LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yeah, OTC, what we really need to do is keep all 8 CBs and 8 WRs. We both know that isn't going to happen.

Every year, someone's gotta get cut. In the end, they rarely come back to bite you. If I had to pick 6 WRs to keep, they'd be: Boldin, Patton, Collie, Williams, Jenkins, and Osgood. That gives us an experienced group outside of Patton and Jenkins. Once you get into the 5th and 6th WR, ST value become far more important. You need a consistent stud ST there. Osgood fits that bill. It's why I think Skuta -- who has played all 3-4 LB positions, gets the 8th LB spot.

WR: Boldin, Collie, Williams, Patton, Jenkins, Osgood

OLB: Brooks, Aldon, Haralson, Lemonier

ILB: Willis, Bowmna, Wilhoite, Skuta (ILB/OLB/ST)

CB: Rogers, Brown, Brock, Asomugha, Cox, Wright

I don't think Manningham is going to PUP. If we keep 7 WR, I think we keep Lockette who showed that he has the potential to be a terrific gunner and has a high ceiling as a WR. Osgood looked good in game 1, but he's going to have to look great in every game and practice here on out if he's going to unseat a young guy with potential.

I don't know about that. We'll see. Regardless, I really, really do not think we cut Jenkins. He's going to get at least this year as a chance to not make Baalke look like a fool for selecting him in the 1st round. I still don't expect Manningham to be ready, and if not, that last spot comes down between Moore, Lockette, Hall, and Osgood. Hall is quick, but his ST value is as returner, not coverage. All other three WRs beat him in this area, as well as in size.
There will never be another Bill Walsh. JH has the insight, the good talent choice, the good plays (excepting SEA game in mud, and SB last series), BUT:

As noted above, penalties are for losers. Just look at the Raiders....perennial losers combined with most penalties....sometimes back to back yrs. But when Vince Lombardi won the first two SBs, the Packers were the least penalized team. Penalties come from inattentiveness. It is a reason that getting most of the players on the field at one time or another is a great idea, even if for one play, or several plays. Not my idea, but came from some great coach yrs ago. Penalties come from sloppiness, starting in practice and carried onto the field game day. Penalties are the hallmark of a poorly coached team, or in other words, a team that couldn't pay attention. That said, like so many others, just getting rid of Goldson will help a ton. Our other problem is OL and in part DL. Again, that is just not paying attn. It is sloppy. And it is a coaching error. If a play is practiced on the field and Joe Blow is offsides at RT, then run it again until NO penalties. Just having great talent won't win it. Players have to be attentive , and they darn well better be warned to pay attn. when they screw up with an offsides. All penalties are self inflicted injuries. No question Coach H knows this but...he has to have been too lax on practice field, because sloppy practice makes for sloppy game day...no matter how talented the team is.

Another weakness was a monumental surprise to me, not to mention every other 49er fan on the planet. 4 downs to go, 2 T.O.s, and he calls one before the first play( I think). Then 4 quick plays, and game ends with overthrow to Vernon. Our coach had no idea what to call with 4 plays to go from the 9 yd line, and worse, ended up with one T.O. left over. If asked before game would Coach know what to call under those circumstances, I would have said "Hell yes". But he didn't. Coach Walsh would have had 4 great scoring plays had he had the best running game in the league, and the best run blocking OL. Amazing that Coach H would get that far and then just melt down with 1:39 left to go in the game. The greatest coach in the game today, and he didn't have 4 plays to get us in the end zone. Don't know if that was Roman or not, but Coach H is responsible, and will be in the future. You just gotta have 4 or 5 scoring plays at the end of the SB especially in close.

Additionally, cc and I seem to be more bent out of shape over this than others, but the majority of the last half of SB, we had the best two ILBs in the league sitting on the dam bench. That is inexcusable. You have two all pro players at ILB, you play them both. To not do so shows an alarming lack of judgment in player utilization.

Probably the most infuriating thing Coach Harbaugh did last yr and the yr before, was fail to get plays in on time. It is, in my opinion, a great reason for our HC to call plays, and stick by them. OC can whisper in his ear, but HC calls the plays and THEN...Gets them in on time. This was a colossal screw up each and every time it happened, and true, at end of yr, it got a lot better. But no winning football team can routinely get plays in late and expect to win. Yet our HC was guilty of that for most of last two yrs. He has gotten lots better, thank God.

