There are 228 users in the forums

Do we need a veteran QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Totally agree w/buck.

Josh Johnson is not a better QB backup than Tolzein.

And Palmer - he totally sucks so forget about him.

Scott will do just fine w/a quality OLine in front of him. I hope we NEVER have to find out.

I think our real concern based on the first preseason game will be backup offensive tackles.

They look like the Chilo Rachal of offensive tackles.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Trade Tolzien for Cassel

This is worthy of a ban. Lord Tolzien >>> Brees.
I really think McCoy or Tolzien would play much better if godforbid Kap went down, because our 1st string oline is top notch where our 2nd string was absolutely horrific. You cant expect any QB to play to great levels when as soon as the ball is snapped he has 3 defenders in his face, I think we proved that with against of great qbs last year.
we will see.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not have solid basis for comparing Tolzien and McCoy.

But, not having a solid basis has never stopped me before.

Tolzien looks more comfortable when the pressure is coming than McCoy.

McCoy looks, and this just my speculation, more than a bit skittish or discombobulated.

Given enough time working with Harbaugh, McCoy should gain more confidence.
McCoy did get nicked in that game, and hence came out. While in I liked his play better than Tolz, who I have always been high on. Really tough to make decisions based on Qbs wth no pass protection....and it makes it doubly hard to evaluate WRs when QB is having a near death experience every snap of the ball.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
McCoy did get nicked in that game, and hence came out. While in I liked his play better than Tolz, who I have always been high on. Really tough to make decisions based on Qbs wth no pass protection....and it makes it doubly hard to evaluate WRs when QB is having a near death experience every snap of the ball.

How is his play better than Tolzien in that game? It's not even close Tolzien was far better.....
We actually need a vet swing tackle
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
We actually need a vet swing tackle

That guy from Michigan is horrific.... He is the Chilo Rachal of Tackles.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

How is his play better than Tolzien in that game? It's not even close Tolzien was far better.....

Tolzien was awful. It literally caused me physical pain to watch

I'm comfortable with McCoy as our #2. If we had to rely on him, our offense would look like it did in 2011 and the first half of 2012, which was still a Super Bowl contending team. Besides, who could we get at this point that is better than McCoy?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm comfortable with McCoy as our #2. If we had to rely on him, our offense would look like it did in 2011 and the first half of 2012, which was still a Super Bowl contending team. Besides, who could we get at this point that is better than McCoy?

McCoy is a solid player. I'm not worried about our backup situation at all.
Originally posted by xtm059:

McCoy was far worse and couldn't even last for more than a few plays.
Originally posted by xtm059:

McCoy was far worse and couldn't even last for more than a few plays.

He got crushed, and was taken out. it's not like he gave up and walked to the bench, the coaches pulled him out
Based on how lousy the backup OT's were maybe Jamal Brown would be a good pickup?
Share 49ersWebzone