LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
My Depth Chart for Next Week 1.Kaepernick 2.Daniels.3.McCoy.4.Tolzien..I wanna see BJ get some reps against the first team on the Vikings

The bold, 4real

Very bold
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are in a much worse position this year vs. last year. Just a dramatic difference. I like the Redskins backup. He can come in and win a few games. Certainly Alex when he was here could win some or a lot of games as long as you need him. We have declined real dramatically at #2 QB. And it's a problem with Kaep's running style.

Wait a minute, you do know that Kurt Cousins was a rookie last year too right ? He just happened to be a great pick by the Skins. I believe BJ has that potential in him. As for McCoy and Tolzien, I just have next to no confidence in them. If they shift focus to BJ now, is not too late to get him going. Aside from his tangibles such as strong arm and athletic ability, this kid is confident and believe it or not you need that to be a QB which is something that you can't buy. When I watch McCoy and Tolzien play, I get a sense that they are crapping in their pants out there.
McCoy #2.

Daniels may have a shot to beat out Tolzien, but I expect him to be on the practice squad.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DBSYM:
If BJ Daniels keeps doing what he did last night he's got a shot at taking that backup position. A shot. He's competing with a veteran in Colt McCoy so at the end of the day I feel like they're going to give the edge to experience on the field unless BJ pulls off something miraculous. After last nights performances, granted it was just 1 game for BJ, he is my favorite of the 3.

Absolutely. If you are good you are good. When you cross check his performance in that game with his college highlights, you know this kid has talent and a tonne of it. What that little flash of brilliance in the Chiefs game tells us is he is able to transfer his skills from the college game to pro football whereby the NFL stage is not too big for him. What BJ needs is more snaps and get some consistency going. I have always liked him from the word go, but was discouraged when Harbaugh didn't seem to take him seriously at first when he was being tried out at WR, KR and what not. Is time to rethink .
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Would picking up Matt Hasselback be any better?

Let's don't get started with Tebow.

No, we should develop the talent if we have it and we have that in BJ.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
daniels is the only one in both games that hit receivers in stride, made quick decisions and scored a f**kin touchdown. he had poise, guts and knew when to tuck and run when nothing was there. head and shoulders better than the other two scrubs

That's what I am saying as well. When you've watched football long enough you notice these things like composure and poise. These intangibles are qualities that you can't buy or coached, but badly needed nevertheless if you want to be a great QB. McCoy and Tolzien just don't have it.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
My Depth Chart for Next Week 1.Kaepernick 2.Daniels.3.McCoy.4.Tolzien..I wanna see BJ get some reps against the first team on the Vikings

The bold, 4real

Very bold

It is bold, but this is what is required.

Harbaugh probably initially thought he had 2 solid back-ups. I didn't think they really took BJ seriously at first when he was being passed around on the field, trying him out at WR, trying him out for KR and what not. I think he probably saw some potential in BJ and was hoping if he could manage to get him onto the practice squad he would be a nice asset to have to develop overtime. May be he felt the urgency just wasn't there until he saw how McCoy and Tolzien bombed in the 2 preseason games, then it became a concern and a real issue. In all honesty, he is probably looking at game, practice and college films again to re-evaluate what he has in BJ. At this point, after seeing what BJ was able to do in his very first NFL game as a green rookie, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Harbaugh changes tact and shift focus to see what BJ can do with more playing time disregard what the depth chart is.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Absolutely. If you are good you are good. When you cross check his performance in that game with his college highlights, you know this kid has talent and a tonne of it. What that little flash of brilliance in the Chiefs game tells us is he is able to transfer his skills from the college game to pro football whereby the NFL stage is not too big for him. What BJ needs is more snaps and get some consistency going. I have always liked him from the word go, but was discouraged when Harbaugh didn't seem to take him seriously at first when he was being tried out at WR, KR and what not. Is time to rethink .

It is time for who to rethink what? Are you saying that Harbaugh has to rethink his vision of BJ Daniels and where he should play?

