There are 214 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anyone know how long Patton is supposed to be out? I think a broken finger usually takes about a month to six weeks to heal. When did he break it again?
Baalke took one WR in 2010 who everyone has believed is a great WR in Kyle Williams. And he isn't half bad, not experienced at returns, but a good 3rd or 4th WR on a team. Now he needs to step up more.

Also Gordon was supplemental draft pick, 2nd rd one by Cleveland. Reason they had no 2nd this past draft.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jreff22:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

should we bring back McClueless?
Originally posted by 16to87:

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

should we bring back McClueless?

Lol no. But having a "Morgan" wouldn't be a bad thing right now.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not to mention...the right QB can make even the most mediocre WRs look better than they really are. Whether that be extending plays, getting the ball DEEP down field, fitting throws into small windows or just the threat of being gashed by the read-option. It's possible that with Kap behind center, he can turn our WR trash (Boldin being the exception) into something useful.

Btw, the most interesting WR to me is Lockette. Teams are going to cover him 1-on-1, but with that size/speed, if he can begin making plays downfield, that opens up a whole new world for this offense. If teams choose to use single coverage on him and he makes plays, they're f**ked....if they choose to roll a safety his way, that opens up the middle for our TEs and they're f**ked.

He's the guy that could make the biggest difference, IMO.

I really wish Lockette would get it because we need him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

I think that would be a great and fair benchmark. If Jenkins busts, we can start monitoring on his next WR draft and if either Patton or a new WR draft pick busts, I think is enough to hoist the red flag.
Patton will put this thread to bed. He is gonna end up 3rd or 4th in catches, I'll put money on it. He will ball out
I actually think we will be just fine at WR. I think everyone of those guys is a serviceable number 2 receiver. It's just that someone has to eventually be given the job.

I've said this before but I think our TE's will be the real number two. I expect Boldin, Davis an McDonald to collectively receive 65-70% percent of CK's pass attempts. Gore and the other WR's will get the rest.
Originally posted by Rascal:

I think that would be a great and fair benchmark. If Jenkins busts, we can start monitoring on his next WR draft and if either Patton or a new WR draft pick busts, I think is enough to hoist the red flag.
Even if this was the case I wouldnt be too worried. Jenkins should not suck since he is a first rounder, but how many first round receivers have busted? A lot. I dont think he should get flak for Patton or Johnson since they are second half of the draft picks. I dont know who gets credit for Williams since it was during a weird situation. Id give him another 1 or 2 round receiver before judging.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hohbie:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Even if this was the case I wouldnt be too worried. Jenkins should not suck since he is a first rounder, but how many first round receivers have busted? A lot. I dont think he should get flak for Patton or Johnson since they are second half of the draft picks. I dont know who gets credit for Williams since it was during a weird situation. Id give him another 1 or 2 round receiver before judging.

Well, the thing is 1 round can already be pretty costly. Do you mean 1 year or simply 1 more pick ? I think you need to perhaps look at what other better WR picks are being selected by other teams and once you contrast that to Baalke's picks you will feel the full force of the wrong pick. I will settle with 1 more draft year, 2 is just too much for me to handle.

Jerry Rice told them to take desean and we didnt. i know that was the old regime but we wouldnt be in this mess if we took him. maybe jerry can be a WR consultant. he offered to train AJ at the hill and AJ backed out and still hasnt gone after over a year.
This thread is f**king potato. Lock it up, mods.
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.
I remember watching the draft with utter anticipation of the first pick. I am embarrased to say I had my sights set on Coby Fleener then Reuben Randle.

When they drafted AJ Jenkins, the announcers all had an immediate reaction of WHOA!! where did that come from?? The producers had to scramble because no one had file clips available to show on tv, as no one, no one anticipated Jenkins going in round 2 let alone round 1.

It just plain sucks, that is all I have to say. Rashaun Woods, AJ Jenkins, the team cannot draft a WR to save their lifes. Lets hope Quinton Patton proves us wrong.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.

ya, drafting gore was a huge f**k up. the injured players we draft are no just nobodies, theyre guys who wouldve gone in the first round if they were healthy. those are the kinds of gambles you take when you already have a legit team. when lattimore and tank tear it up next year youre gonna see why it was smart to draft them
Share 49ersWebzone