There are 157 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jenkinswins:
LMJ looks like sh!t, he's a light weight and got rocked in the KC game!

Welcome back, kcfan11
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Kilgore is a solid contributor? Really?

I always find it funny when people walk by a forest and only acknowledge one tree....as you were.

For what it's worth, Kilgore is a good ST guy and contributed on short yardage runs last year. This season, he is in line to possibly beat Goodwin for starting C. Call it whatever you wanna call it...
Originally posted by spizzy:
I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan. I try not to get emotionally invested in specific players (except Gore) and faith in the front office as much as the next guy. But the amount of sheer praise and biased trust in Baalke and our scouting department is ridiculous. Yes, our 2011 draft class is historically awesome. But the 2012 draft is one of, if not THE, worst draft we've ever had.

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois- no explanation needed

2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon- looking like a solid contributor

4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Fores- tbd

5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame- cant stay healthy, very low chance of making team next year

6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State- will probably be cut soon

6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon- who?

7 237 Cam Johnson DE Virginia- MIGHT be a ST contributer

All I'm saying is, don't think for one second Baalke is the best talent evaluator or even near the top of the league. I do however have confidence that he will learn from his mistakes

PS can the season just get here already??

Fact is that we have one of the very best rosters and coaching staffs in the NFL. We nearly won the chip 2 years running and other franchises are modeling themselves by our front office. These are facts. He hired Harbaugh and is responsible for this team. He has his hits and misses but Baalke is not over rated
Originally posted by SaksV:

I always find it funny when people walk by a forest and only acknowledge one tree....as you were.

For what it's worth, Kilgore is a good ST guy and contributed on short yardage runs last year. This season, he is in line to possibly beat Goodwin for starting C. Call it whatever you wanna call it...

I see a forest of great players. Mostly from McCloughan/Nolan. Gore, Willis, Staley, Vernon, Crabs, Boone, Brown, Justin Smith, Brooks, Haralson. Baalke has supplemented that incredible foundation well and had some good FA pickups. But he can't be judged for another 5 years or so. The greatest move he has made so far is getting Harbaugh. Other than that, jury still out.

I see a forest of great players. Mostly from McCloughan/Nolan. Gore, Willis, Staley, Vernon, Crabs, Boone, Brown, Justin Smith, Brooks, Haralson. Baalke has supplemented that incredible foundation well and had some good FA pickups. But he can't be judged for another 5 years or so. The greatest move he has made so far is getting Harbaugh. Other than that, jury still out.

Then Kap then Aldon and we have this class with an unwritten story
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
The sample size is way too small to make an accurate prediction. From the looks of it, 2013 looks to be another solid draft, making it 2 good drafts (i.e., 2011 and 2013) and one poor draft (i.e., 2012) for Trent Balke.

To be "objective" and "detached", based on the limited information we have, Balke is likely to hit on 2/3rds or 66% of his picks -- thus rejecting your hypothesis that he is overrated as he hits on more picks than not

(with confidence interval of 95% P < .05) -- -- I just made a statistics joke. My life has sunk to a new low.

I can sink lower. I recognized that as a Statistics joke, but did not understand well enough to get it. It was kind of a confused, uneasy laughter, with a little pit in the bottom of my stomach thinking back to my poor performance in Statistics back in the day.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Wow, f*cking chicken little thread if I've ever seen one. No one hits on draft picks everytime, it's not Baalkes fault Fleming can't stay healthy, Johnson is looking like a solid contributor but will probably get cut cause of the rookie stud Lemonier, Looney has looked alright not great but alright considering he has Omgmameh next to him. LMJ is a solid role player. Slowey? Really? Lets harp on 6th and 7th round picks lol!

Baalke has hit more than missed, and even when he misses he still gets something like a pick for Mays or Baldwin for AJ. What else could a fan want? No one hits on every pick even Ozzie newsome misses allot and he is considered the best in the league at scouting. Get over it and enjoy this years class cause it will shut up all the haters for yets to come.

this about sums it up
My only comment to the initial thread is that I am always amazed that anyone can whiff on a first round draft pick. Disappointment, sure. J.J. Stokes was not a great player as hoped, but he played and contributed a little. The guys that simply get gut, e.g., Balmer, Carmazzi, Jenkins (OK, a polite cut), that floors me. So many people getting paid so well to analyze that talent and still you see fairly frequently these perplexing first round busts.
Overrated? Here's SOME of what the overrated Trent Baalke has done since being incorporated into the Front Office in 2010....

DRAFTED Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Kyle Williams, Boobie Dixon, Bruce Miller, Daniel Kilgore, Kendal Hunter, Chris Culliver, Colin Kaeprnick and Aldon Smith. ELEVEN Pro-Bowl/Solid contributors to the current roster.
He was pressured by Mike Singletary into selecting Taylor Mays and as soon as he had the chance, he traded Mays away for what would become Bruce Miller IIRC.

Got rid of Nate Clements and his gargantuan contract, and replaced him with Carlos Rogers and added a Donte Whitner for good measure. Both enjoyed their best seasons as 49ers in 2011 and are still a large part of the teams plan to win the Super Bowl.

REVAMPED the Offensive Line from by cutting names like Baas, Wragge, Rachal and Snyder

Traded Alex Smith for Vance McDonald/Tank Carradine plus a future selection in the Top 100.

Extended the contract of Ahmad Brooks, Justin Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Anthony Davis, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman and Joe Staley. Our core.

That's just off the top of my head..............

Yes, he is. He is a mainstay in the Jumbo packages (which the Niners run alot) and he'll be the starting center when Goodwin is done.

Right...because we can't judge him on Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Bruce Miller, and LaMichael James.

Three of those players are All Pro's, 2 are Pro Bowl alternates, 2 are very good reserves behind a possible HOF RB, 1 is a promising young corner and the last is Colin freakin' Kaepernick.

Ya....too early to judge. Only that in three drafts. What a bum.

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.
I think you have perfect 20/20 hind sight.

Hind sight quite frequently is as bad as just plain old sight.

Baalke has been in charge of four drafts for the team. He has selected four wide receivers.

The OP only speaks of two of the four. Those two happen to be the worst of his four picks.

20/20 hindsight has to be better than that.

Scroll up and you'll see info on 6 WR's that Baalke had a hand in drafting.
worst thread of all time
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ayetee:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.
I think you have perfect 20/20 hind sight.

Hind sight quite frequently is as bad as just plain old sight.

Baalke has been in charge of four drafts for the team. He has selected four wide receivers.

The OP only speaks of two of the four. Those two happen to be the worst of his four picks.

20/20 hindsight has to be better than that.

Scroll up and you'll see info on 6 WR's that Baalke had a hand in drafting.

I only count 3...
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Right...because we can't judge him on Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Bruce Miller, and LaMichael James.

Three of those players are All Pro's, 2 are Pro Bowl alternates, 2 are very good reserves behind a possible HOF RB, 1 is a promising young corner and the last is Colin freakin' Kaepernick.

Ya....too early to judge. Only that in three drafts. What a bum.

We will see how good all his players are once McCloughan's are all gone. Which was my point. Right now he is living off of someone else's foundation. We shall see if he can build his own. But please, list a couple more backups to prove your point.
WR's are very hard to judge. EVERY TEAM misses on them. If they knew what John Taylor or Terrell Owens could bring to the NFL, they would be top 5 picks.

It's probably one of the most difficult position to judge.
Share 49ersWebzone