If that is what you are saying, I would remind you that:

1. BJ Daniels has been listed on the 49 website as a quarterback ever since he was drafted.

2. Every time the team has planned to switch a player from the position he played in college to another position on the team, the team has listed the player at the position they saw that player playing on the 49ers (Miller at fullback, Culliver at cornerback, and Marquise Gray at tight end.

3. Harbaugh, in my recollection, has always said Daniels was a quarterback. This recollection has been confirmed by Barrows. Barrows wrote that Harbaugh said "Daniels is – and has been – in the competition with Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien to be Kaepernick's primary backup.*:

edit: 4. BJ Daniels has been getting reps at QB in practice.

If I misread what you meant by highlighted statement, please clear it up for me.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/17/5658164/headline-goes-here-pkljj.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Aug 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
B.J. Daniels was drafted in the 7th round (overall pick # 237).

He has played in one preseason game. He looked very good in that game.

He is short and as I have said before, I like me my midgets.

There are still 13 days and two preseason games to go.

I am perfectly willing to wait just a little bit longer before anointing him our #3 quarterback, our #2 quarterback, the next Kirk Cousins, or god forbid the next Russell Wilson.
We are in a much worse position this year vs. last year. Just a dramatic difference. I like the Redskins backup. He can come in and win a few games. Certainly Alex when he was here could win some or a lot of games as long as you need him. We have declined real dramatically at #2 QB. And it's a problem with Kaep's running style.

Wait a minute, you do know that Kurt Cousins was a rookie last year too right ? He just happened to be a great pick by the Skins. I believe BJ has that potential in him. As for McCoy and Tolzien, I just have next to no confidence in them. If they shift focus to BJ now, is not too late to get him going. Aside from his tangibles such as strong arm and athletic ability, this kid is confident and believe it or not you need that to be a QB which is something that you can't buy. When I watch McCoy and Tolzien play, I get a sense that they are crapping in their pants out there.

Kurt Cousins > Tolzien + McCoy + BJ all added together. Those 3 suck..... I want Cousins for backup.

The bold, 4real

Very bold

VD from BJ!

Kurt Cousins > Tolzien + McCoy + BJ all added together. Those 3 suck..... I want Cousins for backup.

How do you know Daniels sucks?
[ Edited by RonMexico on Aug 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:

How do you Daniels sucks?

He held the ball too long, he's too short, doesn't see the field well, is indecisive. He threw one good ball against the 4th stringers and now the WZ thinks he is the next Nate Davis. LOL.
He held the ball too long, he's too short, doesn't see the field well, is indecisive. He threw one good ball against the 4th stringers and now the WZ thinks he is the next Nate Davis. LOL.

I'll have to watch the game again, but out of his 9 throws he threw 4 or 5 that were really nice. There were times he held on to the ball way too long, but he also had some plays were he made decisive decisions. The TD throw was not the only good throw he made. Not sure what more you would expect from a raw, inexperienced, 7th round rookie. I'd rather he be the #3 QB than Tolzien.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I'll have to watch the game again, but out of his 9 throws he threw 4 or 5 that were really nice. There were times he held on to the ball way too long, but he also had some plays were he made decisive decisions. The TD throw was not the only good throw he made. Not sure what more you would expect from a raw, inexperienced, 7th round rookie. I'd rather he be the #3 QB than Tolzien.

Actually on several plays he got the ball off very quickly. When he appeared indecisive I think you will find his targets were covered downfield. For a rookie and a low pick rookie at that I though he outperformed McCoy and way outperformed Tolzein.

With Harbaugh to develop him I am interested to see what happens with him.

Tolzein's DeLorean has stalled, though, and McCoy in the preseason behind a garbage line has not impressed.

This was pretty much the same line BJ was behind. I look forward to seeing him - hopefully earlier in each game - in the last two pre seasons. Then we can make a more balanced assessment. Nothing wrong with showing enthusiasm about a good performance from a low draft pick rookie though.
Share 49ersWebzone