LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.

I wouldn't do it unless it's a slam dunk prospect like CJ. Most top ten WR prospects are busts. WR is probably the second most difficult group to evaluate behind quarterbacks. Second round picks are gold.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.

I wouldn't do it unless it's a slam dunk prospect like CJ. Most top ten WR prospects are busts. WR is probably the second most difficult group to evaluate behind quarterbacks. Second round picks are gold.

Word
  • dj43
It seems Baalke either over-rated the receivers the team had, or under-estimated the importance of WRs to this offense. In either case, we are starting yet another season with WR being the weakest position on the team. Even if Crabtree were healthy, this would still not be a bunch that would keep DCs awake at night.
Originally posted by dj43:
It seems Baalke either over-rated the receivers the team had, or under-estimated the importance of WRs to this offense. In either case, we are starting yet another season with WR being the weakest position on the team. Even if Crabtree were healthy, this would still not be a bunch that would keep DCs awake at night.

Kap, this OL, the RBs, and the TEs keep them up at night. All the WRs have to do is block, catch and get that YAC. This team isn't built around CJ like DET or Fitz like AZ. We are a well oiled machine with a dominant running game and dangerous TEs and a very dangerous dual threat do anything QB. We would love a CJ but we would need to invest significant draft capital and/or free agency bucks in order to get that type of guy and we might compromise the rest of our roster in doing so. Now all we can do is to hope we get lucky in the next draft where we happen to have again significant draft capital to spend.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Disagree, a healthy crabs would've given us one of the better tandems in the league. Is it ATL's group? No. But it would have been, and will be when Crabs returns, one of the more formidable groups in the league. Add in VD and Vance, along with our backs that can catch and run, not too mention a QB that can make every throw, and I guarantee our passing offense is nothing to ignore for opposing teams.

I would prefer Crabs / Boldin over what Atlanta has even. Sure Atlanta's guys can beat you deep, but Crabs / Boldin have hands hands hands, run good routes, are very strong, can get yards after the catch as well as anybody, and can fight for the ball in the air like few can. Running a half step faster in a straight line is always overrated.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]
McCloughan drafted Crabtree. Baalke has drafted no good receivers. Fire heeem.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:
oh look, another AJ Jenkins thread

Originally posted by English:
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?

I think it's safe to say mods AJ Jenkins has reached "Alex Smith" level topic discussion status

Have the Patriots ever won a Super Bowl with a first round pick receiver on the team? The Giants? Actually, I've read that first round receiver is not as good a bet as some other positions - yes we got lucky with Crabtree and back in the day, there was Jerry Rice. But, I think people who want a first round receiver next year are going to be disappointed again. My prediction, and I'm not the only one making it, is that they'll draft the best corner available in the first round next year. And, I'm totally fine with that.
I'd say there is a definite hole here in the scouting and selection process. I think Jenkins will come around at some point. He will probably just blow up in one game and go from there. Its a whole confidence thing right now. He obviously has talent because he produced for more than one year at a major college. At some point I think it will just click. Rice struggled his rookie year and had catching issues. Crabtree was the same. Get him the reps and eventually he'll pop.
Right now their sample size is 2, 3 with Patton... cant really determine how good they are just yet. Patton will step it up when he gets healthy, he will be the type of player that forces his way into the rotation.

All them other wr's listed have done what??? not much in my opinion i'm still giving Jenkins a bit more time and well this preseason to show some ability but I didnt think he was 1st rd material when we drafted him think he does have skills to be a decent player at some point though
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Both !! For one, we had noone left after Crab and Mario went down. Last year, when Kyle and Mario went down, we had the same problem and this year we are still talking about the same thing. Injuries happen, is just part of the game, the thing is you have to plan for it. When you don't draft enough and the little number of WRs you draft have problems such as Jenkins, that is how you end up in trouble. Missing the mark in the draft is one thing, it happens ,I get it, but if you don't have enough to begin with and considering the hit rate on WR can be somewhat lower, you just have to draft more than one a year until you have the situation under control.

So, to answer your question, they definitely over-rated Jenkins to say the least. At the same time when we only had Jenkins, Lockette, Hall and Patton (excluding Boldin as a starter) left at the time of Crab's injury just goes to show they underestimated the importance of having qualty back-ups.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
then we suck at evaluating WRs

Quite possible. If Patton or the next WR draft pick busts then is pretty much confirmed.

well looking at the past WRs drafted the last 10 yrs...pretty much confirms it

Yes, but if we are trying to guage Baalke now, we can only look at the past 3 years I suppose.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke has been in charge of four drafts. The first was in 2010 when Baalke was the interim general manager.

In 2010, we drafted Kyle Williams in the sixth round. He has been moderately productive.

In 2011, we drafted Ronald Johnson in the sixth round. He could not make the team. Bad pick.

In 2012, we drafted AJ Jenkins in the first round. He had no production in his first year

In 2013, we drafted Quinton Patton in the fourth round. He has not played one down of football in the NFL.

If the question is premature, answering the question is not smart.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
They got too cute drafting Jenkins. Moving up for a player that wasnt even graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder is a pretty glaring mistake. They get a pass because how great the rest of the picks have been, but I never got the Jenkins pick, and now he might be even worse of a bust than Rashaun Woods, which is hard to do.

They moved up for Jenkins? I had no idea. I do not think that happened.
Share 49ersWebzone