LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

I think Marlon Moore is better than the WZ thinks. Everything I've seen him do is impressive and he knows he's got the chance to step up and be the guy here in SF
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke needs to use some of our many draft picks and make a trade. This is a super bowl contender team you gotta go all out to win it while the window is still open.
As of today, IMO, if the team was playing the first game - it's Kyle.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

kyle williams has shown flashes of brilliance. hopefully he can step it up, he's got the skillset
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by xtm059:

kyle williams has shown flashes of brilliance. hopefully he can step it up, he's got the skillset

lol

when ?
Originally posted by susweel:

lol

when ?

Rams game in 2011, Bills and Bears game last year... flashes is the right word
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
I honestly do not know and here in why. The issue is that we don't use a #2 WR. Or even a #1 or #3. HaRoMan call "packages." So for instance (ala Randy Moss), with Lockette and Moore's speed, they may come in as the X and run a deep post route to open up the underneath stuff for Y & Z and the TE/RB's.

(PS: it's most likely to be Williams though)...meaning he may line up opposite Boldin the most to start.

Williams - see Collie (the most experienced in our offense by far)
Collie - very reliable vet but best suited for the Y (slot)
Jenkins - experienced at all 3 WR positions in our offense but can't seem to translate much on the field; seems to struggle with confidence/attitude
Lockette - prototypical size and speed but inexperienced in our offense
Moore - NFL experience but inexperienced in our offense
Patton - rookie with low expectations and may need a year to develop
Manningham - still probably needs a couple more months but a very polished route runner and very reliable
Hall - won't make the team
If Manningham is healthy, he is the best number two but he isn't. I'm a little surprised how everyone is anointing Collie. He had two good years (maybe one really solid one) in Indy. Manning makes a lot of guys look better than they are, so who knows how much of Collie's very short success is a product of a HOF QB making him look better than he is. Collie has good hands, but I'm not sure about his speed and athleticism. He had a good half quarter in a preseason game, mostly against guys who are going to be lucky to be on the PS, and everyone put him as the "best option for #2."

Kyle Williams is the better option, assuming he comes back at full strength. His hands are good, at least as good as Collie's, but he more explosive as an athlete. He was showing really good signs of becoming a quality slot guy before his injury.

There is a reason why Collie was around so late and cheap for the Niners. Teams didn't want him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I honestly do not know and here in why. The issue is that we don't use a #2 WR. Or even a #1 or #3. HaRoMan call "packages." So for instance (ala Randy Moss), with Lockette and Moore's speed, they may come in as the X and run a deep post route to open up the underneath stuff for Y & Z and the TE/RB's.

(PS: it's most likely to be Williams though)...meaning he may line up opposite Boldin the most to start.

Williams - see Collie (the most experienced in our offense by far)
Collie - very reliable vet but best suited for the Y (slot)
Jenkins - experienced at all 3 WR positions in our offense but can't seem to translate much on the field; seems to struggle with confidence/attitude
Lockette - prototypical size and speed but inexperienced in our offense
Moore - NFL experience but inexperienced in our offense
Patton - rookie with low expectations and may need a year to develop
Manningham - still probably needs a couple more months but a very polished route runner and very reliable
Hall - won't make the team

who in their right mind has low expectations for patton?

dude can ball. go watch his college film
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by susweel:

lol

when ?

Rams game in 2011, Bills and Bears game last year... flashes is the right word

He can be good after the catch. Dude is quick.

What the hell do you expect out of him in his rookie year?

Given that Harbaugh likes the WR's to learn all the WR positions, Jenkins got 3 passes thrown his way last year despite all the injuries, do YOU really think he's vying for the #2 right now, realistically? I'd say we have high hopes for him, realize he has a high ceiling but realistically, right now, the coaches will continue to set low and realistic expectations for him until he is full developed. Outside Williams, my two with the best chance to see the most snaps opposite Boldin are Lockette (Harbaugh/CK love him) and Moore (a Baalke find/pick). Collie has a chance to emerge as well IMHO but has a long ways to go b/c of the complexity of our offense and I doubt he is a solid run blocker.
Based on the catches Moore made its gonna be him!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
morningham when healthy. then it's a tossup between KW, Collie and Moore.
That's a tough question. #s 2-6 on the depth chart is a very fluid situation. It could change by the day.

I'll go with the guy who started the other day, Marlon Moore. KW, A.J. and Collie are still very much in the mix.
Share 49ersWebzone