There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Well to be fair, we haven't had a great receiver since TO. I'm just as concerned with all the fail-FA WR's we've brought in. And perhaps, the bigger question beyond a keen eye for WR talent going WAY back to even Rashaun Woods, is why can't we develop these guys? And when we do, why does it take so long (ala Crabtree). Is the playbook that hard to grasp? Do they just not have much ability? Desire? Too small/weak? Poor coaching? Not included much in the HaRoMan offense? Hard to get into any rhythm?
NC...no love for Crabtree?!
Originally posted by verb1der:

Took forever! And let's be honest, he still has some limitations. Too bad b/c I would have loved to see him develop even further this year but once again, injuries derail his career.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NCommand:

Took forever! And let's be honest, he still has some limitations. Too bad b/c I would have loved to see him develop even further this year but once again, injuries derail his career.

To be even more fair, this is only the beginning of the third year of this current staff. To align their time with the Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary eras regarding lack of WR production, is a bit dishonest. Frankly, or WR would have been the strongest in well over a decade had Crabs not been injured. Bolden and Crabs would have been a stellar duo. Still, AJ deserves more time, and we don't have a clue what Patton can do, but he may have been a steal.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

To be even more fair, this is only the beginning of the third year of this current staff. To align their time with the Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary eras regarding lack of WR production, is a bit dishonest. Frankly, or WR would have been the strongest in well over a decade had Crabs not been injured. Bolden and Crabs would have been a stellar duo. Still, AJ deserves more time, and we don't have a clue what Patton can do, but he may have been a steal.

Agreed...for a Niner organization rich in history of having THE best WR's in the game, the past how-many-years we have been very very poor. But like you say, we need to give this current regime some more time to be fair.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?

Guy is still out of the league 2 years removed from being drafted.

I'm highlighting a limited body of work and the results are not desirable. Period!

A ton of 6th round picks are out of the League.

You aren't highlighting a limited body of work so much as drawing conclusions from virtually zero data.

I've decided not to take the blind faith approach that you've taken.

Our WR situation is worrisome and I'm trying to figure out how it got this way.

If we were a team built on having great WR production, I'd be as worried as you are. That's not this team. They're built on defense, a strong running game, one of the league's best TEs (and his rookie companion), one of the game's most dangerous all-around QB threats and just enough WR production to keep people honest.

Boldin will effectively take on the role of Crabs for most of the year and likely do an even better job. That leaves a handful of young, hungry, talented but inexperienced guys to step up (Moore, Lockette, Patton, AJ) or a veteran getting healthy (Mario, Williams or Collie)....that can be worrisome, but it's not like they have to play at an all-pro level for this team to succeed. They just have to contribute here and there, maybe 2-3 catches a game at most.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Agreed...for a Niner organization rich in history of having THE best WR's in the game, the past how-many-years we have been very very poor. But like you say, we need to give this current regime some more time to be fair.

Very good points fellas!
Not this again...
Not to mention...the right QB can make even the most mediocre WRs look better than they really are. Whether that be extending plays, getting the ball DEEP down field, fitting throws into small windows or just the threat of being gashed by the read-option. It's possible that with Kap behind center, he can turn our WR trash (Boldin being the exception) into something useful.

Btw, the most interesting WR to me is Lockette. Teams are going to cover him 1-on-1, but with that size/speed, if he can begin making plays downfield, that opens up a whole new world for this offense. If teams choose to use single coverage on him and he makes plays, they're f**ked....if they choose to roll a safety his way, that opens up the middle for our TEs and they're f**ked.

He's the guy that could make the biggest difference, IMO.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM ]
Fans seem to think that 2 or 3 good WR's is needed to win? Since when has that been the 49er way?? It hasn't in a very long time. This team is not in the mold of pass happy teams the are loaded with WR's. This team has always been about the OL, TE and RB. Average QB & WR is good enough. That was the formula for a long time (Alex era). This team is still and always will be a Run 1st team. I don't think that philosophy is going to change because of Kap. Kap is going to do what Kap does and make the best use out of what he has. The WR situation will work its self out regardless who starts after Boldin because our QB is better then years past.

For me personally, I think our #2 TE is more important then our #2 WR. The AJ Jenkins show has been over hyped and way over blown this year. The main concern should be on Vance. If he can play at or beyond Delanie's lvl, then we will be a better football team.
I will tell you what I think. Instead of challenging Baalke about his scouting and evaluation ability when half of Webzone will come down on us like a tonne of bricks, I will just say this, I am not happy with the WR picks granted is still too early to tell on Patton although he still wouldn't have been my choice just like the Jenkins pick.

Simply put, we just don't have quality depth in WRs.Last year after Mario and Kyle went down we were having the same conversation and now we are still having that same conversation with Crab and Mario down. What I would like to see is what Baalke is going to do about it in the next draft. I am of the opinion we need two WR picks with one quality high rounder and one middle rounder. We can start discussing about prospects when we see fit. It will be interesting to see how things pan out come next year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
WTF. Nothing like premature judgments.

God. At least move this to the draft section.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Wasn't Crabtree a McCloughan pick??

Oh wait Baalke was VP of Player Personnel.

Truth is, AJ Jenkins is still a question mark so this thread is invalid.
A ton of 6th round picks are out of the League.

You aren't highlighting a limited body of work so much as drawing conclusions from virtually zero data.

Yes. Well said.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Fans seem to think that 2 or 3 good WR's is needed to win? Since when has that been the 49er way?? It hasn't in a very long time. This team is not in the mold of pass happy teams the are loaded with WR's. This team has always been about the OL, TE and RB. Average QB & WR is good enough. That was the formula for a long time (Alex era). This team is still and always will be a Run 1st team. I don't think that philosophy is going to change because of Kap. Kap is going to do what Kap does and make the best use out of what he has. The WR situation will work its self out regardless who starts after Boldin because our QB is better then years past.

For me personally, I think our #2 TE is more important then our #2 WR. The AJ Jenkins show has been over hyped and way over blown this year. The main concern should be on Vance. If he can play at or beyond Delanie's lvl, then we will be a better football team.

Agreed. This is why I said in another thread that I am very interested in seeing Marqueis Gray and Celek next game with McDonald sidelined
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM ]