There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Preseason 2013 Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont want Snyder anywhere near OT.

I'd take him over who was playing there last night.

My point tho is that we have players that back up several positions. I don't see those guys who played last night making it into a game.

Snyder would be emergency tackle. I'm sure if one of the starters went down Boone would shift to T and we'd bring Snyder, Looney or Kilgore in at RG. I doubt Snyder would go to tackle and Boone would stay at RG. Would be asking for trouble.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM ]
Thanks Marvin.

This was "test night" and for the first test we did well. Not great but looked very positive overall.

I've been very critical of Dixon over the years. Last night he was better than he's ever been.

Lemonier will be, w/our coaching, an impressive player.

Cox = Return man

Ian Williams was impressive. I was a bit let down by Dorsey - I was so hoping he'd light it up.

Wilhoit better than I thought he'd be. With more playing time he'll be an effective player.

Kilgore played well and shows our FO & coaching prowess to pick & develop players. I hope we find another Kilgore type guy or two at OT for the farm team.

Overall, our rookies will have their growing pains but will by season's end be effective contributors. I really think McDonald will be special.
Originally posted by SantaFe49er:
Dixon was a bright spot last night in the fact that he did what he was supposed to do against 2nd and 3rd team defense. He found holes, shot through them, broke a few arm tackles, caught passes and made tackles on ST. Hard to believe he's the 4th RB. LMJ may have the speed and return ability but i might like Dixon more especially after the LMJ fumble.

Dixon will be lucky to make the team...and if he does it'll be because he can play both RB positions and play special teams...not because he's a better runner than LaMichael. LaMichael was running against the 1's. He actually beat one of the fastest OLBs in the NFL (Von Miller) to the corner.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
what about Phil Dawson any concerns ?

None.

He missed one long kick on his first night at the 'stick. No worries.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont want Snyder anywhere near OT.

I'd take him over who was playing there last night.

My point tho is that we have players that back up several positions. I don't see those guys who played last night making it into a game.

Snyder would be emergency tackle. I'm sure if one of the starters went down Boone would shift to T and we'd bring Snyder, Looney or Kilgore in at RG. I doubt Snyder would go to tackle and Boone would stay at RG. Would be asking for trouble.

Exactly.

The guys who played tackle last night won't do so in the season. They would move guys around.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Disagree with your assessment of Eric Reid, I thought he did a good job of directing the secondary at one point, you don't see many rookies do that their first Preseason game, Patrick Willis didn't even do it. I think given more time, we will see a more complete Eric Reid he just won't be that big hitter you saw last night.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Disagree with your assessment of Eric Reid, I thought he did a good job of directing the secondary at one point, you don't see many rookies do that their first Preseason game, Patrick Willis didn't even do it. I think given more time, we will see a more complete Eric Reid he just won't be that big hitter you saw last night.

This is true. He cleaned up a lot of other guys' mistakes too. He wasn't tested in the deep pass game so it's hard to say how complete of a guy he is, but he looked really good flying in to make tackles.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I would rather see Alex Boone be the emergency RT IMO, Snyder is more of an interior O-lineman. Like I said in another thread if they, lost Staley (knock on wood) you could move Anthony Davis back to his college position at LT. Move Boone to RT where hes practice there before and was a OT in college and install Snyder at RG where I think he looks more comfortable at. Sure that's a lot of shifting but I think it would be the best line up that wouldn't be that much of a drop off.
Great summary Marvin.

I'm with you on all counts.

McDonald is going to be better than Walker ever was.

Reid is going to take over by game 1, gradually becoming a force.

Jenkins was WAY OPEN all night regardless of the type of coverage. All he needs is an OL to give his QB a little time. His QB is Kaep, who worked with Jenkins all off season. The starting OL will block.

No opinion on the CB's yet.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Btw, anyone notice Carlos Rogers blanketing Wes Welker last night, surprise no mention of that. Had good coverage on him on an out-route.
How did Dobbs and Tukuafu look?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
How did Dobbs and Tukuafu look?

Dobbs looked real good of beating the LT on a couple plays, I listed him as one of my winners. I think he was in on one of the sacks, he didn't get .5 sack but he brought pressure, I think hes a keeper and should leave him on defense.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Good stuff Marvin.

Back up QB is still a puzzle. Neither had a chance to show what they could do last night due to the fact Denver kept their starting DL in after Harbaugh pulled his starting OL. As a result, McCoy was injured and Tolzien was under near constant pressure. This was pure dumb on Harbaugh's part. He needs to find out who can get the job done if Kaep goes down but he won't learn much playing them behind guys who will not be on the roster. JH should have seized the opportunity to see what they could do behind the starters, after all, that is what they will be playing behind once the games count. Mistake Harbaugh. We didn't learn much about who is the best back up last night.

I am also a Vance fan. He showed some very good stuff last night. As a TE, he adds to the offense what Vernon Davis cannot/has not, he can find the open spots in the zone quickly and sit down for the QB under pressure. With the train wreck we currently have behind Boldin at WR, and Vernon being worked in at WR, the potential McDonald brings as a TE might be the key to having a decent passing offense after all.

Reid played like a rookie last night but he also showed closing speed and the ability to stop a player in his tracks. He was a bit tentative on one tackle but he has some time to work that out. He is a smart kid who will only get better, but I was not disappointed last night - just not overly impressed.

I like Ian Williams a lot last night. He will bring more game than Sopoaga, IMO.

Dorsey showed some good, some not-so-good last night. He was solid against the run but did not bring the pass rush he had in college. From having spent some time over on the KC boards in the past months since the trade, the knock on him was more against the coaching staff using him as a 3-4 DE and expecting pass rush even though the position was more a run stopper. It was the opinion of some of the more astute posters in KC that he could still be a good pass rusher if he was given the chance to just put his hand in the ground and go forward. He did show good strength against Denver's starter so it will be interesting to see how he does. I'm sure he will want to bring some against his old team Friday.

Liked Dobbs' play. Good instincts. Aggressive but under control.

Tuk good and bad.

Lemonier had some great moves but also a couple of rookie mistakes. He will be a very good option.

Impressed with Haralson. He knows he is playing for a roster spot and he came through very well. I was somewhat surprised he showed so well after a year off.

Schmidt hit some very nice punts last night although Robinson should have let one go into the end zone. This guy won't make this roster but he may well wind up on another.
So, looks like Collie may make it but Hawkins not so much?
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So, looks like Collie may make it but Hawkins not so much?
Too soon to say very much about WR. QBs had very little time to scan the field and find the open guy. The coaching staff has seen a lot in practice and has a much better idea of who will make it and who won't than we learned from last night. Still a totally blank page, IMO.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home