Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by hohbie:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.

ya, drafting gore was a huge f**k up. the injured players we draft are no just nobodies, theyre guys who wouldve gone in the first round if they were healthy. those are the kinds of gambles you take when you already have a legit team. when lattimore and tank tear it up next year youre gonna see why it was smart to draft them
He does have a point to a certain degree. We do need some solid production out of the young guys. I dont mind taking an injured player but 2 at a high spot is a gamble. While Gore tends to be the benchmark, I wouldn't consider him the norm.

This was the perfect year to do it. We were loaded with picks and we have a loaded roster. I am shocked people didnt love those picks. They will pay off in the end and if for some reason they dont, no biggy. Worth the gamble for two people that would have likely been first rounders. We also still had second (McDonald) and fourth (Patton) round picks that will likely contribute. Win win.

Don't get me wrong I love the players. I was talking about Tank before most were. When I look at position like WR, OT, ILB you have to ask was bypassing those players worth it in the now? You will always have holes but we have some pretty big ones at key positions.

I couldn't see spending a high pick on a OT or ILB, WR yes. Sure it would of been great to get Woods, or Hunter, but we didn't know that Crabs would have the achilles injury. I like Tank, hoping he plays this year, same with Dial. Have no issue with Lattimore. a 4th rd pick for a guy who could be our next great back was worth it. His signing bonus was smaller than most 4th rd picks, and way smaller than anything a 1st or 2nd rd pick got.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.

That is quite another can of worms. But, I agree. At the time I was thinking are the 49ers a hospital or something ?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I couldn't see spending a high pick on a OT or ILB, WR yes. Sure it would of been great to get Woods, or Hunter, but we didn't know that Crabs would have the achilles injury. I like Tank, hoping he plays this year, same with Dial. Have no issue with Lattimore. a 4th rd pick for a guy who could be our next great back was worth it. His signing bonus was smaller than most 4th rd picks, and way smaller than anything a 1st or 2nd rd pick got.
Even if Crabs stayed healthy we have (you know this) lots of guys who are in or almost in contract time. I wanted to draft 2 WR's just to be on the safe side.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well to be fair, we haven't had a great receiver since TO. I'm just as concerned with all the fail-FA WR's we've brought in. And perhaps, the bigger question beyond a keen eye for WR talent going WAY back to even Rashaun Woods, is why can't we develop these guys? And when we do, why does it take so long (ala Crabtree). Is the playbook that hard to grasp? Do they just not have much ability? Desire? Too small/weak? Poor coaching? Not included much in the HaRoMan offense? Hard to get into any rhythm?

THIS. This is why I'd rather pick up vets who are free agents whose mentorship will be very valuable as well.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
out of the box thinking.. Like Those other WRs have a higher % of being great which could lead to higher contracts down the road. Jenkins didn't have a potential super star label , but could produce results without creating a superstar level (workhorse)

idk..thats the only reason i can think of why we passed on the other receivers

LOL, OK got you.

But, it doesn't make sense. You can draft a top guy and enjoy him for 4 years for close to nothing at least before the big contract comes. You can always decide whether you want to extend at that point.
Originally posted by Rascal:
out of the box thinking.. Like Those other WRs have a higher % of being great which could lead to higher contracts down the road. Jenkins didn't have a potential super star label , but could produce results without creating a superstar level (workhorse)

idk..thats the only reason i can think of why we passed on the other receivers

LOL, OK got you.

But, it doesn't make sense. You can draft a top guy and enjoy him for 4 years for close to nothing at least before the big contract comes. You can always decide whether you want to extend at that point.

then we suck at evaluating WRs
Originally posted by 9erred:
I remember watching the draft with utter anticipation of the first pick. I am embarrased to say I had my sights set on Coby Fleener then Reuben Randle.

When they drafted AJ Jenkins, the announcers all had an immediate reaction of WHOA!! where did that come from?? The producers had to scramble because no one had file clips available to show on tv, as no one, no one anticipated Jenkins going in round 2 let alone round 1.

It just plain sucks, that is all I have to say. Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, the team cannot draft a WR to save their lifes. Lets hope Quinton Patton proves us wrong.

It was no doubt a left field pick.

I was hoping to go for what I now call the Giants preemption route. I would have taken David Wilson in the 1st followed by Rueben Randle at 61st. Our picks were just higher than the Giants and we could have creamed them. Both of them are better players in ther respective positions than Jenkins and James in my opinion.

Quite possible. If Patton or the next WR draft pick busts then is pretty much confirmed.

Quite possible. If Patton or the next WR draft pick busts then is pretty much confirmed.

well looking at the past WRs drafted the last 10 yrs...pretty much confirms it
If Crabs walks and Boldin doesn't stay it will get interesting
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

Jerry Rice told them to take desean and we didnt. i know that was the old regime but we wouldnt be in this mess if we took him. maybe jerry can be a WR consultant. he offered to train AJ at the hill and AJ backed out and still hasnt gone after over a year.

I am not exactly a huge Desean fan per se, but I think is a great idea. I am sure Jerry must know how to guage WRs.

You would have taken desean over I believe it was Balmer that year but mccloughan believed smaller players would not last the season
If Crabs walks and Boldin doesn't stay it will get interesting

Then we will spend some of our considerable draft capital on WRs
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
You would have taken desean over I believe it was Balmer that year but mccloughan believed smaller players would not last the season

I was just having this convo with a buddy the other day and I still can't believe we didn't take DeSean when Rice trained him. Not only did we pass on DeSean once, but we took Chilo Rachal instead of him also.. SMH, we still haven't found that deep threat speedster and it's been how long?
[ Edited by PrimeTime on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It think that since Johnson was a sixth round pick and Patton is unknown, you just created another AJ Jenkins thread. Redundant, no?

This.

I disagree. Instead of whining about it being another thread or about Jenkins, we can actually discuss the ability of our front office management to fill the WR position.

We have a primetime QB and a glaring weakness at WR since Lord only knows how much Crabtree is going to ask for. So our ability to scout WRs is a good subject because it isint an AJ Jenkins-alone issue and it isint an issue that's just going to just disappear tomorrow.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74: ............... They're built on defense, a strong running game, one of the league's best TEs (and his rookie companion), one of the game's most dangerous all-around QB threats and just enough WR production to keep people honest.

You kinda lost me when you listed a 2nd round rook under what we're built on and we've had 1 preseason game.

This league is a passing league. What makes our "dangerous" QB most dangerous is getting the ball down the field to WRs. Last year he were able to start the year with the most dangerous deep threat in NFL history, a budding star in Crabtree, a healthy Manningham and Kyle Williams (pre injury), and an extra 4.5 Million dollar tight end.

We have to recognize the fact that we're going to start off the year without them, so when that many valuable players are not there, it is a concern worth discussing.

Crabtree isint a speedster by any means, but Boldin certainly doesn't wont have the young legs Crabs has to stretch the field any. We expect him to fill in nicely on short routes tho.....

....then who else? It's just a mystery we'll have to wonder about until it's solved.
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home