There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Everyone is forgetting the fact that a GM's job goes well beyond just the draft.

Baalke has done an epic job of obtaining players from other teams and taking the players we already have and PROMOTING them into starting positions.

McDonald became a starter the first year under Baalke.
Brooks became a starter the first year under Baalke.
Bowman became a starter the first year under Baalke.
I think Brown became a starter the first year under Baalke. The previous regime barely let him on the field.

We became an elite defense just because of the decisions he made to promote certain players.
That has nothing to do with Trent. The coaches will play a player when they are ready.

But they have to have the talent to be even in a place of readiness right? The next set of acquisitions are looking good this summer - Cox and Awesomeguy
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Everyone is forgetting the fact that a GM's job goes well beyond just the draft.

Baalke has done an epic job of obtaining players from other teams and taking the players we already have and PROMOTING them into starting positions.

McDonald became a starter the first year under Baalke.
Brooks became a starter the first year under Baalke.
Bowman became a starter the first year under Baalke.
I think Brown became a starter the first year under Baalke. The previous regime barely let him on the field.

We became an elite defense just because of the decisions he made to promote certain players.
That has nothing to do with Trent. The coaches will play a player when they are ready.

But they have to have the talent to be even in a place of readiness right? The next set of acquisitions are looking good this summer - Cox and Awesomeguy

I dont disagree with that. Trent reloads the talent and the coaches pick the best of the bunch to play.
Originally posted by ayetee:
...but he drafted Jenkins. He's gotta go.

Has even one person suggested we need a new GM?

. . . The GM's JOB is to handle personnel decisions and long-term strategy.

No . . . just . . . no.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Patton will put this thread to bed. He is gonna end up 3rd or 4th in catches, I'll put money on it. He will ball out

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by ayetee:
...but he drafted Jenkins. He's gotta go.

Has even one person suggested we need a new GM?
no one ever said we needed or want a new GM. that was just classic labeling when someone dares question the front office on a player decision,, even when it is well deserved like in the case of jenkins. and the linebacker huggins, higgins whoever the f**k he was
Patton will put this thread to bed. He is gonna end up 3rd or 4th in catches, I'll put money on it. He will ball out

Ride the wave, you could probably double down right now and say he'd finish higher than 3rd...kid looks goooood
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Ride the wave, you could probably double down right now and say he'd finish higher than 3rd...kid looks goooood

Nah Im being realistic, Boldin and VD will have more catches, no doubt about that. But Patton will finish in the 40s and 50s reception range. But anyone who saw his game against A&M would of made the same bet... everything about the kid in college looked like it would translate to the pros.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM ]

Nah Im being realistic, Boldin and VD will have more catches, no doubt about that. But Patton will finish in the 40s and 50s reception range. But anyone who saw his game against A&M would of made the same bet... everything about the kid in college looked like it would translate to the pros.

OK, 3rd in catches...2nd in yards to VD?

OK, 3rd in catches...2nd in yards to VD?

Nah not even close, Boldin and VD will win 1 and 2 in every receiving category. The #2 & #3 WR positions will be a combo of KW, Moore and Patton with Baldwin in the red zone. After Boldin and VD there will be a substancial drop off, but unlike in years past where the #2 WR has 20 catches it will be more like 50 catches 500-600 yards.
Nah not even close, Boldin and VD will win 1 and 2 in every receiving category. The #2 & #3 WR positions will be a combo of KW, Moore and Patton with Baldwin in the red zone. After Boldin and VD there will be a substancial drop off, but unlike in years past where the #2 WR has 20 catches it will be more like 50 catches 500-600 yards.

I'll take it
I'll take it

Forgot to add in Manningham after week 6, but yeah I just dont think there will be enough passes to go around to give everyone spectacular stats. But I'd be surprised if we dont have at least 4 or 5 receivers above 20 catches unlike years past.
It's funny how much I was flamed for calling Baalke overrated. How do you explain the Cam Johnson trade? You do NOT trade a promising young player for a freakin 7th round pick.
Originally posted by spizzy:
It's funny how much I was flamed for calling Baalke overrated. How do you explain the Cam Johnson trade? You do NOT trade a promising young player for a freakin 7th round pick.

You do if you are Baalke and you feel you need a different player to fill a different need and the opportunity comes up that you can get rid of a fringe player and get a player that you feel will round out the team in a weaker area.
5280, not to be cantankerous, but I will put money on Vance for 25 catches...maybe more. A lot will depend on VD being doubled, same for Boldin, but somebody has got to be singled, and this yr, that makes us dangerous. Also depends in spread set, just how many guys are lining up to catch a pass. My dream?

Boldin Patton Vance Vernon Baldwin. That is a set I would love to see half or more of every game. And it all depends on who gets doubled and who doesn't.

As for a hx of drafting bad WRs, Crabs made up for a lot of bad with Rashuan...but that was a long time back...yet it still hurts.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]