There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Originally posted by 5280High:
I'm chill, it was more of a LMAO tone I was going for. We just have different views on his abilities and AJ. Bust, yes but worst pick ever? Not even close. He had a luxury pick to use and let his inner Al Davis get the best of him, but Jenkins wasn't a locker room cancer or a wifebeater just no confidence. And to hold injuries against him is lame, unless he drafts an injured player. Like if Carradine or Lattimore never get healthy than yeah hold that against him all you want.

What about Carlos Rogers, Boldin, extending McDonald, bowman,and Ian Williams. We needed a safety this year and so far Baalkes guy looks exactly like what you want out of a rookie.

It's ok not to rank him #1, but your post makes him sound like Donahue, when objectively he is easily top 5 in the league.

I said talent evaluation as in drafting. I don't see how you can argue AJ being the biggest bust, he was the only player besides Carmazzi to have literally ZERO production. And I heard somewhere that he is the first 1st round pick to not make it to his second season for like 30 years. Thats downright sorry. And Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial were all injured when drafted. Lattimore seems to be good to go soon but they are bringing him along slowly. Carradine is a question mark as well as Dial. If they pan out, great. But its pretty risky to take 3 injured players (especially one being a 2nd rounder at a position of need).
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
I stopped reading at Fleming, cause he is no longer on the team. Can't take your opinion seriously when you don't even know the facts. Nice try.

He's on IR

he was last year. he was waived in July

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Waive-Fleming-Sign-Travis-Johnson/471fd05a-1958-4d35-9568-37d877b0c549

Injured players who are not claimed when they are waived revert back to the teams injured reserve list for the year.
pull up the 2008 draft if u want to see a worse one.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, and Larry Grant were all solid contributors. Chilo was a contributor unfortunately
I'd much rather have that one guy that NEVER misses a pick. Ever.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I'd much rather have that one guy that NEVER misses a pick. Ever.

Right, cause that's exactly what I am saying

Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, and Larry Grant were all solid contributors. Chilo was a contributor unfortunately

i dont count larry grant. he was cut went to the rams for a couple of season then made his way back as a FA.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I said talent evaluation as in drafting.

Then you're wrong. We had a top 5 draft class in both 2010 and 2011; basically Baalke's first 2 years as gm. 2012 was a bad draft, but this year is looking good so far. In 2010 we got 2 players who are in the top 3 of their position (Bowman/Iupati) in the league, and Davis isn't far off.

This, I'd say Kentwan Balmer was a worse draft pick, he was drafted so high.
I said talent evaluation as in drafting. I don't see how you can argue AJ being the biggest bust, he was the only player besides Carmazzi to have literally ZERO production. And I heard somewhere that he is the first 1st round pick to not make it to his second season for like 30 years. Thats downright sorry. And Carradine, Lattimore, and Dial were all injured when drafted. Lattimore seems to be good to go soon but they are bringing him along slowly. Carradine is a question mark as well as Dial. If they pan out, great. But its pretty risky to take 3 injured players (especially one being a 2nd rounder at a position of need).

You are aware he evaluates the talent of FA's right? That's hand in hand with college scouting. AJ was a luxury pick, and that's a topic for another thread so you can see my comments there. Baalke has made this league his b*tch. The trade he's made during the draft are another feather in his cap. You sound like a Cohn when you cherry pick one player to define his abilities while ignoring Hunter, Miller, Bowman, and Kilgore among others. Plus iuppati and Davis. I'm done ranting lol and agree to disagree on our views.
The sample size is way too small to make an accurate prediction. From the looks of it, 2013 looks to be another solid draft, making it 2 good drafts (i.e., 2011 and 2013) and one poor draft (i.e., 2012) for Trent Balke.

To be "objective" and "detached", based on the limited information we have, Balke is likely to hit on 2/3rds or 66% of his picks -- thus rejecting your hypothesis that he is overrated as he hits on more picks than not

(with confidence interval of 95% P < .05) -- -- I just made a statistics joke. My life has sunk to a new low.
You don't win executive of the year if you aren't at the top of your game. Yeah the 2012 class is not all world and AJ was a reach, but look at our roster, where we were drafting and the trades in the draft that netted us extra picks in 2013, which was considered to be a much stronger draft class. I don't know how anyone could be critical of Baalke.
to this thread. So far Baalke is 1-1 drafting. Outside of AJJ, the jury is still out until the 53 man roster is finished. The 2013 draft class is looking really good. So I'll say 2 out 3 as of right know. You also left out the scouting part of his job when it comes to FA which he's great at. He gets good talent for a decent price without breaking the bank. I could be wrong but it seems like you are tryna $#!t on Baalkes' scouting skills cause Jenkins' was a bust, gtfoh. 2012 worst draft class, I pretty sure the dark years from the tome Mooch was fired til Nolan was worst. The last to seasons have been NFCCG or better, what(!). Keep doing your Baalke & go niners
[ Edited by calinig4life on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
The sample size is way too small to make an accurate prediction. From the looks of it, 2013 looks to be another solid draft, making it 2 good drafts (i.e., 2011 and 2013) and one poor draft (i.e., 2012) for Trent Balke.

To be "objective" and "detached", based on the limited information we have, Balke is likely to hit on 2/3rds or 66% of his picks -- thus rejecting your hypothesis that he is overrated as he hits on more picks than not

(with confidence interval of 95% P < .05) -- -- I just made a statistics joke. My life has sunk to a new low.

lmao i actually really enjoyed this
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Baalke also was in charge of the draft in 2010. He has had two good to excellent, drafts, one that is apparently poor, and one pending.

At the time of the 2010 draft, he was the interim general manager and in charge of the draft.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]