LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
You seem to not want Reid to succeed. Jenkins you are defending and he has yet to earn the right for anyone to defend him. Reid steps on the field (1st game) and is clearly a better player than Jenkins has shown to be thus far.

Sure Reid is thinking but that is part of being a rookie, where as Jenkins may be getting open but has yet to earn the trust of the Qbs. I hope both players become solid starters for the 49ers cause it will not help the team if they keep trying to bring in guys to fill Safety and Wr positions in future drafts.

The one concern I have is that Carradine and Dial are not cleared to play and with Fangio preference for vets they may become like Jenkins and other rookies from last year where they are not given a chance to contribute. Carradine is to talented to red-shirt.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Disagree with your assessment of Eric Reid, I thought he did a good job of directing the secondary at one point, you don't see many rookies do that their first Preseason game, Patrick Willis didn't even do it. I think given more time, we will see a more complete Eric Reid he just won't be that big hitter you saw last night.

I have no concern about the mental aspect of the game. I was more just referring to how he didn't "play downhill" if you know what I mean. He didnt play fast...but that could be attributed to his first game action. I also didn't like how often he was arm tackling. He made the tackles, but on a few ocasions the player he was tackling was very close to breaking free.

He will improve as he plays more. I'm not saying he had a bad game either. he played well. i think more than anything I was noting the difference between what he is now and what we have become accustomed to.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Marvin...good stuff. Im a HUGE Vance guy, I think he's gonna be an absolute stud if he can just shake the dropsies. At this stage Im more interested in seeing how his blocking is developing, I think he gets a solid B for his blocking in this game! Huge improvement from what scouts were saying when he came out of Rice.

Not really worried about his blocking, we have the right coaches to help him learn.... Lest forget, Delaine was WR coming out of college.... with coaching he became one of the best if not the best blocking TE in the league
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by leon49:
I wanted to see more of Lockette when he was a WR, but that special teams hit he put on Trindon Holliday was EPIC!!!!

Tony Montana squad will beast out this year

I actually should have mentioned that....the additions of Osgood, Skuta, Dahl, and Moody were all with Special Teams in mind. The Niners want those special teams back like they were in 2011.
Originally posted by GORO:
You seem to not want Reid to succeed. Jenkins you are defending and he has yet to earn the right for anyone to defend him. Reid steps on the field (1st game) and is clearly a better player than Jenkins has shown to be thus far.

Sure Reid is thinking but that is part of being a rookie, where as Jenkins may be getting open but has yet to earn the trust of the Qbs. I hope both players become solid starters for the 49ers cause it will not help the team if they keep trying to bring in guys to fill Safety and Wr positions in future drafts.

The one concern I have is that Carradine and Dial are not cleared to play and with Fangio preference for vets they may become like Jenkins and other rookies from last year where they are not given a chance to contribute. Carradine is to talented to red-shirt.

LOL.

Um...no.

I want and EXPECT Reid to succeed. I am simply describing what I saw. Now...it's likely that I have higher expections of Reid than I do of Jenkins, but it has NOTHING to do with not wanting Reid to succeed.

Look at it this way...lets put the players on a 1-100 scale.

Everyone seems to be saying Reid is an 80 and I'm saying slow down, he's not quite an 80 yet..I see more as a 70 until he gets more comfortable.

People seem to have Jenkins as a 20 and I'm saying lets not be so hasty...his performance wasn't entirely his own fault.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL.

Um...no.

I want and EXPECT Reid to succeed. I am simply describing what I saw. Now...it's likely that I have higher expections of Reid than I do of Jenkins, but it has NOTHING to do with not wanting Reid to succeed.

Everyone seems to be saying Reid is an 80 and I'm saying slow down, he's not quite an 80 yet..I see more as a 70 until he gets more comfortable.

People seem to have Jenkins as a 20 and I'm saying lets not be so hasty...his performance wasn't entirely his own fault.
Reid is a 65 but potential to be that 80 to 90

Jenkins did not separate himself from Marlon Moore, to bad Quinton Patton is not healthy I think he would have played well last night. I did see Jenkins make strides but I do not think he is gonna be starting against the Sea hawks in week 2. There was an article were the CB LOWELL whom just got released was pressing Jenkins and he was unable to separate, when allowed free of the line of scrimmage jenkins looks like the real deal but he still not able to separate against press coverage.
LOL.

Um...no.

Jenkins did not separate himself from Marlon Moore, to bad Quinton Patton is not healthy I think he would have played well last night. I did see Jenkins make strides but I do not think he is gonna be starting against the Sea hawks in week 2. There was an article were the CB LOWELL whom just got released was pressing Jenkins and he was unable to separate, when allowed free of the line of scrimmage jenkins looks like the real deal but he still not able to separate against press coverage.

Whatever the number is...my point was that I already have a much higher opinion of Reid than I do of Jenkins. I wasn't comparing them to each other. I was comparing them to what the widespread opinion is on their performance last night.

Crabtree admitted beating press coverage was an issue in the NFC Championship game against the Giants, three years into the league. Or maybe it was beating double coverage.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
If Williams carries over his preseason game and camp performance to the regular season our d-line is gonna be nuts. Getting that much push and being lined up next to Justin and Aldon has me more excited than just about any other development this offseason. Soap and RJF were pretty much ghosts when it came to any sort of pass rush last year.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Crabtree admitted beating press coverage was an issue in the NFC Championship game against the Giants, three years into the league. Or maybe it was beating double coverage.

Jenkins just needs to get bigger. He's already on the way. He added 10 lbs this offseason.

I really don't know how anyone could criticize Reid's first game playing safety. Of course he was thinking. The position is safety. And, as far as I'm concerned, he put on an absolute clinic in tackling in his very first game. It's easy for me to understand why some scouts called him the best tackler in college football last year. I think Reid is going to be nails.

But, the defensive players I really can't get over as far as how impressive they were are Lemonier and Williams. O.M.G. Lemonier is so quick off the line, it's shocking. And I had no idea Ian Williams could be such a beast at NT. Think about it - they were able to stop Peyton Manning's no-huddle offense without Patrick Willis and Justin Smith in the fricking lineup! And they were very, very good on the back end last night. The corners were almost perfect. I am really liking the way the defense looks.

And the offense? So much for those fans worried about whether or not Kaepernick could run a controlled, long-drive offense. That guy is going to roll this year. I can just feel it.
Denver's backup QBs were a lot better than the Niners'. Not impressed with Tolzien at all. If he's the #2, we could be in big trouble if Kap goes down.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM ]
Marvin...Do you think Reid will be starting week 1?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Jenkins just needs to get bigger. He's already on the way. He added 10 lbs this offseason.

Sure hope we don't have to wait another year for this, we need him to step up now and be a part of a Superbowl Run--------------------
I do understand what you were saying in regards to Reid. The Redskins had two rookie safeties start last night and Reid played better than both.
[ Edited by GORO on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Marvin...Do you think Reid will be starting week 1?

Yes.
Share 49ersWebzone