There are 218 users in the forums

Our receivers will be a strength when everyone get healthy!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
traditional preseason fluff post, moving along

So....why post in a thread you won't be following?
When you have "3 starting quarterbacks" that means you have none.

When you have 10 #2 receivers....that means you have none.
Originally posted by dj43:
I am skeptical, at least for this season.

For a WR to come back fully from an achilles injury in less than 8-10 months is a not realistic. I don't expect Crabtree to do be available this season, although there is hope for the playoffs. Not likely.

Boldin is a nice add but, at this point in his career, is a #3.

Williams is a back up slot receiver on most good passing teams.

Collie is the wild card. If he plays back to Indy form he would be a solid #3.

Manningham was a #3 on the Giants and very much over-rated here in the 'zone.

Patton is totally unknown.

Osgood is ST but no real receiving threat.

Moore might make the roster, maybe not.

Jenkins will only make the team because of his contract, not his talent.

So without MC, that leaves us with 2 #3s, a good concussion case, and a bunch of career backups. Hard to get very excited about that. I expect a lot of ground and pound this season.

This is still a far cry from the days of Buttcrack Bryant and Arnaz Battle. Oh and Sullivan's hardon Bryan Gillmore.

Torry Holt gave us 1 good year in those dark days.
They will be healthy just in time for the playoffs and a sb. Win like the ravens last year
I think it will get a little better when Williams and Manningham are fully healthy. These clowns we are waiting for in training camp and preseason I got no faith in.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:46 AM ]
Eh, maybe VD gets 2000 yards without Crabs around. Who cares, as long as we win. Look at all the damage Brady has done for years without premier wideouts. I think Kap will be just fine.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Eh, maybe VD gets 2000 yards without Crabs around. Who cares, as long as we win. Look at all the damage Brady has done for years without premier wideouts. I think Kap will be just fine.

Kaep relied on Crabtree hugely last year. Brady is more of a pocket passer and more used to that role. Plus he played in 5 Super Bowls. He's a more established guy. Kaep played 10 games. I like Kaep and his future potential. But comparing him to Brady at this point is just absurd.
I believe Kaep is an exceptional talent and will make any receiver that makes it to the playing field productive. A savvy receiver like Collie will find seams and could be the #2. McDonald is a beast and will be a factor in the red-zone. Kyle Williams and AJ (hopefully) will see some deep routes making the offense unpredictable.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Kaep relied on Crabtree hugely last year. Brady is more of a pocket passer and more used to that role. Plus he played in 5 Super Bowls. He's a more established guy. Kaep played 10 games. I like Kaep and his future potential. But comparing him to Brady at this point is just absurd.
Maybe not entirely absurd. Not saying he is in Brady's league yet, but they all have to start somewhere. Brady was drafted later, has inferior physical tools and came to be starter under very similar circumstance. So you could say Kap actually compares favorably to early Brady and has potential to run neck and neck with him now on many days. He isnt in Tom's league mentally yet, but Kap can simply make plays Tom probably never could and certainly cant now.

Now look at the talent around them...comparing Niners this year to Pats last year. Bolden is flat out better than Loyd. No question. When pairing up TE's Vance and Vern are pretty comperable to Gronk and Hernandez last year...probably better as both the Pats guys were hurt plenty and Vance while raw has potential well beyond Hernandez. Collie if healthy has the tools to be a Welker light in the slot...he wont be as good, but minus concusion has shown similar ability to be that chain mover. So really the wild cards are Patton, Manningham, Crabs and Williams and to a lesser extent until he shows otherwise Jenkins. Lets say for the sake of arguement Crabs and Rio dont even come back at all this year. Not true in Rio's case..but whatever. Still Patton, Williams and even Jenkins are hands down better than anything else the Pats had available last year period full stop. The remaining recievers on that roster were historicaly bad and you arent even taking into account our RB's make theirs look like pop warner.

I really think Kap has more than enough talent and slightly to greatly better weapons depending how it pans out for some of these guys to eclipse Brady's numbers from last year hands down. There is no certainty that he will...but its not homerism or a pipe dream to see its very, very possible.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by dj43:
I am skeptical, at least for this season.

For a WR to come back fully from an achilles injury in less than 8-10 months is a not realistic. I don't expect Crabtree to do be available this season, although there is hope for the playoffs. Not likely.

Boldin is a nice add but, at this point in his career, is a #3.

Williams is a back up slot receiver on most good passing teams.

Collie is the wild card. If he plays back to Indy form he would be a solid #3.

Manningham was a #3 on the Giants and very much over-rated here in the 'zone.

Patton is totally unknown.