A final note, and then I promise I won't bring any of these up again. The SEA game, played in mud, wind, rain. Our first series a penalty. Moved back 10 yrds, and then roman has Kap throw three bombs, all incomplete. 3 and out. SEA gets ball on 50 yd line and it was all downhill from there. So a final chink in JH's armor is in game planning. And I might add, sometimes a failure to change tactics in 2nd half. This was game planning and it was inexcusably crappy. Was this all Roman with JH's blessing? No way of knowing, but the HC has to know his opponent, know how to beat him and know how and when to stick to game plan and when not to.
Here's a hint. Going long from the 10 yrd line in SEA for our first three plays is a bonafide loser. Coach H showed it here with an icky game plan. Ok, it was horse schidt. A great coach, a SB winning coach, knows how to game plan. And here were just two instances where his game plan or the game plan roman put forward were dog meat.

So there you have it: Penalties, not having a play for every situation, not playing your best players in the game, not getting plays in on time, and not having good game plans for your opponent were the major and stark deficiencies of Coach Harbaugh last season. Frankly he has to improve greatly on all if he wants that SB ring.

That said, he is unquestionably the best coach in the NFL and the best GM in trent. I could not be happier with him and know he will us get more SB rings. I well remember our fall from grace with noln and worse, BM(big mike). He was like a superhero appearing after being led by the worst coaches in the NFL. So yeah, I love the guy. He is one of my all time sports heroes. I wouldn't want anybody else. He will need to improve on the four items above, however, if he is to take us to the promised land.

Good grief, I am very sorry for the length of this.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM ]
anthony dixon mic'd up

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Micd-Up-RB-Anthony-Dixon-vs-Broncos/fae8900f-0df7-4fdc-87bf-6539f4577b97

after rewatching the game, I like Marlon Moore's sneaky ability that I feel he has and that defenses don't quite know but he will make some noise at WR just you watch & see.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Cool way to watch the game! And thanks for the keen insight...watchful eye esp. on specific players. I'll be watching some other lesser-named players this week in Divens, Scheplar, Lockette, Cooper, Morris, Gray (wearing Walker's number), Cam Johnson, etc.

Honestly I only watched the first and second string. I couldn't watch the whole game slow mo. It would take to long. Slow mo allows you to observe the technique if all the players at once. Gotta love DVR. I agree though. I will most definitely watching some of the players further down on the depth chart.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
I've watched the game three times and I just finished it in slow motion.

A couple of thoughts.

I think we're going to improve defense. Ian Williams was nearly unblockable one on one. He was opening up space in a way that sopo and RJF couldn't. This is going to ray McDonald's peak year. He was just a bull. The reason I think we improve is because we finally have depth at DT in the nickel. McDonald, Williams, Smith, and Dorsey are going to remain fresh throughout games and they will create pressure in the middle that we lacked so dearly. The pressure in the middle will spill over into a lot of one on one for the edge rushers. Yet again were going to have great depth at that position. Smith, Lemonier, Carradine, and Brooks can all beat the one on ones created by the pressure in the middle. Carradine was a vicious pass rusher in the 4-3 at flor st and I don't think we should utilize that in the 4-2. I feel bad for some of these olines.

Not.

Dorsey played great. I've read some comments that he created no pressure. He had 2 Tfls. He was frequently double teamed. When he wasnt double teamed he easily used his powerful hands to push aside linemen. He has excellent technique. He was not pushed aside once and there was a couple of snaps where the RB would alter his run because Dorsey had penetrated so quickly. He may not get the NT start but I think he's first up in the middle at nicklel and I think he will be a great compliment to McDonald or smith.

Lemonier is fast. He dropped back in coverage once and he was attached at the hip. He needs to perfect his run defense but I think we found a starter in 3rd. The most exciting thing for me is That his ceiling doesn't seem to have limit. He has the speed, strength, size, and he can rush. He's going to get better every game I feel. I hope.

Wilhoete looked good. He got beat once on a crossing route. He missed a tackle. Besides that he was solid. I think playing with bowman or Willis will elevate his player. He could be a starter if the worst happens.

Lastly I'm going to make a bold prediction and say we have Whitners replacement in spillman.

I use to watch it frame by frame when re-watching as it was a good way to break down each player. You can see who's getting off the line the quickest for OL, DL and WR. Who's covering who, who missed a tackle, who missed a block, etc. It's so hard to get much from the game live because most have a tendency to follow the ball and see whats going on in general. Watching it again you get so much more because you can key in on areas you wouldn't normally key in on. Then watching it in slow motion or frame by frame you get even more. You can find guys who are potential steals or dark horses as well. I remember seeing Wilhoite last year and was like this guy looks good he might make the team next year and now he looks to be the #3 ILB (he looked good like you said minus those 2 plays). Also, Tukuafu was another like 2 or 3 years back who showed great hustle and I thought he could stick and he's still with us although he hasn't done too much. I liked Philip Adams, Tramaine Brock and Spillman too. All 3 are still contributers in the league. Brock was our leading ST tackler last year. Adams might still be with us if he didn't break his ankle (loved his quickness and fluid hips) and Spillman I could tell shortly after signing him this guy is quick and a great gunner and he's been our ace for a few years. Anyways, always appreciate insight from people who re-watch it once or twice because it usually means they aren't just throwing out snap judgements and overreactions. Side Note: Like you said some people were saying Dorsey played bad and I wouldn't say that at all but to me he did look a little out of shape and like he had gained weight. Maybe we asked him to but I guess it was game #1 so he should get his stamina up and get into better shape as the season goes on.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM ]
Wonder if we should start getting used to the words, "Staley got beat"

