There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whats up with Mario Manningham?

Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh come on, Kyle only had 17 fair catches coming IN to the Titans game. That's not much is it? LMAO

He had one punt return of 14 yards called back because of a penalty. On second thought, It might have been 19 yards.

I am pretty sure that gave us our worst starting position of the game.

Perhaps, we should be hoping for successful fair catches.

Lol it was a 22 yard return! But as long as he handles the ball n we dont give it away im happy! Seeing ginn wit panthers, his quickness brought memories of his kr-pr tds vs seattle in 11! As long as our sp teams keep pinning them back its all good. Positive take is we can run out more clock on sustained drives

Seriously. Anyone notice how much better the Panthers used Ginn and his speed? 5 catches for 80 yards to lead the Panthers including some key 3rd down gains. I believe he droped a 50 yard potential TD as well but still, it just goes to show you that if you use your personnel to the best of their abilities, they will succeed. You can add all of our "receivers" beyond Boldin and they wouldn't have close to 80 yards. LOL. Scheme can be everything!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Seriously. Anyone notice how much better the Panthers used Ginn and his speed? 5 catches for 80 yards to lead the Panthers including some key 3rd down gains. I believe he droped a 50 yard potential TD as well but still, it just goes to show you that if you use your personnel to the best of their abilities, they will succeed. You can add all of our "receivers" beyond Boldin and they wouldn't have close to 80 yards. LOL. Scheme can be everything!

That's why I think we get out coached at times
Originally posted by LVJay:

Agree! I think the run game is very creative but the use of WR in this system is...not...creative! I sometimes wonder if they are still in mid-installation of the offense?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree! I think the run game is very creative but the use of WR in this system is...not...creative! I sometimes wonder if they are still in mid-installation of the offense?

MM/Crabs should have most of those plays/the playbook down to a science by now... I hope they return to game speed quickly

These things can be issues, however

ginn's route running has improved dramatically. He's trying harder because he has opportunity.
Ginn's progress is a perfect example of how our coaches don't properly utilize the talent on this team. If/When we let LMJ walk, you'll see him excel on whatever team he goes to. Unless of course it's some POS team like the Jags.
Its disappointing to see our talent thrive elsewhere but so long as our team is doing better than CAR or anyone else I can't trash our coaches when the bottom line is winning and we are doing plenty of this. I don't get to caught up in how it looks so long as it is sustainable. And our formula has worked three years straight now unlike other teams. If course I want to see a better use of personnel. For instance Now with Hunter Baldwin LMJ and Vance but when web win I can care less
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Ginn's progress is a perfect example of how our coaches don't properly utilize the talent on this team. If/When we let LMJ walk, you'll see him excel on whatever team he goes to. Unless of course it's some POS team like the Jags.

Ginn was a bum before he joined the 49ers and continued to be a bum while with the team. Up until the Bucs game, he was a bum with Carolina. Before the Bucs game he was averaging 2.5 Recptions, 46.1 Yards, and had 2 TDs. His best career season (2nd year in Miami) he averaged 3.5 Receptions, 49.4 Yards and had 2 TDs.

His production most definitely took a nose dive when he joined the 49ers but remember that Alex Smith was his QB from 2010 until late last season and was brought in for ST purposes. Good QB or not (I think he's good), very few WRs have ever experienced game breaking performances with Smith at QB.

Yep, I noticed! He is a key part of their offense.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:

These things can be issues, however

ginn's route running has improved dramatically. He's trying harder because he has opportunity.

Yeah that's true, the more one plays, improvement can come along... same could be said for a couple of others we had to let go and are doing pretty good on other teams.
Originally posted by NJNiner:

Yep, I noticed! He is a key part of their offense.

Since when?
That's why I think we get out coached all the time

Fixed
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by buck:
Oh come on, Kyle only had 17 fair catches coming IN to the Titans game. That's not much is it? LMAO

He had one punt return of 14 yards called back because of a penalty. On second thought, It might have been 19 yards.

I am pretty sure that gave us our worst starting position of the game.

Perhaps, we should be hoping for successful fair catches.

Lol it was a 22 yard return! But as long as he handles the ball n we dont give it away im happy! Seeing ginn wit panthers, his quickness brought memories of his kr-pr tds vs seattle in 11! As long as our sp teams keep pinning them back its all good. Positive take is we can run out more clock on sustained drives

Ginn Jr. is trash. He doesn't like contact and drops passes regularly.

The decision to not re-resign him was made when the team had Boldin and Crabtree healthy and Manningham rehabbing well.
The argument being made about Ginn vs Coaching-staff-using-talent is a bit off. First of all, Ginn only played 27 games under Harbaugh/Roman. 20 of those games, Alex Smith was the starting QB. While Smith is a very good QB, pass catchers that are not RBs or Vernon Davis do NOT thrive under him individually. The most prolific pass catching season under A. Smith (not named Davis or Frank Gore) was a 61 Catch, 835 Yard season from Isaac Bruce.

The point is that Ginn's lack of production in SF had nothing to do with Harbaugh/Roman's ability to utilize his talent. The circumstances of his stint with the 49ers vs his current situation with the Panthers is not even close to the same.

How well Ginn does in Carolina is totally irrelevant to Harbaugh/Roman's coaching.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
The argument being made about Ginn vs Coaching-staff-using-talent is a bit off. First of all, Ginn only played 27 games under Harbaugh/Roman. 20 of those games, Alex Smith was the starting QB. While Smith is a very good QB, pass catchers that are not RBs or Vernon Davis do NOT thrive under him individually. The most prolific pass catching season under A. Smith (not named Davis or Frank Gore) was a 61 Catch, 835 Yard season from Isaac Bruce.

The point is that Ginn's lack of production in SF had nothing to do with Harbaugh/Roman's ability to utilize his talent. The circumstances of his stint with the 49ers vs his current situation with the Panthers is not even close to the same.

How well Ginn does in Carolina is totally irrelevant to Harbaugh/Roman's coaching.

Agree that Ginn would likely play better in any truely vertical passing game that utilizes speedy receivers for go routes on a regular basis, but Ginn would still do poorly under JH/Roman system of run first and WR block. Just did not fit into the sceme...but I still worry about our WR coaches ability to develop receivers...just not much proof that he can.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home