Osgood is ST but no real receiving threat.

Moore might make the roster, maybe not.

Jenkins will only make the team because of his contract, not his talent.

So without MC, that leaves us with 2 #3s, a good concussion case, and a bunch of career backups. Hard to get very excited about that. I expect a lot of ground and pound this season.

This is still a far cry from the days of Buttcrack Bryant and Arnaz Battle. Oh and Sullivan's hardon Bryan Gillmore.

Torry Holt gave us 1 good year in those dark days.

Lol Torry Holt never played for us. You must be referring to Bruce.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by shawndeno49:
Future depth chart
1.Crab watch out when he comes back
2.AB He will be one on the best additions this year
3.MM I expect Mario to to come back full and be one of CK7 favorites
4.Austin I think Collie will jump up the depth chart a become our best slot receiver
5.kdub expect some explosive plays from Mr. Williams this year
6.QP kind of buried in depth but stays because of ability
7. KOsgood special teams beast
Notable cuts: AJ, Hawkins practice squad lockette
What are your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Crabs? If he comes back
Boldin is good that's a given
Mario one of Kaps favorite targets? you can't just be on the same page with a WR overnight
Austin ? don't even know if his head is right?
everyone else is a major question mark

thats too many question marks !!!!
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Maybe not entirely absurd. Not saying he is in Brady's league yet, but they all have to start somewhere. Brady was drafted later, has inferior physical tools and came to be starter under very similar circumstance. So you could say Kap actually compares favorably to early Brady and has potential to run neck and neck with him now on many days. He isnt in Tom's league mentally yet, but Kap can simply make plays Tom probably never could and certainly cant now.

Now look at the talent around them...comparing Niners this year to Pats last year. Bolden is flat out better than Loyd. No question. When pairing up TE's Vance and Vern are pretty comperable to Gronk and Hernandez last year...probably better as both the Pats guys were hurt plenty and Vance while raw has potential well beyond Hernandez. Collie if healthy has the tools to be a Welker light in the slot...he wont be as good, but minus concusion has shown similar ability to be that chain mover. So really the wild cards are Patton, Manningham, Crabs and Williams and to a lesser extent until he shows otherwise Jenkins. Lets say for the sake of arguement Crabs and Rio dont even come back at all this year. Not true in Rio's case..but whatever. Still Patton, Williams and even Jenkins are hands down better than anything else the Pats had available last year period full stop. The remaining recievers on that roster were historicaly bad and you arent even taking into account our RB's make theirs look like pop warner.

I really think Kap has more than enough talent and slightly to greatly better weapons depending how it pans out for some of these guys to eclipse Brady's numbers from last year hands down. There is no certainty that he will...but its not homerism or a pipe dream to see its very, very possible.

Kaep would have to massively increase his passing #'s if he wants to be like Brady. As it stands he is run and pass. And nowhere near the pocket passer Brady is. He's not in that league yet. He played 10 games. He can just as easily regress. I like Kaep a lot and hope for the best. He certainly has very big upside. He's just not at the Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady level of passing yet. I'm not sure he ever will be. Maybe he will. I hope so.
Damnit Crabs! Imagine if he never got hurt. I know there's always a silver lining...but damn going into the season with Kap, Crabs, Boldin, Davis, and Gore would have been sooo good!

Kaep would have to massively increase his passing #'s if he wants to be like Brady. As it stands he is run and pass. And nowhere near the pocket passer Brady is. He's not in that league yet. He played 10 games. He can just as easily regress. I like Kaep a lot and hope for the best. He certainly has very big upside. He's just not at the Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady level of passing yet. I'm not sure he ever will be. Maybe he will. I hope so.
Dont mistake not having to throw the ball 40 times in a game for being incapable. Rogers and Brady have to throw the ball that many times because their backs are trash. You are right Kap wont throw enough to catch them in pure yardage terms...because our team is more well rounded and he wont have too. But in completion percentage, yards per attempt and other measurables that arent dependent on being a one dimensional, air it out type offense I can almost garuntee he will be comperable. The pocket isnt the only place compete from.

Dont mistake not having to throw the ball 40 times in a game for being incapable. Rogers and Brady have to throw the ball that many times because their backs are trash. You are right Kap wont throw enough to catch them in pure yardage terms...because our team is more well rounded and he wont have too. But in completion percentage, yards per attempt and other measurables that arent dependent on being a one dimensional, air it out type offense I can almost garuntee he will be comperable. The pocket isnt the only place compete from.

It's not. But he is not the pocket passer Brady or Rogers are. At least at this time. Yards, TD's, attempts, completions. Not on par.
Share 49ersWebzone