LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Jenkins got 3 games... after that I dont really care if he's cut or stays since there is nothing we can actually control. If he still has shown nothing, it will suck but Patton will be our future anyways. That kid has "it". He's gonna force his way on the field when he's healthy and make fans forget whoever was drafted before him, except for Crabs.

Well, one thing about Patton is at least he is keen, dead keen. If you have your attitude at the right place, it does help a lot cos he will persevere and keep cracking at it. He seems like a great kid, I would like to see him succeed too. Mind you, even if he comes through and Jenkins tanks, we will still need to draft more WRs, we are yet to have our WR situation under control yet.
Originally posted by HERN:
I guess since Alex Smith is gone, time to find someone to pick on. A.J Jenkins come on down

This. I was just about to post AJ is the new Alex.
HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing...

yeah, but unfortunately it is quite often not much better than just plain sight or foresight.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I went to Cal and have a tendency to root for Cal players, but Desean Jackson was one of the few players that I did not want the 49ers to draft.

I have a very strong feeling that he was, and has been, a profound cancer in the locker room.

Sure wish we were able to have him now and save the chemo treatment for the offseason.

#ChuckStrong
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Apparently, that would have taken too long, the red flag has already been thrown.
I think it's a legit question. It's tough to tell because he did draft Kyle Williams, who I would say has proven useful but I would have to agree that we seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to that position. Hopefully, Patton can erase that doubt...
Pretty much everybody is bad at evaluating WRs ... I know I am.

WR as a position has the highest failure rate in the draft, and 1st round WRs tend to be boom or bust.

There is a TON of evidence to support this on the 49ers and on other teams. Back when Baalke was a scout he said he didn't think it was ever a good idea to spend a 1st round pick on a WR ... he didn't take his own advice.

The 49ers spent a top 10 pick on JJ Stokes one year, the next year spent a late 3rd on TO ... one worked a LOT better than the other (until he went insane).

Another example ... make a list of the 49ers great WRs in the last 30 years. It's not a very long list.

BTW, the Giants had Victor Cruz on the roster for a year before they figured out he could play, so nobody really knows who is going to be a star and who is going to be a dud.
[ Edited by Scoots on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]
well no help today
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.

Are you just quoting Grant Cohn, or are you really him. Either way, it doesn't matter about Jenkins anymore.

I guess I have to return that Jenkins jersey....
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Are you just quoting Grant Cohn, or are you really him. Either way, it doesn't matter about Jenkins anymore.

Why are people bringing up Josh Gordon who was taken in the supplemental draft.................seriously?
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.

Agreed. People are talking as with Baalke passed on AJ Green for AJ Jenkins. So far, he's only drafted 3 receivers, and only one was drafted high. People need to come off of it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke has drafted four wide receivers. Baalke was the interim general manager and in charge of the draft in 2010.

Kyle Williams was drafted in 2010.
Ronald Johnson was drafted in 2011.
AJ Jenkins was drafted in 2012.
Quinton Patton was drafted in 2013.

That totals 4 wide receivers.
Two six round picks.
One first round pick.
One fourth round pick.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Baalke has drafted four wide receivers. Baalke was the interim general manager and in charge of the draft in 2010.

Kyle Williams was drafted in 2010.
Ronald Johnson was drafted in 2011.
AJ Jenkins was drafted in 2012.
Quinton Patton was drafted in 2013.

That totals 4 wide receivers.
Two six round picks.
One first round pick.
One fourth round pick.

I deliberately left out Patton because he doesn't have any seasons under his belt, so there is litereally nothing for us to judge.
Share 49ersWebzone