There are 237 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
We do have another AJ Jenkins thread.

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's? = Evaluate AJ Jenkins.
Originally posted by buck:

RoJo falls into that thread as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

I am confused again. Are you being cryptic or I am just really slow today?
Originally posted by jreff22:

I am confused again. Are you being cryptic or I am just really slow today?

RoJo falls into the failed WR cat via Trent/Harbs scouting.
Receivers are hit and miss and generally known to be hard to evaluate, especially ones from schools that face iffy competitions. I think Jenkins will come around, he is just a slow learner. His college coach said as much. Too much knee jerk armchair gm nonsense from the peanut gallery. We get enough of that from the Cohn morons.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Worst nightmare is we release him and he goes to the Seahawks or somewhere and becomes a decent receiver.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Worst nightmare is we release him and he goes to the Seahawks or somewhere and becomes a decent receiver.

damn straight, if we originally picked him to cockblock Jeff Fisher, we might as well hold on to him for a while longer just to cockblock the rest of the league
No more Crabtree talk. McCloughan drafted him, not Baalke. Crabtree's always been a legit talent who has just come into form. His achilles injury is very unfortunate.

Nurturing WR's isn't the issue. Crabs, Kyle Williams and even Josh Morgan have proven that. Talent is talent. Austin Collie may be (and hopefully is) proving this as we speak. But have the Niners been bringing in legitimate talent? And by bringing in, I mean drafting guys who can get the job done and supplementing those picks with classy veterans. I say no, and as a result of this neglect, the WR corp is mediocre on an otherwise talented roster.

Many of you stay optimistic and "Trust in Harbaugh" (and Kaepernick for that matter), but a 16 game schedule exposes your weaknesses. I fear Jenkins is a bust, but this only opens the door for...who knows. All I'm saying is that I am questioning the evaluating of rookie WR's by our current FO. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Oh so he can't make it with us and all of a sudden he turns into a stud when he plays for the Seahawks ? No way, not happening. Let them have him if they want so he can eat up a spot on their roster.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
No more Crabtree talk. McCloughan drafted him, not Baalke. Crabtree's always been a legit talent who has just come into form. His achilles injury is very unfortunate.

Nurturing WR's isn't the issue. Crabs, Kyle Williams and even Josh Morgan have proven that. Talent is talent. Austin Collie may be (and hopefully is) proving this as we speak. But have the Niners been bringing in legitimate talent? And by bringing in, I mean drafting guys who can get the job done and supplementing those picks with classy veterans. I say no, and as a result of this neglect, the WR corp is mediocre on an otherwise talented roster.

Many of you stay optimistic and "Trust in Harbaugh" (and Kaepernick for that matter), but a 16 game schedule exposes your weaknesses. I fear Jenkins is a bust, but this only opens the door for...who knows. All I'm saying is that I am questioning the evaluating of rookie WR's by our current FO. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

You are not the only one. I also sense there is a question mark there. Next draft to me will be the acid test. I think there is a chance we might even draft 2 WRs. That is all I am giving Baalke before I form my conclusion on his WR-picking ability.

Why don't you jump into the Delorean and go back and tell Baalke not to pick AJ doc brown? WTF is the use in creating a time machine if you don't use it to make sure our team never makes a bad pick. I blame you for everything bad that you have allowed to happen since October 26th 1985.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

I'm as disenchanted with A.J. right now as anyone, but I think this analysis is off the mark. How much has the receiver corps really held the team back? This is a team that has been on the brink of a championship for 2 years in a row. Yeah, our receivers were in pretty bad shape by the time we lost to the Giants in the NFCCG two years ago, but then again we were in the NFCCG. With a "game manager" QB no less. And this last year, we didn't lose the Super Bowl because we had no receivers, we lost because we allowed 34 points including a kickoff runback and a stupid circus catch by Jacoby Jones from JOE FREAKIN FLACCO and blew the first drive of the game because of stupid penalties.

This team has done pretty well despite its "mediocre" receivers. This team is built in such a way that we'll get over the top with or without top flight receivers, I think.
Originally posted by Rascal:
You are not the only one. I also sense there is a question mark there. Next draft to me will be the acid test. I think there is a chance we might even draft 2 WRs. That is all I am giving Baalke before I form my conclusion on his WR-picking ability.

I am sure Baalke will be waiting anxiously for your evaluation of his abilities.
Jenkins got 3 games... after that I dont really care if he's cut or stays since there is nothing we can actually control. If he still has shown nothing, it will suck but Patton will be our future anyways. That kid has "it". He's gonna force his way on the field when he's healthy and make fans forget whoever was drafted before him, except for Crabs.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I guess since Alex Smith is gone, time to find someone to pick on. A.J Jenkins come on down
Share 49ersWebzone