There are 225 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He held the ball too long, he's too short, doesn't see the field well, is indecisive. He threw one good ball against the 4th stringers and now the WZ thinks he is the next Nate Davis. LOL.

There is no such thing as too short.

But, seriously San Diego, the kid had a good game.

He was 6 or 9 for 72 yards and 1 touchdown. He completed 66 2/3 % of his passes. His ESPN rating was 128.

I share your frustration with the proclivity for premature preseason-based proclamations, but give the kid some credit.

He is a 7th round pick playing in his first NFL game. He did well. I am glad for him and I hope he continues to do well.
Originally posted by buck:
He held the ball too long, he's too short, doesn't see the field well, is indecisive. He threw one good ball against the 4th stringers and now the WZ thinks he is the next Nate Davis. LOL.

He was 6 or 9 for 72 yards and 1 touchdown. He completed 66 2/3 % of his passes. His ESPN rating was 128.

I share your frustration with the proclivity for premature preseason-based proclamations, but give the kid some credit.

He is a 7th round pick playing in his first NFL game. He did well. I am glad for him and I hope he continues to do well.

He held the ball multiple times too long and got sacks that he didn't need to get. He looked lost and very late on read, recognition and decision making. He had 1 good throw down the sideline for a TD against 4th stringers..... So what? I'm not going to anoint him. I need to see more.
He held the ball multiple times too long and got sacks that he didn't need to get. He looked lost and very late on read, recognition and decision making. He had 1 good throw down the sideline for a TD against 4th stringers..... So what? I'm not going to anoint him. I need to see more.

Ya he might have been late on his reads and he took 2 sacks where he should have got rid of the ball. But BJ Daniels was also playing with the 3rd string offensive line. Ya he was also playing against the 3rd stringers on defense but Mccoy and Tolzien had their chances against the 3rd string defense as well and did nothing with the opportunities. Mccoy played terrible except for 2 scrambles for about 10 yard fans and Tolzien looked awful. If BJ Daniels performs okay in the last 2 preseason games and Mccoy/Tolzien play like they have been. There is no doubt Daniels is the second string quarterback. The kid can play end of story.
I might not go so far as to make him 1 play away if Kap goes down but he should definitely bump Tolzien from the roster thus far if we are going off preseason performance and not practice. BJ has played better than the other 2. He produced vs those scrubs and they didn't. He has shown more upside than Tolzien with one summer vs 2 plus years. BJ is making a case for number 3 with room to grow

All that said and he still made Tolzien look like a douche that has no skills and no upside.
It's going to end up one of two ways:

1. Kap
2. McCoy
3. Daniels

1. Kap
2. Daniels
3. Tolzien
Daniels up to #2 already? Wow that's some serious worship!
Originally posted by cwilson830:
It's going to end up:

1. Kap
2. McCoy
3. Daniels

Fixed
Originally posted by Scoots:

No joke.

Hahaha. Its amazing how soon people forget. Last year everyone was annoiting Tolz as being better against Kaep and that tolz should have taken over for Alex when Alex went down. All based on what Tolz did against the niners in preseason and preseason when he was with the niners. All of which was against 3rd and 4th stringers. Not taking into account what we AND the reporters don't see at closed practices. So I agree not to annoit him and would like to see him against the 2nd stringers at least.

However, I will not sell him short (pun intended) merely because of his height. If the guy can play, the guy can play. After Kaep, he has the best arm strength of the three. I will say this, Tolz has had two seasons too learn the system and should show more. Colt has experience and shows more athletcism than Tolz, this is important when the line breaks down. Daniels is even more athletic than he. He is raw and is still learning and you always want the #3 to be someone that has potential that you can develope. Tolz had that chance. He is either going to beat out Colt or be cut. He is not going be vying for the number 3. Colt's disadvantage is that he is only in his first year with the niners. Both however, are going to be gone after this year. Another thing about Daniels is that he is not a one trick pony and can be played at RB or flanker etc. for trick plays, something that is a plus.

So in reality there is only the battle between Colt and Tolz, forget number two. Cause Daniels might not make it to practice squad if the niners try to sneak him that way. Also, Russell Wilson was never given a chance against Flynn, so never underestimate someone when you don't know there psych and heart, especially if they got talent.

Originally posted by cwilson830:
It's going to end up one of two ways:

1. Kap
2. McCoy
3. Daniels

1. Kap
2. Daniels
3. Tolzien

I don't see any possible way that Colt McCoy is not on this team's roster to start the season. They already gave up a 5th rounder for him, and acquired him for a specific purpose, he's the only QB besides Kaepernick to have started a SINGLE GAME in the NFL and I don't see how you get rid of him for two guys who have never taken a single NFL snap.

I think truthfully, the competition is down to Daniels vs Tolzien for the last roster spot at QB and Daniels is winning right now.
They didn't give up a 5th rounder for McCoy ... they traded down 9 spots from their 5th round spot and traded a 7th round pick for McCoy.
They didn't give up a 5th rounder for McCoy ... they traded down 9 spots from their 5th round spot and traded a 7th round pick for McCoy.

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to trade quarterback Colt McCoy to the San Francisco 49ers, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter Monday.

As part of the deal, the Browns also will send their sixth-round pick to the 49ers in exchange for San Francisco's picks in the fifth and seventh rounds."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
It hard to fathom what exactly is going on in Harbaugh's mind, but I do not think the team wants to have two back quarterbacks with no NFL as it makes its run.

If that premise is correct, and it may not be, McCoy will get a roster spot. Tolzien and Daniels are in a fight for the remaining sport.

As it stands right now, with two preseason games and 12 days to go, I think Daniels has the edge.

I don't think Harbaugh worships anybody, I think he just wants to put the best players on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone