There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

I nominate this thread for the most overly melodramatic and alarmist of 2013 so far.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.
IMO wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft. I can't think of one team that consistently drafts/develops stud wide receivers. New England and New Orleans both have great systems where guys put up numbers but once they leave those teams you never hear from them again. On the same note NE hasn't had a deep threat/true number one since Moss. They crapped out on Lloyd, Ocho, and others since then.
This might sound strange, but maybe we look for the wrong kind of person when scouting wide receivers. We always look for those "gold helmet" character guys. Seems like a fair amount of WR's have a little "jerk" in them. They're cocky, confident, and in some cases complete a*****es. Maybe we should take a chance on a few of those guys.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
IMO wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft. I can't think of one team that consistently drafts/develops stud wide receivers. New England and New Orleans both have great systems where guys put up numbers but once they leave those teams you never hear from them again. On the same note NE hasn't had a deep threat/true number one since Moss. They crapped out on Lloyd, Ocho, and others since then.

NY Giants seem to good in this dept., but even they miss on guys.
IMO we have a sh*tty WR coach. not surprised given that he came from USC
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.

I wouldn't do it unless it's a slam dunk prospect like CJ. Most top ten WR prospects are busts. WR is probably the second most difficult group to evaluate behind quarterbacks. Second round picks are gold.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I wouldn't do it unless it's a slam dunk prospect like CJ. Most top ten WR prospects are busts. WR is probably the second most difficult group to evaluate behind quarterbacks. Second round picks are gold.

Word
It seems Baalke either over-rated the receivers the team had, or under-estimated the importance of WRs to this offense. In either case, we are starting yet another season with WR being the weakest position on the team. Even if Crabtree were healthy, this would still not be a bunch that would keep DCs awake at night.
Originally posted by dj43:
It seems Baalke either over-rated the receivers the team had, or under-estimated the importance of WRs to this offense. In either case, we are starting yet another season with WR being the weakest position on the team. Even if Crabtree were healthy, this would still not be a bunch that would keep DCs awake at night.

Disagree, a healthy crabs would've given us one of the better tandems in the league. Is it ATL's group? No. But it would have been, and will be when Crabs returns, one of the more formidable groups in the league. Add in VD and Vance, along with our backs that can catch and run, not too mention a QB that can make every throw, and I guarantee our passing offense is nothing to ignore for opposing teams.

Kap, this OL, the RBs, and the TEs keep them up at night. All the WRs have to do is block, catch and get that YAC. This team isn't built around CJ like DET or Fitz like AZ. We are a well oiled machine with a dominant running game and dangerous TEs and a very dangerous dual threat do anything QB. We would love a CJ but we would need to invest significant draft capital and/or free agency bucks in order to get that type of guy and we might compromise the rest of our roster in doing so. Now all we can do is to hope we get lucky in the next draft where we happen to have again significant draft capital to spend.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Disagree, a healthy crabs would've given us one of the better tandems in the league. Is it ATL's group? No. But it would have been, and will be when Crabs returns, one of the more formidable groups in the league. Add in VD and Vance, along with our backs that can catch and run, not too mention a QB that can make every throw, and I guarantee our passing offense is nothing to ignore for opposing teams.

I would prefer Crabs / Boldin over what Atlanta has even. Sure Atlanta's guys can beat you deep, but Crabs / Boldin have hands hands hands, run good routes, are very strong, can get yards after the catch as well as anybody, and can fight for the ball in the air like few can. Running a half step faster in a straight line is always overrated.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]
McCloughan drafted Crabtree. Baalke has drafted no good receivers. Fire heeem.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
oh look, another AJ Jenkins thread

Originally posted by English:
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?

I think it's safe to say mods AJ Jenkins has reached "Alex Smith" level topic discussion status

Have the Patriots ever won a Super Bowl with a first round pick receiver on the team? The Giants? Actually, I've read that first round receiver is not as good a bet as some other positions - yes we got lucky with Crabtree and back in the day, there was Jerry Rice. But, I think people who want a first round receiver next year are going to be disappointed again. My prediction, and I'm not the only one making it, is that they'll draft the best corner available in the first round next year. And, I'm totally fine with that.