There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our receivers will be a strength when everyone get healthy!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Eh, maybe VD gets 2000 yards without Crabs around. Who cares, as long as we win. Look at all the damage Brady has done for years without premier wideouts. I think Kap will be just fine.

Kaep relied on Crabtree hugely last year. Brady is more of a pocket passer and more used to that role. Plus he played in 5 Super Bowls. He's a more established guy. Kaep played 10 games. I like Kaep and his future potential. But comparing him to Brady at this point is just absurd.
Maybe not entirely absurd. Not saying he is in Brady's league yet, but they all have to start somewhere. Brady was drafted later, has inferior physical tools and came to be starter under very similar circumstance. So you could say Kap actually compares favorably to early Brady and has potential to run neck and neck with him now on many days. He isnt in Tom's league mentally yet, but Kap can simply make plays Tom probably never could and certainly cant now.

Now look at the talent around them...comparing Niners this year to Pats last year. Bolden is flat out better than Loyd. No question. When pairing up TE's Vance and Vern are pretty comperable to Gronk and Hernandez last year...probably better as both the Pats guys were hurt plenty and Vance while raw has potential well beyond Hernandez. Collie if healthy has the tools to be a Welker light in the slot...he wont be as good, but minus concusion has shown similar ability to be that chain mover. So really the wild cards are Patton, Manningham, Crabs and Williams and to a lesser extent until he shows otherwise Jenkins. Lets say for the sake of arguement Crabs and Rio dont even come back at all this year. Not true in Rio's case..but whatever. Still Patton, Williams and even Jenkins are hands down better than anything else the Pats had available last year period full stop. The remaining recievers on that roster were historicaly bad and you arent even taking into account our RB's make theirs look like pop warner.

I really think Kap has more than enough talent and slightly to greatly better weapons depending how it pans out for some of these guys to eclipse Brady's numbers from last year hands down. There is no certainty that he will...but its not homerism or a pipe dream to see its very, very possible.

Kaep would have to massively increase his passing #'s if he wants to be like Brady. As it stands he is run and pass. And nowhere near the pocket passer Brady is. He's not in that league yet. He played 10 games. He can just as easily regress. I like Kaep a lot and hope for the best. He certainly has very big upside. He's just not at the Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady level of passing yet. I'm not sure he ever will be. Maybe he will. I hope so.
Dont mistake not having to throw the ball 40 times in a game for being incapable. Rogers and Brady have to throw the ball that many times because their backs are trash. You are right Kap wont throw enough to catch them in pure yardage terms...because our team is more well rounded and he wont have too. But in completion percentage, yards per attempt and other measurables that arent dependent on being a one dimensional, air it out type offense I can almost garuntee he will be comperable. The pocket isnt the only place compete from.

It's not. But he is not the pocket passer Brady or Rogers are. At least at this time. Yards, TD's, attempts, completions. Not on par.

This argument sounds similar to what's being argued in the NFC west thread in that Russell Wilson is nowhere near the QB that Drew Brees is.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Eh, maybe VD gets 2000 yards without Crabs around. Who cares, as long as we win. Look at all the damage Brady has done for years without premier wideouts. I think Kap will be just fine.

Kaep relied on Crabtree hugely last year. Brady is more of a pocket passer and more used to that role. Plus he played in 5 Super Bowls. He's a more established guy. Kaep played 10 games. I like Kaep and his future potential. But comparing him to Brady at this point is just absurd.
Maybe not entirely absurd. Not saying he is in Brady's league yet, but they all have to start somewhere. Brady was drafted later, has inferior physical tools and came to be starter under very similar circumstance. So you could say Kap actually compares favorably to early Brady and has potential to run neck and neck with him now on many days. He isnt in Tom's league mentally yet, but Kap can simply make plays Tom probably never could and certainly cant now.

Now look at the talent around them...comparing Niners this year to Pats last year. Bolden is flat out better than Loyd. No question. When pairing up TE's Vance and Vern are pretty comperable to Gronk and Hernandez last year...probably better as both the Pats guys were hurt plenty and Vance while raw has potential well beyond Hernandez. Collie if healthy has the tools to be a Welker light in the slot...he wont be as good, but minus concusion has shown similar ability to be that chain mover. So really the wild cards are Patton, Manningham, Crabs and Williams and to a lesser extent until he shows otherwise Jenkins. Lets say for the sake of arguement Crabs and Rio dont even come back at all this year. Not true in Rio's case..but whatever. Still Patton, Williams and even Jenkins are hands down better than anything else the Pats had available last year period full stop. The remaining recievers on that roster were historicaly bad and you arent even taking into account our RB's make theirs look like pop warner.

I really think Kap has more than enough talent and slightly to greatly better weapons depending how it pans out for some of these guys to eclipse Brady's numbers from last year hands down. There is no certainty that he will...but its not homerism or a pipe dream to see its very, very possible.

