There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by 5280High:
I'm chill, it was more of a LMAO tone I was going for. We just have different views on his abilities and AJ. Bust, yes but worst pick ever? Not even close. He had a luxury pick to use and let his inner Al Davis get the best of him, but Jenkins wasn't a locker room cancer or a wifebeater just no confidence. And to hold injuries against him is lame, unless he drafts an injured player. Like if Carradine or Lattimore never get healthy than yeah hold that against him all you want.

What about Carlos Rogers, Boldin, extending McDonald, bowman,and Ian Williams. We needed a safety this year and so far Baalkes guy looks exactly like what you want out of a rookie.

It's ok not to rank him #1, but your post makes him sound like Donahue, when objectively he is easily top 5 in the league.

I said talent evaluation as in drafting. I don't see how you can argue AJ being the biggest bust, he was the only player besides Carmazzi to have literally ZERO production. And I heard somewhere that he is the first 1st round pick to not make it to his second season for like 30 years. Thats downright sorry. And Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial were all injured when drafted. Lattimore seems to be good to go soon but they are bringing him along slowly. Carradine is a question mark as well as Dial. If they pan out, great. But its pretty risky to take 3 injured players (especially one being a 2nd rounder at a position of need).

Are we now pretending to evaluate Baalke's drafting of the 2013 draft?
2013 is really strong. You got to look at Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick.

You have to look at the thing on balance. 2012 was wasted. Many before and after were really good even great drafts.
I normally expect production out of picks in the top 3 rounds. 4th round and beyond is miss more than hit in most cases. I have no stats to back that up, just seems that way. So with that said, I only expected AJ and LMJ to be consistent producers from 2012. LMJ belongs in the NFL, AJ is the only big miss, and even then he was a 30th pick.

Baalke is still damn good imo. He hit big time on Kap, Aldon, and Bowman. Great value in the mid rounds with Kendall Hunter and Culliver.

There have been worse drafts (1992, 2008).

Originally posted by MSteitz468:
The 2012 Draft Class did not have depth, so unless you picked in the first 15-20 picks, there weren't a whole lot of gems out there. Baalke was smart enough to trade away a lot of picks in the 2012 draft to get more in the very deep 2013 draft. It's too early to tell, but it looks like that was a shrewd move.

Good point.
Originally posted by buck:

No lol, just stating the fact that he drafted injured players and that it remains to be seen how it turns out
f**k Baalke for not being able to draft good players with late picks in the late round.

Can't believe he couldn't find superstars in those rounds like the rest of the GMs in the NFL
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
answer me this OP...if Baalke is overrated, who would you rather have as the team's GM?

Jesus, can the regular season start already?
How quickly we become spoiled...I'd rather have Baalke who, save for a few hiccups, has a solid track record and is committed to reloading and building this team thru the draft, is astute at stockpiling picks and comes out more often than not on the better end of trades than any other GM in the league (and about 30 other teams, less NE and out of spite SEA, would probably rather have Baalke or someone like him as well). We also seem to have short memories of the bad GMs we've had recently who squandered even worst picks at a more dire time in the team's fortunes, or the even worst GMs in the 90s who in the infancy years of FA mortgaged the team's future making big signings of old past-their-prime players while digging the salary cap hole deeper and more egregiously sometimes even traded away picks for short term rewards so that the Niners during those years sometime had only 2-3 players picked in the draft!
Originally posted by hohbie:
I like to think of myself as a pretty objective fan. I try not to get emotionally invested in specific players (except Gore) and faith in the front office as much as the next guy. But the amount of sheer praise and biased trust in Baalke and our scouting department is ridiculous. Yes, our 2011 draft class is historically awesome. But the 2012 draft is one of, if not THE, worst draft we've ever had.

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois- no explanation needed

2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon- looking like a solid contributor

4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Fores- tbd

5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame- cant stay healthy, very low chance of making team next year

6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State- will probably be cut soon

6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon- who?

7 237 Cam Johnson DE Virginia- MIGHT be a ST contributer

All I'm saying is, don't think for one second Baalke is the best talent evaluator or even near the top of the league. I do however have confidence that he will learn from his mistakes

PS can the season just get here already??

Haha. As bad as this draft was (and it was real bad) he is still not overrated. He knocked it out of the park in 2011 and I think he got cocky during the 2012 draft. I think the 2013 draft looks like it has some good pieces. I would take 2012 as the exception and not the trend, although I agree it is awful.

yeah but we don't need as many players to stick , we need to hit it out of the park, so BlackHarbagh are taking chances and i don't mind it !
Originally posted by NinerGod:

Jesus, can the regular season start already?

2nd that !
No lol, just stating the fact that he drafted injured players and that it remains to be seen how it turns out

Correct me if I'm wrong but the injured players were some of the best at their positon in college. They probably wouldn't have been there if not for their injuries & the position they play we have depth at already. Thay's why Baalkes' the GM & your the fan doubting his skills.
Originally posted by boast:
answer me this OP...if Baalke is overrated, who would you rather have as the team's GM?

Nobody, this thread has been derailed and I give up lol. I should have known Im a vet lol
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

High profile injured players that should have been 1st rounders for positions that will need to be filled when the vets retire or leave like Gore and J smith. Also, kept A Smith and turned him into 2 high round draft picks.
I think it shows he either hits grand slams or strikes out. If I remember correctly it was his first board being used, the year prior I think we still had Scotts rankings.

This years class might be the best going back at-least 5-10 years. Just cant miss next year.
On the one hand, the 2012 draft was subpar.

On the other hand we have the deepest roster in the league, a top 3 passrusher, a franchise QB, the league's best starting 5 OL, a stockpile of 2014 draft picks, a large core of young players extended with at or below market contracts, a second string defence that could probably finish in the top 20 if they were all starters and the cap room to get a player at a need position if injury/circumstance dictate.

FIRE THE BUM!!