There are 173 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Patton will put this thread to bed. He is gonna end up 3rd or 4th in catches, I'll put money on it. He will ball out

Ride the wave, you could probably double down right now and say he'd finish higher than 3rd...kid looks goooood

Nah Im being realistic, Boldin and VD will have more catches, no doubt about that. But Patton will finish in the 40s and 50s reception range. But anyone who saw his game against A&M would of made the same bet... everything about the kid in college looked like it would translate to the pros.

OK, 3rd in catches...2nd in yards to VD?

Nah not even close, Boldin and VD will win 1 and 2 in every receiving category. The #2 & #3 WR positions will be a combo of KW, Moore and Patton with Baldwin in the red zone. After Boldin and VD there will be a substancial drop off, but unlike in years past where the #2 WR has 20 catches it will be more like 50 catches 500-600 yards.
Nah not even close, Boldin and VD will win 1 and 2 in every receiving category. The #2 & #3 WR positions will be a combo of KW, Moore and Patton with Baldwin in the red zone. After Boldin and VD there will be a substancial drop off, but unlike in years past where the #2 WR has 20 catches it will be more like 50 catches 500-600 yards.

I'll take it
I'll take it

Forgot to add in Manningham after week 6, but yeah I just dont think there will be enough passes to go around to give everyone spectacular stats. But I'd be surprised if we dont have at least 4 or 5 receivers above 20 catches unlike years past.
It's funny how much I was flamed for calling Baalke overrated. How do you explain the Cam Johnson trade? You do NOT trade a promising young player for a freakin 7th round pick.
Originally posted by spizzy:
It's funny how much I was flamed for calling Baalke overrated. How do you explain the Cam Johnson trade? You do NOT trade a promising young player for a freakin 7th round pick.

You do if you are Baalke and you feel you need a different player to fill a different need and the opportunity comes up that you can get rid of a fringe player and get a player that you feel will round out the team in a weaker area.
5280, not to be cantankerous, but I will put money on Vance for 25 catches...maybe more. A lot will depend on VD being doubled, same for Boldin, but somebody has got to be singled, and this yr, that makes us dangerous. Also depends in spread set, just how many guys are lining up to catch a pass. My dream?

Boldin Patton Vance Vernon Baldwin. That is a set I would love to see half or more of every game. And it all depends on who gets doubled and who doesn't.

As for a hx of drafting bad WRs, Crabs made up for a lot of bad with Rashuan...but that was a long time back...yet it still hurts.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
Bump
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
5280, not to be cantankerous, but I will put money on Vance for 25 catches...maybe more. A lot will depend on VD being doubled, same for Boldin, but somebody has got to be singled, and this yr, that makes us dangerous. Also depends in spread set, just how many guys are lining up to catch a pass. My dream?

Boldin Patton Vance Vernon Baldwin. That is a set I would love to see half or more of every game. And it all depends on who gets doubled and who doesn't.

As for a hx of drafting bad WRs, Crabs made up for a lot of bad with Rashuan...but that was a long time back...yet it still hurts.

crabs was a consensus best receiver in the draft tho, raiders were stupid enough to gift wrap him for us. besides crabs they havent drafted receivers well at all. last true #1 we had was T.O. before crabs. i think it falls back on coaching, all those guys we took couldnt all be bad. whenever we bring in a guy from outside like isaac bruce, jackson, moss or any of the other decent receivers weve brought in, even if they were a little old, seemed to underachieve here. qb is a factor too but i think the coaching or scheming for WRs is just not that good.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

crabs was a consensus best receiver in the draft tho, raiders were stupid enough to gift wrap him for us. besides crabs they havent drafted receivers well at all. last true #1 we had was T.O. before crabs. i think it falls back on coaching, all those guys we took couldnt all be bad. whenever we bring in a guy from outside like isaac bruce, jackson, moss or any of the other decent receivers weve brought in, even if they were a little old, seemed to underachieve here. qb is a factor too but i think the coaching or scheming for WRs is just not that good.

Might have something to do with us having a run first mentality all these years. The previous regime loved Josh Morgan because he blocked so well but it seemed like Jim was finally starting to get some decent production out of him before his injury and then when he healed the Redskins snatched him up as a free agent with a sizeable contract
Share 49ersWebzone