1) Kaep: Kaep was Kaep. I don't see a dropoff this year as many in the Pacific Northwest hope. Had complete command over what he was doing and just looks comfortable.
2) The other QB's: I kinda think it may be a bit unfair to judge either guy because they were under a barrage of pressure all night. Niners have some issue at OT in those 2nd and third teams, but I'm not really that concerned with it. Adam Snyder can move out there if need be. The guys who were playing tackle yesterday will probably not even be on the roster. Colt didn't look great, but I still think he wins this competition. Tolzien looks kinda manic, can't move around very well, and doesn't have a good arm. Colt doesn't have the arm either, but he played yesterday while still learning this O. Tolzien played like that after being here for over 2 years. I like Tolziens release...but not much else.
3) Vance McDonald: Keeper. He's got to get some time on the jugs machine but he was able to do some stuff that Vernon can't...IE find a soft spot and sit in a zone. He was able to go up for a high pass. He was even able to run away from a defender at his size. He has all the tools. Watch out...that guys gonna be good.
4) Eric Reid: I'm not as high on him after this game as others. I don't think he had a bad game, but I don't think he was really good either. He had some good hits but in both cases the player had already gotten the first down. I also saw him try to make too many arm tackles and almost completely missed the RB on a long gain. He seems kinda tentative right now and isn't playing downhill the way we are accustomed to with Whitner and Goldson. I don't know yet if thats just experience or if that is indicative of the player he will be. I don't want to overstate...he did look good...just seems a bit hesitant.
5) AJ Jenkins: OK...I know the kid hasn't had a good history, but I think we need to cut him some slack on this one. The fumble was bad...but he was getting off the press coverage and was getting open behind the defender all night. He was showing some speed out there...the QBs just never found him. He was also WIDE open several times on crossing routes but the QB made another decision. The QBs couldn't get the ball to him when he was going deep because they were getting crushed. On the INT he'd have been wide open as well if Colt didn't completely stare him down or overthrow him. I'm not trying to completely absolve Jenkins of every mistake he's ever made, but I think too much is being made of this game. I was actually encouraged by how he was moving around out there.
6) Starting Tackles: Both guys got beat on that first series and it was Kaep who saved them both times. Staley got beat and Colin scrambled forward for the first down. Anthony Davis was a victim to one of the best spin moves I've ever seen. LOL. This just in: Von Miller is good.
7) Cornerbacks: I still don't know what to make of these guys. It looks like we are going with Rodgers and Brown again as the starters and I'm guessing Brock is the Nickel Corner. There is no way they can put Nnamdi in the slot. He can be good tho defending a specific type player. I can see them using him on taller rangier WRs, but I don't want to see him in there vs Harvin/Austin. Not sure what to make of Eric Wright yet.
8) LaMichael James: Looks bigger with the same speed. He may be in for a big year as the #2 RB behind Frank. I'd obviously want Frank in there at all times, but I'm much more comfortable now with James sharing some of that load...and we still have Hunter this year and Lattimore to look forward to next year.
9) Lawrence Okoye: LOL. He only got a few snaps...but wow...that guy needs some work. If you look at him move around its obvious he's HUGE and built like a greek god...but watching him "fire" off the line...he just looks REALLY, REALLY unsure and doesn't seem to be using any of that power yet. I'm not saying he won't...just sayin' he's got ALOT of work to do.
10) Thank god almighty...FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]