolzien, and Wallace.
About to get interesting here.

Wallace added to the poll.
So, why play McCoy if

A- you already know he sucks
B-you are trying to trade him
C- he is likely to be cut
D-it would take repts away from our other guys

?
McCoy

DONE!
Share 49ersWebzone