There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Preseason Watch The Backup QB Position (W/POLL UPDATED)

Its a lock between s**t, poop, and crap
Personally, I'd like to see Daniels go up against better players next game just to see how he stacks up.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Personally, I'd like to see Daniels go up against better players next game just to see how he stacks up.

Wouldn't be surprised if he usurped Tolzien as the #3 next preseason game
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Tolzien to be cut not McCoy. McCoy is #2, unless there are other plans.

I was agreeing with you :)
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Yes. But if there is a respectable vet at cutdowns that Jim thinks he can groom to be #2 I wouldn't put that past him. He drafted BJ so I think if he plays well he sticks and we invested more into Colt so we essentially spent 6th on him and he probably sticks unless someone gets cut that we really like

So Harbaugh is going to take some guy who isn't good enough to make another team's top 3 QB's over McCoy? I don't see it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So Harbaugh is going to take some guy who isn't good enough to make another team's top 3 QB's over McCoy? I don't see it.

Me either but I am hopeful and forever the optimist that just the right guy that Jim has been eyeing gets cut and is optimal for our program. Dennis Dixon of the Eagles perhaps?
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]
Me either but I am hopeful and forever the optimistist that just the right guy that Jim has been eyeing gets cut and is optimal for our program. Dennis Dixon of the Eagles perhaps?

McCoy has 21 NFL starts under his belt, doubt that gets passed up for some random project. I can see McCoy developing quite well into a conservative, ball-control kind of QB, playing very similarly to Alex Smith in this system. He's young enough to be able to progress as a QB, but seasoned enough that if Kaepernick goes out, you don't have a wild-eyed kid who's never started an NFL game before sweating bullets.

Me either but I am hopeful and forever the optimistist that just the right guy that Jim has been eyeing gets cut and is optimal for our program. Dennis Dixon of the Eagles perhaps?

Would love to have Dixon on the roster.
Part of the watch is over. BJ is a lock. I said from the word go that this kid has a tonne of potential and upsides although raw. I don't care whether he is #2 or #3 at this point as long as he makes the roster. I don't care about who makes it between McCoy or Tolzien neither cos they look like cow sh*t out there.
McCoy has 21 NFL starts under his belt, doubt that gets passed up for some random project. I can see McCoy developing quite well into a conservative, ball-control kind of QB, playing very similarly to Alex Smith in this system. He's young enough to be able to progress as a QB, but seasoned enough that if Kaepernick goes out, you don't have a wild-eyed kid who's never started an NFL game before sweating bullets.

I agree and this is why we essentially gave up a 6th rd pick for him but who knows who gets cut and makes HarBaalke blink. I do have faith however that with more time Colt gets more comfortable with what we are doing and we get more reliable targets for him as well when everyone is playing more and are healthy
Originally posted by Rascal:
Part of the watch is over. BJ is a lock. I said from the word go that this kid has a tonne of potential and upsides although raw. I don't care whether he is #2 or #3 at this point as long as he makes the roster. I don't care about who makes it between McCoy or Tolzien neither cos they look like cow sh*t out there.

Damn
Originally posted by Rascal:

Lol and you wonder why the term Knee Jerk is associated with you.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
ok, if you have a top-shelf team, it is your responsibility to have a backup qb who can be, at least, a neutral influence at his position. protect the ball and get first downs, maybe a td or two. be a guy who can hold it together enough so all is not lost when the starter goes down.
preferably, this guy is an accomplished vet in the last quarter of his career. the key word is accomplished.

where we are, headed into the regular season, it seems to me that all will be lost if kaep goes down. not a good feeling; having to face this prospect week-to-week.
where is our kyle orton-like guy? is harbalke right, thinking mccoy can be that neutral guy who won't lose games? he hasn't sold me--not even close. he might be, but we have no evidence. got faith?

any names you want to pursue after cuts?
i was thinking about bethal-thompson. he's made progress in his couple years bouncing around teams. good size. but, he's green. who else is out there, with experience and likely to not stick where they are?
[ Edited by xcfan on Aug 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:
Lol and you wonder why the term Knee Jerk is associated with you.

Want to bet whether BJ makes the roster ? Want to put money where your mouth is ? Let's see how much the term "knee-jerk" is associated with me. The moment, no make it the second you cut him, I can guarantee you there will be a queue of teams lining up to claim him !! Baalke and Harbaugh are smart enough to know they will not be able to retain him in the practice squad once they cut him. The kid just has too much potential, I would be shocked if they let him slip through their fingers.

So, yes I am standing by my comment. Sportsman bet, how about it ? Come on, I am waiting...
[ Edited by Rascal on Aug 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM ]
McCoy is our #2 and BJ is our #3. BJ is tough and athletic kind of like Russell Wilson. Tolzien has regressed.