There are 190 users in the forums

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Me either but I am hopeful and forever the optimistist that just the right guy that Jim has been eyeing gets cut and is optimal for our program. Dennis Dixon of the Eagles perhaps?

McCoy has 21 NFL starts under his belt, doubt that gets passed up for some random project. I can see McCoy developing quite well into a conservative, ball-control kind of QB, playing very similarly to Alex Smith in this system. He's young enough to be able to progress as a QB, but seasoned enough that if Kaepernick goes out, you don't have a wild-eyed kid who's never started an NFL game before sweating bullets.

As poor as he has looked, I agree with you. I think he could be a good back-up, even #3. He has decent measurables, speed, instincts (better than the previous guy IMO, even if his measurables aren't as good). So . . . yeah . . . he could be an adequate back-up. He needs more time and also has to sharpen up a little. That's part of what preseason is for. He's making the correct reads; his execution isn't quite there. He has game maturity and that's worth something.

I imagine that Ballke will test the trade market for Tolzien. Probably would like to recoup some of the investment in time the team made in him.

Daniels is the perfect guy to groom as #3. With a little more experience this guy could come in and win games for the Niners if called upon, looks like.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Its a lock between s**t, poop, and crap

Don't agree. Daniels looked promising.
BJ really stepped up and is in the mix

Liked Colt's running ability.

I've been a fan of Tolzein BUT he didn't look good last night
We might look at who gets cut for our next backup qb.
  • DBSYM
  • Veteran
If BJ Daniels keeps doing what he did last night he's got a shot at taking that backup position. A shot. He's competing with a veteran in Colt McCoy so at the end of the day I feel like they're going to give the edge to experience on the field unless BJ pulls off something miraculous. After last nights performances, granted it was just 1 game for BJ, he is my favorite of the 3.
Precedence
Daniels will get the backup if he keeps making throws like the TD yesterday.
All our backups are playing bad. If Kaep gets injured even for a few games we are toast. I can't see winning even 1 game with any of these 3 vs. starter competition for 4 quarters. I just can't. I think we go 0 and however many starts if they play.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Rookie B.J. Daniels steals the show in 49ers victory

Harbaugh said that Daniels is – and has been – in the competition with Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien to be Kaepernick's primary backup.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/17/5658164/headline-goes-here-pkljj.html#storylink=cpy
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
All our backups are playing bad. If Kaep gets injured even for a few games we are toast. I can't see winning even 1 game with any of these 3 vs. starter competition for 4 quarters. I just can't. I think we go 0 and however many starts if they play.

You could say that about 90% of the starting QB if they get hurt.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You could say that about 90% of the starting QB if they get hurt.

We are in a much worse position this year vs. last year. Just a dramatic difference. I like the Redskins backup. He can come in and win a few games. Certainly Alex when he was here could win some or a lot of games as long as you need him. We have declined real dramatically at #2 QB. And it's a problem with Kaep's running style.
Would picking up Matt Hasselback be any better?

Let's don't get started with Tebow.
daniels is the only one in both games that hit receivers in stride, made quick decisions and scored a f**kin touchdown. he had poise, guts and knew when to tuck and run when nothing was there. head and shoulders better than the other two scrubs
My Depth Chart for Next Week 1.Kaepernick 2.Daniels.3.McCoy.4.Tolzien..I wanna see BJ get some reps against the first team on the Vikings
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
My Depth Chart for Next Week 1.Kaepernick 2.Daniels.3.McCoy.4.Tolzien..I wanna see BJ get some reps against the first team on the Vikings

The bold, 4real
Share 49ersWebzone