LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Browsed a few Packers forums and came across an interesting tidbit regarding them looking at how the Rams played us as a basis to stop us. If I remember right, without being too selective, the tie only happened when Kape had to come in mid game and Akers missed 2(?) easyish field goals.

I also remember in the loss, the main factors were the pitch play to Ginn which let them back in, and "Hands of Stone" Walker dropping an incredibly soft and catchable ball in the end zone from Kaep, taking us to extra time and the eventual loss. People can correct me if I am wrong, but last year I think we should have gone 13-3 again with the losess to Minnesota, the Giants (Alex Smith chasing the game and throwing INTs) and the mauling in Seattle on the short week being the games we deserved to lose.

I guess I am saying that it's difficult to look at game tape from last year and point to a game where there is a real weakness game planned for and executed by the opposition - well not one featuring Kaep, except maybe the Giants - they seem to have our number though I would like to play them again with Kaep and see if they can game plan properly for him. Looking at the offseason, the injuries to the Smith bothers definitely impacted the games against Atlanta and obviously the SB where our defense just didn't get up to game speed until the second half.

I feel cautiously optimistic fo Sunday, obviously things can change on any given Sunday, but I think our lines ae just too good for GB. Aaron Rodgers is going to do hsi thing, but with ther O-line being more beat up than normal and starting a rookie out against the Smith brothers, I think it's going to be tough for them. I think we'll be able to get pressure from our basic line - I have a feeling on obvious passing downs we may see Lemonier coming in for the rush of him and Aldon, we haven't seen that yet in pre-season and it could be scary. Brooks is obviously no slouch either and has been tearing it up in pre-season.

P52 and B53 are going to do their thing in stopping the run and picking up the TE's, I think as long as Reid is not exposed we will be in a good place.

I don't think we're going to be stopped on Offense either, as long as Staley holds Mathews out as he did in the play-offs then Kaep will pick their D apart. Most of Kaep's yards in the play-offs came on scrambles when GB ran man coverage or blitzed, I think it will be very difficult for them to hold Kaep in the pocket and rely on coverage, whether zone or man, as Vernon and Boldin are mismatches and Vance, Patton and Moore are looking solid.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM ]
Everyone in the league is talking about our read-option. The more intriguing aspect of our offense to me is the 2 TE formation. And the team has been real quiet about that aspect all offseason, especially when they have added V. McDonald. With the injury to Crabtree and a young receivers involved, I think Roman may put something new together with our 2TE formation to the Packs.

Oh, and look...there's rumor that they will convert Harper to TE ...hmmm.....
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
So ready for week 1! My girl is a Packers fan & has been talking so much crap already. Gonna be a wild day in our house for sure!

Be sure to hide all the sharp objects on gameday.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Go, Niners, go!

This is when we know the season has really started.

Naw, when we get the first tingle update from Mayo, thats when the season has started.

It's coming soon.

Offseason has got to be brutal on you.

Nah. It's not too bad. Lot's going on every month.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Everyone in the league is talking about our read-option. The more intriguing aspect of our offense to me is the 2 TE formation. And the team has been real quiet about that aspect all offseason, especially when they have added V. McDonald. With the injury to Crabtree and a young receivers involved, I think Roman may put something new together with our 2TE formation to the Packs.

This is definitely what i'm looking forward to seeing. I think Vance is going to be huge in our offense. He probably won't put up huge numbers as he'll be the 3rd/4th option in the pass game when in and not blocking but his skill set will help to move the chains. His height will also help in the redzone.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Oh, and look...there's rumor that they will convert Harper to TE ...hmmm.....

While the rest of the league is planning to defend the read option, the niners have already planned for something else. I'm not going to be suprised either if they tweaked the read option just a tad in someway to show a formation that the defense has never seen. Thats the genius of Harbaugh/Roman. Some of you might not like the Mangini signing but I think its these type of games where his knowledge is going to help this offense explode even more.
The Packers are looking for a running game, and they won't find it against the Red Wall. I can see the Niners winning by 2 TDs
Originally posted by Buchy:
Browsed a few Packers forums and came across an interesting tidbit regarding them looking at how the Rams played us as a basis to stop us. If I remember right, without being too selective, the tie only happened when Kape had to come in mid game and Akers missed 2(?) easyish field goals.