Kaep would have to massively increase his passing #'s if he wants to be like Brady. As it stands he is run and pass. And nowhere near the pocket passer Brady is. He's not in that league yet. He played 10 games. He can just as easily regress. I like Kaep a lot and hope for the best. He certainly has very big upside. He's just not at the Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady level of passing yet. I'm not sure he ever will be. Maybe he will. I hope so.
Dont mistake not having to throw the ball 40 times in a game for being incapable. Rogers and Brady have to throw the ball that many times because their backs are trash. You are right Kap wont throw enough to catch them in pure yardage terms...because our team is more well rounded and he wont have too. But in completion percentage, yards per attempt and other measurables that arent dependent on being a one dimensional, air it out type offense I can almost garuntee he will be comperable. The pocket isnt the only place compete from.

It's not. But he is not the pocket passer Brady or Rogers are. At least at this time. Yards, TD's, attempts, completions. Not on par.

This argument sounds similar to what's being argued in the NFC west thread in that Russell Wilson is nowhere near the QB that Drew Brees is.

Russell Wilson is indeed nowhere near as good as Drew Brees. He has a monster defense backing him up. One of the best in the league. Us and them have great defenses. Brees has no defense like that on his team. Wilson doesn't have to do all that much to win. Just like Kaep in some ways.

Wilson is nowhere near the category of Brees.
Originally posted by shawndeno49:
Future depth chart
1.Crab watch out when he comes back
2.AB He will be one on the best additions this year
3.MM I expect Mario to to come back full and be one of CK7 favorites
4.Austin I think Collie will jump up the depth chart a become our best slot receiver
5.kdub expect some explosive plays from Mr. Williams this year
6.QP kind of buried in depth but stays because of ability
7. KOsgood special teams beast
Notable cuts: AJ, Hawkins practice squad lockette
What are your thoughts?

Saying they'll be "a" strength isn't saying much considering the suckitude from that position over the past decade or so. And then the one guy who had a built a rapport with the new QB and was poised for a monster season destroys his Achilles. And I wouldn't bank on him coming back at all this season, or how effective he'll be if he does.

You've got one healthy, seasoned vet (Boldin) with a proven track record but not exactly the guy you were planning to be #1, a couple decent vets (Manningham & Collie), with MM still out and Collie trying to prove he can stay healthy. Williams also coming back from injury and someone who when healthy hasn't shown he's anything more than "potential"...and then a bunch of young 1-2 year guys, including one trying to fight off being labeled a bust.

So when you say "strength", to me that's not just filling up a stat sheet with receptions...it's consistently extending drives on 3rd down, yards after catch, stretching the field, making that good move or tough catch for a TD instead of yet another FG attempt, etc. Obviously Kaepernick and others have to also do their jobs, but right now I'm not exactly overconfident this corps of WRs can get the job done.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Saying they'll be "a" strength isn't saying much considering the suckitude from that position over the past decade or so. And then the one guy who had a built a rapport with the new QB and was poised for a monster season destroys his Achilles. And I wouldn't bank on him coming back at all this season, or how effective he'll be if he does.

You've got one healthy, seasoned vet (Boldin) with a proven track record but not exactly the guy you were planning to be #1, a couple decent vets (Manningham & Collie), with MM still out and Collie trying to prove he can stay healthy. Williams also coming back from injury and someone who when healthy hasn't shown he's anything more than "potential"...and then a bunch of young 1-2 year guys, including one trying to fight off being labeled a bust.

So when you say "strength", to me that's not just filling up a stat sheet with receptions...it's consistently extending drives on 3rd down, yards after catch, stretching the field, making that good move or tough catch for a TD instead of yet another FG attempt, etc. Obviously Kaepernick and others have to also do their jobs, but right now I'm not exactly overconfident this corps of WRs can get the job done.

Thanks for giving a reality check to some excitable fans around here. Production at WR will be a major concern IMO, not a strength.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Russell Wilson is indeed nowhere near as good as Drew Brees. He has a monster defense backing him up. One of the best in the league. Us and them have great defenses. Brees has no defense like that on his team. Wilson doesn't have to do all that much to win. Just like Kaep in some ways.

Wilson is nowhere near the category of Brees.
I still dont think you get the difference between having to and being able to. Would Brees be in that category if he didnt have a crappy defense and a weak running game? Just because you dont have the need doesnt mean you are not capable. What you are saying is that just because I drive my car at 55 it is irrelevant that it can go 140. I am talking about potential you are arguing that the car cant go that fast just because we choose not apply the gas any further...

I really dont understand that mentality...that you have to make 40 attempts a game to be considered elite is just not relavent in my mind. Its quality not quantity. By your meteric Kap could complete 90% of his passes on the year but if he doesnt attain the same yardage he is some how inferior because he comes up short in yardage. number of completions total and TDs...that makes no sense to me because our team is more well rounded and as a result Kap will need to air it out less...it doesnt change his ability to do so when called upon....

I digress though....we have derailed this thread enough...and my point was more in regards to our wideouts anyway.