1) Kap is the man. No worries here.
2) Neither QB looked great. A lot of people seem to think Tolzien outplayed McCoy. I don't see it that way. I think McCoy flashed more ability, particularly when he escaped the pocket and tossed a nice ball to Hall. The overthrow to Jenkins was bad. Tolzien is tough to watch for me. He goes through his reads very quickly, but his throws travel in slow-motion. He throws a weak ball. Josh Johnson outplayed him last year, and should have made the roster over him.
3) Vance looks like he's going to be a stud. Big body, can move, is a hands catcher, and can win jump balls. I like it. I see him as 3rd leading receiver this year behind Boldin and VD.
4) Hard to gauge safety play from my TV, but I thought Reid was fine. I'm not surprised he may have played with a little less decisiveness than what we're used to with Goldson. Safety is the last line of defense. One false step could be the difference between a short gain and a TD. He never got beat or exposed, and that's what I was looking for. He just needs a few games to get comfortable. He's been progressing very quickly in camp.
5) Agree with you on Jenkins. I'm gonna cut him some slack, although the fumble is all on him. The QB has to be able to trust you, and I think that may be lacking right now. But he does get separation and he has flashed ability to pluck the ball and run. He was open several times yesterday. He toasted the DB on the McCoy INT. Had Kap been at QB, he would have drilled a pass right into his hands before the safety came over the top. I want to see Jenkins get more time with the 1's in the next couple games.
6) Amazing what a mobile QB can do for your line. Kap bailed out Staley and Davis twice, and made a negative into a positive both times. Not worried though. Davis and Staley are the best pair of bookends in the league IMO.
7) Asomugha had a nice game, although his usefulness is a bit limited because he only lines up at RCB. Brock is the 3rd corner and will remain higher on the depth chart because he can play LCB when Rogers moves to the slot in nickel. Cox had a tremendous game. Should seal his spot on the 53. I don't think Wright is a lock to make the roster. He has to contribute in camp and in the games. Overall, I actually feel pretty good about this group.
8) James looked good, especially with the first-string offense. I'd love to see him get involved in the passing game a little bit. I think he even fielded a punt yesterday without fumbling! Went for 0 yards, but it's progress.
9) Okoye played about how most expected. He looks lost. Doesn't know how to translate his immense measurable to the field just yet. It's all good. I think 2 years here on the practice squad will do wonders for the guy. By year 3, he should make significant progress.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]