Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You would have taken desean over I believe it was Balmer that year but mccloughan believed smaller players would not last the season

I was just having this convo with a buddy the other day and I still can't believe we didn't take DeSean when Rice trained him. Not only did we pass on DeSean once, but we took Chilo Rachal instead of him also.. SMH, we still haven't found that deep threat speedster and it's been how long?

That is a good point ! Too long, way too long !!

I went to Cal and have a tendency to root for Cal players, but Desean Jackson was one of the few players that I did not want the 49ers to draft.

I have a very strong feeling that he was, and has been, a profound cancer in the locker room.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
IMO wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft. I can't think of one team that consistently drafts/develops stud wide receivers. New England and New Orleans both have great systems where guys put up numbers but once they leave those teams you never hear from them again. On the same note NE hasn't had a deep threat/true number one since Moss. They crapped out on Lloyd, Ocho, and others since then.

NY Giants seem to good in this dept., but even they miss on guys.

Although we may disagree on many things, but you are definitely right about the Giants. They have done a stellar job in this area, Nicks, Cruz and now Randle. Frankly, they are not too shabby in picking RBs neither.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.

Have the Patriots ever won a Super Bowl with a first round pick receiver on the team? The Giants? Actually, I've read that first round receiver is not as good a bet as some other positions - yes we got lucky with Crabtree and back in the day, there was Jerry Rice. But, I think people who want a first round receiver next year are going to be disappointed again. My prediction, and I'm not the only one making it, is that they'll draft the best corner available in the first round next year. And, I'm totally fine with that.

Whew. The draft is a eon away, but what the ell. I would like to see us draft two wide receivers in the upcoming draft, but I am not pushing for us to take a wide receiver in the first.

I an intrigued by Hasean Clinton-Dix, safety from Alabama. He might be there in the first.

If KC goes 8-8 and we get a 2nd, we could use one of our seconds on a wide receiver and one on a corner back.

We will have two thirds, so we could trade one of them to move in the 2nd. I would use a third and a fourth to draft an offensive tackle and a 2nd wide receiver.

This is my tentative framework for next year's draft, and I stress tentative. We still have a full season of NFL and College Football to play.

And I am hoping that we get a 3rd round comp.
Although we may disagree on many things, but you are definitely right about the Giants. They have done a stellar job in this area, Nicks, Cruz and now Randle. Frankly, they are not too shabby in picking RBs neither.

I'm sure having Eli at QB doesn't hurt, makes the GM look a hell of a lot smarter.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'm sure having Eli at QB doesn't hurt, makes the GM look a hell of a lot smarter.

I guess that having Kaepernick could make Baalke look smarter. No. that might be illegal.
Originally posted by buck:

I guess that having Kaepernick could make Baalke look smarter. No. that might be illegal.

IF AJ does fail, it will change the dynamic of the conversation around here. The old saying that, "the QB makes the WR play and look better" could go down in flames with AJ. I dont care about the other guys around you, each player needs talent and heart to succeed. If a WR cant break free, run the correct route, get open, and make the catch the QB will look in the opposite direction.

Well, sure it doesn't hurt. But, that is my point also, we now have Kap, imagine if our receiving corps were full of studs ? What I am saying is it only makes perfect sense to give Kap the best weapons to harness his full potential. If we did that, Kap would blow the field up and even Eli might have step aside.
Originally posted by jreff22:

IF AJ does fail, it will change the dynamic of the conversation around here. The old saying that, "the QB makes the WR play and look better" could go down in flames with AJ. I dont care about the other guys around you, each player needs talent and heart to succeed. If a WR cant break free, run the correct route, get open, and make the catch the QB will look in the opposite direction.

No doubt, although playing with a stud QB like Kap can help, it can only help to a certain degree. This is not magic, I don't care how great a QB is, is unfair to expect him to be able to perform miracles to turn a scrub into a stud, or just let's say somone that is playing so far below par if scrub is too strong.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We do have another AJ Jenkins thread.

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's? = Evaluate AJ Jenkins.

RoJo falls into that thread as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I am confused again. Are you being cryptic or I am just really slow today?

I am confused again. Are you being cryptic or I am just really slow today?

RoJo falls into the failed WR cat via Trent/Harbs scouting.
Receivers are hit and miss and generally known to be hard to evaluate, especially ones from schools that face iffy competitions. I think Jenkins will come around, he is just a slow learner. His college coach said as much. Too much knee jerk armchair gm nonsense from the peanut gallery. We get enough of that from the Cohn morons.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Worst nightmare is we release him and he goes to the Seahawks or somewhere and becomes a decent receiver.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Worst nightmare is we release him and he goes to the Seahawks or somewhere and becomes a decent receiver.

damn straight, if we originally picked him to cockblock Jeff Fisher, we might as well hold on to him for a while longer just to cockblock the rest of the league