Hope not.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Wonder if we should start getting used to the words, "Staley got beat"

Hope not.

Im not worried at all. He was just going through the motions. His footwork was still top notch and he most likely just needs to get back into the groove.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I use to watch it frame by frame when re-watching as it was a good way to break down each player. You can see who's getting off the line the quickest for OL, DL and WR. Who's covering who, who missed a tackle, who missed a block, etc. It's so hard to get much from the game live because most have a tendency to follow the ball and see whats going on in general. Watching it again you get so much more because you can key in on areas you wouldn't normally key in on. Then watching it in slow motion or frame by frame you get even more. You can find guys who are potential steals or dark horses as well. I remember seeing Wilhoite last year and was like this guy looks good he might make the team next year and now he looks to be the #3 ILB (he looked good like you said minus those 2 plays). Also, Tukuafu was another like 2 or 3 years back who showed great hustle and I thought he could stick and he's still with us although he hasn't done too much. I liked Philip Adams, Tramaine Brock and Spillman too. All 3 are still contributers in the league. Brock was our leading ST tackler last year. Adams might still be with us if he didn't break his ankle (loved his quickness and fluid hips) and Spillman I could tell shortly after signing him this guy is quick and a great gunner and he's been our ace for a few years. Anyways, always appreciate insight from people who re-watch it once or twice because it usually means they aren't just throwing out snap judgements and overreactions. Side Note: Like you said some people were saying Dorsey played bad and I wouldn't say that at all but to me he did look a little out of shape and like he had gained weight. Maybe we asked him to but I guess it was game #1 so he should get his stamina up and get into better shape as the season goes on.
I think most people have a tendency to follow the ball. I wish there was a way to get the angle behind the QB. Thats the most important angle from a tactical/analytical standpoint IMO. Slow motion allows me to see the flow of the Oline, the coverages, and the front 7s gap responsibility. Its really the only accurate way to evaluate the technique of the oline and dline. Seeing the way they use their hands and footwork in slow mo is like a revelation.

Tukuafu played good. He gets absolutely no penetration but he can 2 gap pretty well. He was playing against the 2nd and 3rd but still he held his own. I don't think he has much potential to progress but he's very versatile.

I agree with you on Brock and Spillman. Brock actually got alot of snaps this game. He did really well. He wasn't tested often but still I don't think he gave up a catch. Spillman moved into the box to make a couple of big tackles. The tricky thing is that Manning only had one series and the rest the broncos O was running. Its hard to evaluate coverage ability that way. Either way I think we have two promising prospects in spillman and brock. I think Asomugha should get the nod over brock though.

On a final note I really hope Dorsey finds a groove. I think his most valuable asset will be in the nickle. He looked the part but ultimately hes going to have to put up those stats stats stats.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by defenderDX:
anthony dixon mic'd up

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Micd-Up-RB-Anthony-Dixon-vs-Broncos/fae8900f-0df7-4fdc-87bf-6539f4577b97

Tell dude was exhausted towards to end of the game. Don't really see how brutal the game is until you see stuff like that.

anthony dixon mic'd up

ATTENTION NOOBS, MARVIN49 IS GONNA CREATE ONE OF THESE FOR THIS YEAR (PRESEASON), SO DON'T CREATE ONE....OK?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

ATTENTION NOOBS, MARVIN49 IS GONNA CREATE ONE OF THESE FOR THIS YEAR (PRESEASON), SO DON'T CREATE ONE....OK?

lolol. I was about to come in here and be like "JESUS! Hold your horses, Marvin is going to do his thing soon enough!"

But it was just you being 2 steps ahead....we can only hope there aren't 7 threads of "I think....." before Marvin can post his thoughts.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
anthony dixon mic'd up

Tell dude was exhausted towards to end of the game. Don't really see how brutal the game is until you see stuff like that.

This. Remember watching that last year and thinking "wow, he took a beating". Just another day at the office for those guys.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone