There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I left Patton out mainly because I forgot about him, but also I just dont see how he can make a significant enough impact to become a starter as a rookie. I've never seen a rookie start under Harbaugh, so I dont mean to count him out so early, but I am not really sure if Patton is ready for that just yet.

I also don't know why everyone is so high on the kid when we havent seen anything from him yet? I know hes got a great work ethic, and people love him for that story about him coming over here too early, but he hasn't done anything to merit a starting job yet. I have to see him actually do something first.

Because Patton has been excellent when it comes to running routes, now that hes getting healthy he will have more if an opportunity to make an impact. Even with a busted finger hes been one of the most impressive receivers out there. That hes a rookie shouldnt be held against him, Harbaugh and the coaching staff have shown that they arent afraid to play a rookie if they are ready to cobtribute. I think Patton could be a HUGE impact player for the 49ers. Before the draft I felt Patton had NFL #1 WR potential and I still believe that.

Again, there is no actual merit to what you are saying. I read all reports about the 49ers, and I have read absolutely nothing about how this kid is standing out among the rest of his WR peers. I'm not saying he is a bad receiver by any means, but I don't quite understand all the high praise for the kid when he hasn't done a single thing, and there are more experienced receivers who have been just as successful as he has in camp who should, and probably will earn a spot over Patton. (Moore, Collie, Williams, Osgood)

I do agree that Patton will be a contributor at some point in his career, but I'm still waiting for him to actually do something special before I start feeling like he is a viable contender for ANY playing time come the regular season.

This ^^^. He's been wearing a no contact jersey for most of camp. How anyone can have any opinion on his ability to contribute this year is beyond me. The zone loves the unknown though. I think we are all rooting for him and for some reason he's become the anti-jenkins in many fans eyes.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
I still want it to be Jenkins, Moore or Lockette because I want a guy out there who can flat out sprint down field and run under one of those 60-70 yarders I know Kaepernick can toss.
I gotta say Austin Collie. If Collie stays healthy I think we wont miss too much on offense. I like his hands, his size and his grit.
I know he's one big hit away from drinking through a straw, but I think Collie has the pedigree for the job. I think that Kyle Williams is better suited for the slot honestly.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
I'm going with a combination of former and near former Webzone favorites in rotation...

Rashaun Woods
Brandon Lloyd
David Boston

Michael Crabtree *He WAS a bust so he fits too.*

And our all time favorite QB to throw it to them in relief of Kaep.....JT Osullivan baby!

Fixed.
forgot otis amey
  • cools
  • Veteran
Love Patton, but doubt he's activated much this year, I see his as a future z/flanker,
I think the running routes without being allowed to catch it may turn into a blessing in disguise, bet he's focused on the routes and seperation,
6th on the DC, maybe even hidden on PuP/IR

Moore has been a pleasent surprise, no one even had him in the top 6 before camp, now he's starting at x/se
I think he ends up the #4, active on game days, and fantastic as special teams gunner

I think Collie will emerge as a go to target for Kap, and be the first off the bench

Im going with Williams as the starting x/se, he seems driven to win that job
Though when Manningham returns to 100%, he could take over

Jenkins, 5th on the DC for now, Up to him if he moves up
He wont be cut, but I could see a trade as a possibility

Osgood and Jacobs dont make it, and once Manningham comes back, they will prob cut another, hard to guess who that will be
Kyle Williams will be. His production will go way up this year. He's always been pretty good at least at WR. He is small and has a hard time staying healthy. Not a return man you want to rely on. But at WR he's been pretty good IMO.
Originally posted by cools:
Love Patton, but doubt he's activated much this year, I see his as a future z/flanker,
I think the running routes without being allowed to catch it may turn into a blessing in disguise, bet he's focused on the routes and seperation,
6th on the DC, maybe even hidden on PuP/IR

Moore has been a pleasent surprise, no one even had him in the top 6 before camp, now he's starting at x/se
I think he ends up the #4, active on game days, and fantastic as special teams gunner

I think Collie will emerge as a go to target for Kap, and be the first off the bench

Im going with Williams as the starting x/se, he seems driven to win that job
Though when Manningham returns to 100%, he could take over

Jenkins, 5th on the DC for now, Up to him if he moves up
He wont be cut, but I could see a trade as a possibility

Osgood and Jacobs dont make it, and once Manningham comes back, they will prob cut another, hard to guess who that will be

Osgood could still make it for special teams, either him or Lockette.
I think Boldin and Davis are going to be the the clear bell cows this year. Beyond that it could be someone different each week based on match ups. I can easily see Collie, Williams and eventually Manningham producing some decent games. Most of us forget that Manningham was producing #2 WR stats when he went down. I do think Collie could be a sleep in the slot. When and I think its more likely an "if" Crabtree comes back and I really hope he does, look out because this offense could easily become the best in the league. There will be so many weapons, it will be insane. I also believe McDonald is gonna catch a bunch of balls as well. Good gravy its gonna be insane!
i think the size of most of these guys is a little concerning. crabs boldin and lockette are the only receivers we have that look like they can take a few hits before getting broken in half and were not even gonna have crabtree til november
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kyle Williams will be. His production will go way up this year. He's always been pretty good at least at WR. He is small and has a hard time staying healthy. Not a return man you want to rely on. But at WR he's been pretty good IMO.

When they asked Boldin who he thought could stretch the field opposite him in the lineup, he mentioned Williams, Jenkins, Moore and Lockette. Williams has speed. I don't think it's quite as fast a speed as the other three, but he's no slouch.
It's KW, no question. He's much more experienced and was off to a fine start last year when he got hurt. As for the others, I'm pretty confident Collie will be the #3 unless one of the youngsters like Moore steps up. It's looking like Moore will be a fine addition to the receiving corps and he's already a ST star. Jury's still out on Jenkins and Lockette. Hall has a good shot to make the team because as Kap says, he gets open and is sure-handed.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
There is no #1 or #2 in the 49ers system so I am not sure why this is so important.
Originally posted by MarkD:
There is no #1 or #2 in the 49ers system so I am not sure why this is so important.

maybe true but there are guys you want out there before other guys right? crabs is our number one for sure and boldin wouldve been 2 but now we have to adjust. im betting on marlon moore, i really like this kid
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

When they asked Boldin who he thought could stretch the field opposite him in the lineup, he mentioned Williams, Jenkins, Moore and Lockette. Williams has speed. I don't think it's quite as fast a speed as the other three, but he's no slouch.

Williams has pretty good speed, good WR hands at least (taking away PR/KR completely), runs good routes, has experience, has always been pretty good for us when healthy, has some time in with Kaepernick. I think he is the logical guy next to Boldin.