There are 212 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
out of the box thinking.. Like Those other WRs have a higher % of being great which could lead to higher contracts down the road. Jenkins didn't have a potential super star label , but could produce results without creating a superstar level (workhorse)

idk..thats the only reason i can think of why we passed on the other receivers

LOL, OK got you.

But, it doesn't make sense. You can draft a top guy and enjoy him for 4 years for close to nothing at least before the big contract comes. You can always decide whether you want to extend at that point.

then we suck at evaluating WRs
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I remember watching the draft with utter anticipation of the first pick. I am embarrased to say I had my sights set on Coby Fleener then Reuben Randle.

When they drafted AJ Jenkins, the announcers all had an immediate reaction of WHOA!! where did that come from?? The producers had to scramble because no one had file clips available to show on tv, as no one, no one anticipated Jenkins going in round 2 let alone round 1.

It just plain sucks, that is all I have to say. Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, the team cannot draft a WR to save their lifes. Lets hope Quinton Patton proves us wrong.

It was no doubt a left field pick.

I was hoping to go for what I now call the Giants preemption route. I would have taken David Wilson in the 1st followed by Rueben Randle at 61st. Our picks were just higher than the Giants and we could have creamed them. Both of them are better players in ther respective positions than Jenkins and James in my opinion.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Quite possible. If Patton or the next WR draft pick busts then is pretty much confirmed.

Quite possible. If Patton or the next WR draft pick busts then is pretty much confirmed.

well looking at the past WRs drafted the last 10 yrs...pretty much confirms it
If Crabs walks and Boldin doesn't stay it will get interesting
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jreff22:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

Jerry Rice told them to take desean and we didnt. i know that was the old regime but we wouldnt be in this mess if we took him. maybe jerry can be a WR consultant. he offered to train AJ at the hill and AJ backed out and still hasnt gone after over a year.

I am not exactly a huge Desean fan per se, but I think is a great idea. I am sure Jerry must know how to guage WRs.

You would have taken desean over I believe it was Balmer that year but mccloughan believed smaller players would not last the season
Originally posted by jreff22:
If Crabs walks and Boldin doesn't stay it will get interesting

Then we will spend some of our considerable draft capital on WRs
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You would have taken desean over I believe it was Balmer that year but mccloughan believed smaller players would not last the season

I was just having this convo with a buddy the other day and I still can't believe we didn't take DeSean when Rice trained him. Not only did we pass on DeSean once, but we took Chilo Rachal instead of him also.. SMH, we still haven't found that deep threat speedster and it's been how long?
[ Edited by PrimeTime on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It think that since Johnson was a sixth round pick and Patton is unknown, you just created another AJ Jenkins thread. Redundant, no?

This.

I disagree. Instead of whining about it being another thread or about Jenkins, we can actually discuss the ability of our front office management to fill the WR position.

We have a primetime QB and a glaring weakness at WR since Lord only knows how much Crabtree is going to ask for. So our ability to scout WRs is a good subject because it isint an AJ Jenkins-alone issue and it isint an issue that's just going to just disappear tomorrow.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74: ............... They're built on defense, a strong running game, one of the league's best TEs (and his rookie companion), one of the game's most dangerous all-around QB threats and just enough WR production to keep people honest.

You kinda lost me when you listed a 2nd round rook under what we're built on and we've had 1 preseason game.

This league is a passing league. What makes our "dangerous" QB most dangerous is getting the ball down the field to WRs. Last year he were able to start the year with the most dangerous deep threat in NFL history, a budding star in Crabtree, a healthy Manningham and Kyle Williams (pre injury), and an extra 4.5 Million dollar tight end.

We have to recognize the fact that we're going to start off the year without them, so when that many valuable players are not there, it is a concern worth discussing.

Crabtree isint a speedster by any means, but Boldin certainly doesn't wont have the young legs Crabs has to stretch the field any. We expect him to fill in nicely on short routes tho.....

....then who else? It's just a mystery we'll have to wonder about until it's solved.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]

I nominate this thread for the most overly melodramatic and alarmist of 2013 so far.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to package our second round pick and KC"s possible second rounder and move up in the first round for one of the better WR's in the draft. We need WR help bad.
IMO wide receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft. I can't think of one team that consistently drafts/develops stud wide receivers. New England and New Orleans both have great systems where guys put up numbers but once they leave those teams you never hear from them again. On the same note NE hasn't had a deep threat/true number one since Moss. They crapped out on Lloyd, Ocho, and others since then.
This might sound strange, but maybe we look for the wrong kind of person when scouting wide receivers. We always look for those "gold helmet" character guys. Seems like a fair amount of WR's have a little "jerk" in them. They're cocky, confident, and in some cases complete a*****es. Maybe we should take a chance on a few of those guys.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM ]
IMO we have a sh*tty WR coach. not surprised given that he came from USC
Share 49ersWebzone