I also remember in the loss, the main factors were the pitch play to Ginn which let them back in, and "Hands of Stone" Walker dropping an incredibly soft and catchable ball in the end zone from Kaep, taking us to extra time and the eventual loss. People can correct me if I am wrong, but last year I think we should have gone 13-3 again with the losess to Minnesota, the Giants (Alex Smith chasing the game and throwing INTs) and the mauling in Seattle on the short week being the games we deserved to lose.

I guess I am saying that it's difficult to look at game tape from last year and point to a game where there is a real weakness game planned for and executed by the opposition - well not one featuring Kaep, except maybe the Giants - they seem to have our number though I would like to play them again with Kaep and see if they can game plan properly for him. Looking at the offseason, the injuries to the Smith bothers definitely impacted the games against Atlanta and obviously the SB where our defense just didn't get up to game speed until the second half.

I feel cautiously optimistic fo Sunday, obviously things can change on any given Sunday, but I think our lines ae just too good for GB. Aaron Rodgers is going to do hsi thing, but with ther O-line being more beat up than normal and starting a rookie out against the Smith brothers, I think it's going to be tough for them. I think we'll be able to get pressure from our basic line - I have a feeling on obvious passing downs we may see Lemonier coming in for the rush of him and Aldon, we haven't seen that yet in pre-season and it could be scary. Brooks is obviously no slouch either and has been tearing it up in pre-season.

P52 and B53 are going to do their thing in stopping the run and picking up the TE's, I think as long as Reid is not exposed we will be in a good place.

I don't think we're going to be stopped on Offense either, as long as Staley holds Mathews out as he did in the play-offs then Kaep will pick their D apart. Most of Kaep's yards in the play-offs came on scrambles when GB ran man coverage or blitzed, I think it will be very difficult for them to hold Kaep in the pocket and rely on coverage, whether zone or man, as Vernon and Boldin are mismatches and Vance, Patton and Moore are looking solid.

Too bad the Packer's defense and particularly the DL is nowhere near the quality of the Rams.
Originally posted by Buchy:

The beauty is that the Packers are over examining the 49ers right now, when they should just stick to their regular game plan. The 49er's weaknesses from a year ago have been up graded for the most part. With Mangini studying the 49ers past tendencies, we should be well prepared. One play that stands out from the last Superbowl, is when Suggs routinely hit Kaep after he handed the ball off. A good counter punch would be to send a guard to trap that rusher and put him on his back side. I have a feeling the Packers will try and do the same thing with Clay Mathews. If they plan it right, the Niners should be very successful, as the Packers are not the Ravens and Mathews is not Suggs
Originally posted by valrod33:
Rodgers wont lose 3 games in a row to us

Packers 75
49ers 6

Plus Harbaugh and everybody are too busy game planning for the Seahawks

Well, they are the first real team of the season.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
My friend...is Aaron Rodgers really going to attack Reid all day

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:

From what we've seen of the 1st team pass rush in the pre-season....I don't think any QB is safe.
Originally posted by Baldie:

From what we've seen of the 1st team pass rush in the pre-season....I don't think any QB is safe.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Baldie:

He had me at Lamentation.

I love that clip.
Originally posted by vermonator:
The beauty is that the Packers are over examining the 49ers right now, when they should just stick to their regular game plan. The 49er's weaknesses from a year ago have been up graded for the most part. With Mangini studying the 49ers past tendencies, we should be well prepared. One play that stands out from the last Superbowl, is when Suggs routinely hit Kaep after he handed the ball off. A good counter punch would be to send a guard to trap that rusher and put him on his back side. I have a feeling the Packers will try and do the same thing with Clay Mathews. If they plan it right, the Niners should be very successful, as the Packers are not the Ravens and Mathews is not Suggs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237687/article/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-plan-hit-the-qb
Share 49ersWebzone