There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manningham Will Not Be Significant

Manningham Will Not Be Significant

Good to see some logical posts on this matter.

Logic would dictate that a receiver coming off a totally blown out knee who is not ready for game 1 is not going to be a significant factor until mid-season, IF THAT.

There are some really talented, really experienced, really hungry receivers on this team that are going to assume the #3 role until he is 100%, which could very well not happen this year at all.

Is it not logical to expect him to be sprinkled in later in the season instead of what some think where Merlin is going to wave his wand and all of a sudden this receiver with a blown out leg flies down from the sky and plays early in the season as if nothing happened?

I wonder how much crack some people smoke some times.

Spock are you out there?

We need logic on this subject.....
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Logic would dictate that a receiver coming off a totally blown out knee who is not ready for game 1 is not going to be a significant factor until mid-season, IF THAT.

There are some really talented, really experienced, really hungry receivers on this team that are going to assume the #3 role until he is 100%, which could very well not happen this year at all.

Is it not logical to expect him to be sprinkled in later in the season instead of what some think where Merlin is going to wave his wand and all of a sudden this receiver with a blown out leg flies down from the sky and plays early in the season as if nothing happened?

Spock are you out there?

Why are all the new Zoners so completely oblivious?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Spock are you out there?

Why are all the new Zoners so completely oblivious?

no idea...he asking for spock now
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I agree. No guarantee that Manningham gets back to anything resembling his previous form this season. He didnt just tear his ACL, he blew out his PCL as well. That is one wrecked knee and theres zero guarantee he will ever be the same player again. Im expecting him to contribute as the #5 WR at best this year, just because he'll eventually be "healthy" doesnt mean he'll ever be the same player as he was before, which was basically a very good NFL #3 WR.

Only on the WZ do mediocre receivers suddenly transition into all pros by virtue of being on the Niner roster.

Mannigham was an average #3 receiver before he came to the Niners. Not good enough to be the #3 for the Giants. So if one wants to be satisfied starting out a brand new season with no aspirations of having a WR corp at least as good as NY, then, yea, A HEALTHY Manningham could have been deemed an OK #3. I strongly suspect that the Niners coaching staff doesn't feel this way. I'd be disappointed if they did.

Manningham was NEVER a starter for the Niners and, barely by happenstance a #3. I sure as heck am not expecting the organization to be looking to get worse this year. So where does that leave Manningham? Teetering to make the roster, that's where.

With injuries and expectations of other receivers on the roster not panning out, Manningham barely climbed to #3 last year (and couldn't hold even that position down). So why don't we just concede that he's the team's #2 this year!!? What are some people thinking?

If there is any chance that Manningham is to retain some relevance among the Niners WRs, he better make it back before the season begins, otherwise he will be less than insignificant. (Barring catastrophic injuries to those who make the final cut).

One things for sure: Even a healthy Manningham was a far cry from EVER being considered the Niners #2. And given his injury status now, he'll be lucky to make the roster. CLUE: You don't force a player who factors SIGNIFICANTLY into your future plans to take a big pay-cut.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I agree. No guarantee that Manningham gets back to anything resembling his previous form this season. He didnt just tear his ACL, he blew out his PCL as well. That is one wrecked knee and theres zero guarantee he will ever be the same player again. Im expecting him to contribute as the #5 WR at best this year, just because he'll eventually be "healthy" doesnt mean he'll ever be the same player as he was before, which was basically a very good NFL #3 WR.

Manningham was NEVER a starter for the Niners and, barely by happenstance a #3. I sure as heck am not expecting the organization to be looking to get worse this year. So where does that leave Manningham? Teetering to make the roster, that's where.

You could argue that the 49ers went receiver-by-committee last season (and the one prior) until they all started getting hurt. Crabs was the #1, but no one else was the true #2 between Moss, Mann, Ginn, & Kyle.
......yeah
This is proving to be accurate, he doesn't look good out there at all, seems to lack his customary quickness, if he continues to be gimped up, they need to bring in Patton to see what he can do.
This is proving to be accurate, he doesn't look good out there at all, seems to lack his customary quickness, if he continues to be gimped up, they need to bring in Patton to see what he can do.

Hands were iffy today too...

I think Crabs is having a better go at less than 100% because his game is less speed dependent...but Rio is clearly struggling to get it together and came back a little too soon.
The vote says Collie will overtake him
Give Patton some run
He did win his block on a the key 3rd down conversion where it was a designed Kap bootleg (GW FG drive). Can't say the previous guy would have faired the same. He does look off though. However, SEA is a tough matchup for him since he is greatly affected by the extra holding and tugging by those DBs.
He is coming off a gruesome knee injury. Probably came back a bit premature but I think hes fine. Kind of hope we get more production out of the receivers though
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
The vote says Collie will overtake him

did u say cooley ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aD9eSsqDU
We have 2 WRs, 2 TEs, a FB, and a HB that are our offensive threats, both in the passing game and running game. Manningham was completely ineffective tonight. Try Patton, if not, bring McDonald along.
manninghams injury was very bad, i think he came back a little early but mentally hes probably still nervous about the stability of his knee. hopefully he gets it all back soon, we could use as many receiving threats as we can get