LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by Scoots:
Daniels up to #2 already? Wow that's some serious worship!

No joke.

He's the next Nate Davis of the WZ.

And so was Kaepernick.

Kaep has a much different game from those 2 and is much bigger and taller than both and much faster than both.

Weren't you the one calling him a "Nate Davis clone" right about this time last year?

I remember that.
Originally posted by ayetee:
Kurt Cousins > Tolzien + McCoy + BJ all added together. Those 3 suck..... I want Cousins for backup.

Come on now, speak the truth. You want Alex.

That wouldn't be true either. He wants Alex as the starter.

Now that would be a dream. A pipe dream.
  • buck
  • Veteran
-Q: Does the plan change for QB B.J. Daniels at all now, as far as more time that he gets in practice at quarterback and more time in the last two games at the quarterback position?

-HARBAUGH: Yes, going into what he did the other night, it was very positive. And as far as how the reps will go, this week in practice, I plan on it being even with [QB] Colt [McCoy] and [QB] Scott [Tolzien] and B.J.

Q: Does that performance buy him more time at the position, as you move forward as far as during this period where you kind of evaluate him?

-HARBAUGH: It was an encouraging performance, and he's done some encouraging things in practice as well. So, he continues on his process and he competed well and made plays. As far as it stands for him, it was encouraging. And when somebody does a good job you give them a little more.

-Q: Had those reps been even to this point, between B.J. and Scott and Colt?

-HARBAUGH: They'd been pretty close to even. They've all gotten a pretty good share of the reps when Kap isn't in there. I'd say probably, it's been more B.J. and Colt, a little bit less for B.J., but we'll probably even those up this week.

-Q: Is it because Scott was already familiar with the offense, why he didn't have as many reps as those two?

-HARBAUGH: In what, practice or games?

-Q: I thought you just said B.J. and Colt had been getting–?

-HARBAUGH: I'm sorry, I stand corrected if I said that. Scott and Colt had been getting the same amount of reps, B.J. a little less than those two. And this week plan on evening it up across the board

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/08/18/jim-harbaugh-sunday-transcript-things-are-clarifying-at-wr-and-a-three-man-battle-for-the-back-up-qb-spot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29
IF Tolzien gets cut, there will be a second bunch of broken hearts here in the Webzone.
IF Tolzien gets cut, there will be a second bunch of broken hearts here in the Webzone.

Nah, they'll jump to the McCoy camp.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

She (carroll) will get her panties all wet if Tolzien gets cut... she wants in on Niners playbook

Nah, they'll jump to the McCoy camp.

I've been high on Tolzien in the past and actually felt he looked better than Kap in preseason play (not this year). However, he's been a bit disappointing this year so far. Here, when he's given the chance to solidify the role of backup to Kap, he's underperformed and even seems to have regressed? I still like him better than McCoy though, and if push comes to shove, would rather they keep him and maybe develop Daniels, than give the job to McCoy, who looked so good in college, but just hasn't impressed in the pros.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No joke.

And so was Kaepernick.

Kaep has a much different game from those 2 and is much bigger and taller than both and much faster than both.

Weren't you the one calling him a "Nate Davis clone" right about this time last year?

I remember that.

And you are??

PBM I suppose.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The Cleveland Browns have agreed to trade quarterback Colt McCoy to the San Francisco 49ers, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter Monday.

As part of the deal, the Browns also will send their sixth-round pick to the 49ers in exchange for San Francisco's picks in the fifth and seventh rounds."

Yes, the 49ers didn't trade a 5th for McCoy ... they traded down 9 spots from their 5th round pick and a 7th for McCoy. Or if you prefer they traded a 5th and a 7th for McCoy and a 6th. Think of it as 1.5 7th round picks.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Why was there no QB reps for BJ on Sunday's practice ?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/08/18/b-j-daniels-doesnt-participate-in-49ers-practice-on-sunday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

No joke.

And so was Kaepernick.

Nope.
it was a bit unfair to rotate mccoy and tolzien by series vs chiefs, lessening their chances to get in a rhythm...still if youre the back up qb you need to be ready to go in at any time and under any situation
We should get Tavaris Jackson if the Seahawks let him go.... a vet who has started in this league and also has won in this league.

we just need to cut our loses with Dolt McCoy ASAP.....and if Tolzien doesn't get it together, move on as well.

we need a Vet backup for Kap...one we can actually win games with. McCoy has our starters out there and is still struggling. I'm sure some other Vet backup that has WCO experience would do better.
Originally posted by hofer36:
it was a bit unfair to rotate mccoy and tolzien by series vs chiefs, lessening their chances to get in a rhythm...still if youre the back up qb you need to be ready to go in at any time and under any situation

Agree. It's probably hard to get in a rhythm alternating series. I guess the coaches wanted both QB's to play with the same players, and against the same defense, before all the 4th-string / camp fodder entered the game.
It's obvious the drop off from Kap Is pretty bad. However, I'm not sure how well these backup QBs can really be evaluated in any of these preseason games. They're playing with an O-line that really does suck for the most part. We don't know how good they look in practice or not. They are running plays during practice that we'll never ever see in any preseason game in our lifetime.
Share 49ersWebzone