LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 'fake offense' that tore everyone on the Packers D a new a**hole last year. That fake offense he's talking about
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The 'fake offense' that tore everyone on the Packers D a new a**hole last year. That fake offense he's talking about

Yup, that's the one! I never knew something so fake could be so real.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

His fake ass defense is what he should be concerned with.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Clay Matthews says the Packers are going to hit the quarterback to stop this "fake offense". I suspect they think they are going to do the same thing the Ravens did in the Super Bowl, but I am sure we are not going to just give up the QB run like we did and will plan for extra protection to mark off the spy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237687/article/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-plan-hit-the-qb

Why does everyone think that our playbook is exclusively the read option? We are a smashmouth running team with a sprinkle of option plays and a dynamic passing game

This. The 49ers offense is NOT the read-option. The RO is only one wrinkle in our diverse offense. If the Packers' game plan is to stop the RO exclusively, they are going to get burned badly. It's easy to say that they're going to implement a certain plan before the game. It's another matter to actually do it come game time, as the offense will counter what the defense is giving them and throw new wrinkles at them. If Clay Matthews wants to play the entire game as if he is trying to stop the RO that is perfectly fine by me.

Good post real9er.

With all the "hitting of the QB" I've heard to stop the read-option or slow it down, well isn't that more like playing dirty?? I mean, seriously, that's the only thing they could come up with to stop the read-option and I thought these were NFL defensive coordinators we were talking about.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Clay Matthews says the Packers are going to hit the quarterback to stop this "fake offense". I suspect they think they are going to do the same thing the Ravens did in the Super Bowl, but I am sure we are not going to just give up the QB run like we did and will plan for extra protection to mark off the spy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237687/article/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-plan-hit-the-qb

Why does everyone think that our playbook is exclusively the read option? We are a smashmouth running team with a sprinkle of option plays and a dynamic passing game

This. The 49ers offense is NOT the read-option. The RO is only one wrinkle in our diverse offense. If the Packers' game plan is to stop the RO exclusively, they are going to get burned badly. It's easy to say that they're going to implement a certain plan before the game. It's another matter to actually do it come game time, as the offense will counter what the defense is giving them and throw new wrinkles at them. If Clay Matthews wants to play the entire game as if he is trying to stop the RO that is perfectly fine by me.

Good post real9er.

With all the "hitting of the QB" I've heard to stop the read-option or slow it down, well isn't that more like playing dirty?? I mean, seriously, that's the only thing they could come up with to stop the read-option and I thought these were NFL defensive coordinators we were talking about.
I still say 2 can play this game. Do they really want to get into a duel of who can hit the QB hardest and most frequently? I bet they lose their QB before we do ours. LOL!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Of course the 9ers offense is more than just the read-option. However, having said that, I don't think we should just give it up just like what we did in the Falcons and Ravens games. It was too easy if all it took was 1 spy to get it done. I guess what we did at the time was to take the passive route by diverting to RB run and drop back passing. I am more than sure Harbaugh and Roman must have come up with schemes on how to continue to attack with the read-option while protecting Kap at the same time. I am expecting we will be unveiling Pistol/read-option 2.0 and will look forward to seeing what Clay Matthews and Co. can do trying to stop it.
About Matthews saying that they'll just hit the quarterback every time they run a pistol formation - it seems like there should be a way to have a receiver move into the large hole left by the outside defensive rusher as he charges in to hit the quarterback and just drop a pass to the receiver. It seems likely that the 49er offensive brains have probably figured out some kind of counter-move to what they saw the Ravens doing last year in the Superbowl.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
What Clay Matthews doesnt understand is you have to CATCh him before you can HIT him.
We'll see which QB gets hit the most. I see some rookies filling in on that Packers O-line.
theyve been game planning all offseason and the best they come up with is hit the qb lol. isnt that always the objective?

I have never seen justin smith play angry in the preseason like he did this year. If i didnt hate rodgers so much I would feel sorry for him. I think he could be in real trouble this game. there are going to be lots of quick hitting routes from the packers. he's gonna be trying to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. our lbs are gonna get an int!
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
theyve been game planning all offseason and the best they come up with is hit the qb lol. isnt that always the objective?

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by outside4949:
I have never seen justin smith play angry in the preseason like he did this year. If i didnt hate rodgers so much I would feel sorry for him. I think he could be in real trouble this game. there are going to be lots of quick hitting routes from the packers. he's gonna be trying to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. our lbs are gonna get an int!

Yes 100%. They are going to try and hit Cobb and Finley with lots of quick passes.
Now would it be legal when they run the option if Kaep hands the ball off and then goes low and takes out the knees of the DE or LB who is going to hit him?
I was in Vegas this weekend and apparently was sitting next to clay Matthews brother. He was talking to some friends and said "I got colin kaepernick for fantasy league.. He tore up my bro clay last year" and he looked very very similiar to clay. Idk if it was him for sure though
Share 49ersWebzone