There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

I kind of wonder if Tom Gamble pounded the table for Jenkins.

Gamble was under contract and seemed to be one of Baalkes
right hand men, when he was able to leave to a team without
it being a promotion.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We picked the wrong year to draft a WR in the 1st. Weak class overall, and people knew that going in. I appreciate Baalke aggressively attacking what was a huge weakness for us in 2011, WR depth, but he fudged the pick.

The 2009 class was pretty darn good, and everyone knew it. Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks. We need to wait for one of these classes. Funny enough, Heyward-Bey was picked before all of them lol.

That 2009 class was pretty solid. Don't forget, Mike Wallace was in that class, too (3rd round). Hopefully the Niners will be able to find an underappreciated mid-round WR in the near future.


Help us get to The 'Stick!
http://www.gofundme.com/3wkpao
[ Edited by WhiteRice on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,978
The idea of us being bad at evaluating WRs is incorrect. Williams has been good for a 5th rounder, Crabtree is good, and Patton is unknown. Our biggest problem with WRs is that they always get injured. Imagine our WRs if Crabs was still here.

Baakle missed on a first rounder. It was bound to happen eventually and I doubt it'll happen this way again. Like I said, we need to figure out how to keep them healthy.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,025
Originally posted by mtminer:
I kind of wonder if Tom Gamble pounded the table for Jenkins.

Gamble was under contract and seemed to be one of Baalkes
right hand men, when he was able to leave to a team without
it being a promotion.

We will almost never know who pounds the table for whom.

If Baalke is in charge of the draft, he is responsible for the draft, and he gets credit and blame for the draft.

If we look at it that way, we can simply avoid the murky world of speculation.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
The idea of us being bad at evaluating WRs is incorrect. Williams has been good for a 5th rounder, Crabtree is good, and Patton is unknown. Our biggest problem with WRs is that they always get injured. Imagine our WRs if Crabs was still here.

Baakle missed on a first rounder. It was bound to happen eventually and I doubt it'll happen this way again. Like I said, we need to figure out how to keep them healthy.

Yup. Even the best GMs wiff on 1st rounders from time to time. A few examples:

Packers GM Ted Thompson (Ahmad Carroll, Justin Harrell, Derek Sherrod)
Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome (Travis Taylor, Kyle Boller, Mark Clayton)

It happens.
There is no such thing as a sure thing at WR pick 30 year in year out. We reached for him and he didn't fit for whatever reason and I hope Baldwin does
Originally posted by bret:
It seems to me if you look back to 2112

I'd only be able to look back at 2112 if I lived to be in my 140s!

If the draft is done "right" the team can draft the BPA every time early in the draft because they don't have a desperate need to reach for a player. The best WRs in history have generally been 1st round picks, but it's a small number of WRs who perform at a pro-bowl level regardless of round.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.
I think you have perfect 20/20 hind sight.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Are Baalke and Co. bad at scouting and evaluating college WR's?

In the 2011 draft, The Niners selected Ronald Johnson in the 6th round, who no longer is in the NFL

In the 2012 draft, The Niners selected A.J. Jenkins in the 1st round. Jenkins is probably the 7th best WR currently on the Niners roster and has looked terrible in games.

Notable WR's taken after Jenkins are:
- Alshon Jeffery
- Ryan Broyles
- Reuben Randle
- T.J. Graham
- Mohamed Sanu
- T.Y. Hilton
- Chris Givens
- Josh Gordon

Baalke and Co. stared these guys in the faces and still decided to pull the trigger on Jenkins. For me, this begs the question; Is Baalke bad at evaluating college WR's? It remains to be seen if Quinton Patton succeeds in the NFL, or if Jenkins can salvage his young career.

The Niners have drafted players with character concerns before, so for me, that is not an excuse for passing on guys like Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon.

Tell me what you guys think.
I think you have perfect 20/20 hind sight.

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by English:
Seriously?

A 6th round pick and a youngster just starting his 2nd pre-season. And on that basis you are asking if the team is bad at scouting or evaluating receivers. Do you think that is a fair judgement? Are you aware of the hit rate on 6th round picks?

Guy is still out of the league 2 years removed from being drafted.

I'm highlighting a limited body of work and the results are not desirable. Period!

A ton of 6th round picks are out of the League.

You aren't highlighting a limited body of work so much as drawing conclusions from virtually zero data.

I've decided not to take the blind faith approach that you've taken.

Our WR situation is worrisome and I'm trying to figure out how it got this way.
Baalke drafted the WRs. We must fire Baalke.

Doc, you are a genius.
We are the Niners. We are rich in great Wide Receiver tradition.

True fans of the Niners demand the following receiver line-up:

1) Calvin Johnson
2) A.J. Green
3) Dez Bryant
4) Julio Jones

...and we must have Andre Johnson and Randall Cobb waiting in the wings in case any of the four goes down.

Otherwise, Baalke is not doing his job and must be replaced.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,621
Originally posted by WhiteRice:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We picked the wrong year to draft a WR in the 1st. Weak class overall, and people knew that going in. I appreciate Baalke aggressively attacking what was a huge weakness for us in 2011, WR depth, but he fudged the pick.

The 2009 class was pretty darn good, and everyone knew it. Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, Nicks. We need to wait for one of these classes. Funny enough, Heyward-Bey was picked before all of them lol.

That 2009 class was pretty solid. Don't forget, Mike Wallace was in that class, too (3rd round). Hopefully the Niners will be able to find an underappreciated mid-round WR in the near future.


Help us get to The 'Stick!
http://www.gofundme.com/3wkpao

They found him... Patton will deliver.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by mtminer:
I kind of wonder if Tom Gamble pounded the table for Jenkins.

Gamble was under contract and seemed to be one of Baalkes
right hand men, when he was able to leave to a team without
it being a promotion.

We will almost never know who pounds the table for whom.

If Baalke is in charge of the draft, he is responsible for the draft, and he gets credit and blame for the draft.

If we look at it that way, we can simply avoid the murky world of speculation.
Jim got his way with Kap....Trent wanted Dalton if I remember correctly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,025
Originally posted by jreff22:
Jim got his way with Kap....Trent wanted Dalton if I remember correctly.

That is, if I remember correctly, a fine example of the murky, we should try to avoid.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,025
Originally posted by mtminer:
I kind of wonder if Tom Gamble pounded the table for Jenkins.

Gamble was under contract and seemed to be one of Baalkes
right hand men, when he was able to leave to a team without
it being a promotion.
You should read this article.

Tom Gamble explains why he left the 49ers for the Eagles

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Tom-Gamble-explains-why-he-left-the-49ers-for-the-Eagles.html#VXrlzYdgWe6py0ri.99

Baalke let Gamble leave for Philadelphia even though it was right before the draft. Baalke knew what the Eagles mean for Gamble.

Baalke was a stand up guy in this situation.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM ]
Patten better show up