There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont disagree.

I think our backup OT plan is pretty dumb right now. At this point I say draft another 3 OL and finally get the 2nd unit figured out.

The backup OT is Alex Boone and he's pretty good. He doesn't have to prove that in a pre season game.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
WR's (and I'm not sold on Manningham or Williams)
Backup QB's
And the fact CK can't throw left (have this feeling he's going to be exposed)

On the plus side:
LMJ
Mackie D

Half of kaps touchdowns last year were to the left, elaborate on the please!!!!!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
OT depth concerns me the most. The 2nd string were horrific yesterday. Omameh has no business playing tackle. Bykowski is a 7th round rookie and had his ups and downs. I'm assuming Snyder or Boone will be the 3rd tackle during the regular season. Snyder always struggled at tackle, and I don't want to move Boone from his guard spot in the event of an injury to Staley or A. Davis. Wish we had a seasoned vet as a backup.

I actually feel a lot better about our WR's. We have like 4 or 5 guys probably battling for 1-2 spots, and you can make a case for each one. Should be interesting.

The season is f**ked anyways if we have to turn to the backup QB's. There is no up and comer here. Kap is a big, durable athlete so no worries here. Not worried about the turnovers either because they were committed by guys who won't see any playing time during the season.

I feel good about our corners. The coaches are high on Brock, and Aso held his own yesterday. Cox looked great. Wright is coming in. We look set here.

We were only in the red-zone once yesterday. 4th down on the opening drive. The 2nd string sucked so much we never got to practice our redzone offence lol.

Everyone keeps complaignin about oline depth, you guys realize we only kept 7 O lineman last year, so that depth your talking about is 2 offensive lineman.
I'm not concerned about anything. I saw a lot of what I wanted to see. Awesome-wah blew someone up, so did Reid. Skuta got a sack (f**k yeah ) Kaep looked sharp, Colt looked capable, and marlon moore made an awesome catch. V Mac will be a difference maker too. Also GJ dixon. Not concerned. Niners have quality players where we need them.
After watching some preseason highlights and another game, I propose that there's an important option missing from this poll:

"Lack of explosivity on offense."

Playmakers come out in the preseason when they're playing against 2nd and third stringers. We didn't show any.

No playmakers showed up. Seems like that's how other teams put it in during the mess and chaos of preseason.

Is our most explosive player our starting QB? Might be one reason why we came up with only 3 fg attempts.

Davis, Lockette have speed. But that's not quite explosivity. Players with open field creativity are red zone killers. That will be helpful for us when the real football starts. It's a little concerning. We need to find some open field runners, and give them reps.

Don't get me wrong with where I'm going with this. We can be successful without that player, with our defense, and our starting offensive personnel. But it would help to have a couple of broken field types in the mix.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
After watching some preseason highlights and another game, I propose that there's an important option missing from this poll:

"Lack of explosivity on offense."

Playmakers come out in the preseason when they're playing against 2nd and third stringers. We didn't show any.

No playmakers showed up. Seems like that's how other teams put it in during the mess and chaos of preseason.

Is our most explosive player our starting QB? Might be one reason why we came up with only 3 fg attempts.

Davis, Lockette have speed. But that's not quite explosivity. Players with open field creativity are red zone killers. That will be helpful for us when the real football starts. It's a little concerning. We need to find some open field runners, and give them reps.

Don't get me wrong with where I'm going with this. We can be successful without that player, with our defense, and our starting offensive personnel. But it would help to have a couple of broken field types in the mix.

I think that the reason we saw a lack of "explosivity" might have more to do with the skill of the depth players on each team's respective defenses. That's normally what the case is when there are 0 offensive touchdowns in a game.
Originally posted by xtm059:
I think that the reason we saw a lack of "explosivity" might have more to do with the skill of the depth players on each team's respective defenses. That's normally what the case is when there are 0 offensive touchdowns in a game.

Maybe... ...
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:02 AM ]
how were we lack of explosivity when kap was throwing the ball down the broncos throat? our running game was weak and i think the offensive coordinator was trying to force the running play to improve it.
Gore was out. Everything gets more explosive when he is in
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
how were we lack of explosivity when kap was throwing the ball down the broncos throat? our running game was weak and i think the offensive coordinator was trying to force the running play to improve it.

we're talking about more than one series
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I am kind of astonished at the lack of interest we have in obtaining OT depth.
We draft a bunch of guards/centers: Looney, Kilgore, Slowey, and then we sign Adam Snyder, so where do we play him? You guessed it, guard.

We developed an incredibly talented UFA in Boone over the last few years. Boone, a tackle in college, was developing very well at the OT position. So where is he playing now? Do I really have to say it? Ok, I will. He's playing guard.

We take OT Person in the seventh round a few years ago (no longer on the team), and we took OT Bykowski in what round this year? You guessed it, seventh round.

We seem to place an extreme amount of importance in our guard position, but it's just "meh, whatever" when dealing with our offensive tackle depth. I don't EVER want to say "I told you so", but if something happens to one of our starting OT's, well, do I really have to say it?
i think boone was just a situation of him being too good to be a backup. and then looney and kilgore were to fight it out with boone and goodwin. i have no real problem with any of those. and i think boone swings out to tackle in the event of an injury, which is fine.

but i agree with you on the snyder signing, and the lack of an attempt to get a serviceable 4th OT. i do not want to see snyder anywhere near OT.

Wouldn't it have been nice if ONE of these players; Looney, or Kilgore, or Slowey, or Snyder could play guard as well as Boone, and then Boone spent his time concentrating on OT?
That would give us confidence in knowing that we won't skip a beat if an OT went down. It just seems like a real waste of draft picks and resources to see it play out the way it did.
Because as it stands right now, we have no DEDICATED backup OT.
We currently have: Boone, who is dedicated at guard; Snyder, who skips around everywhere; a 7th round pick at OT; and some UFA fodder at OT.

This was always my concern as well. I actually wanted Boone to battle with Staley at LT (natural position) b/c I thought he could be our future and let Staley/Davis fight it out at RT as well. Now you have three very very good OT's and depth. And then inside, you've got Slowey, Synder, Looney, Kilgore all battling it out with Iupati, Goodwin and for the vacant RG spot. I understand how it played out as it did but here we are again, with no REAL depth at OT w/o seriously messing with the chemistry on the OL should Staley (probable)/Davis go down.
Kaep scrambling for his life a couple of times. He only made it look good by getting positive yard running and throwing. The O-line starters need to do better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This was always my concern as well. I actually wanted Boone to battle with Staley at LT (natural position) b/c I thought he could be our future and let Staley/Davis fight it out at RT as well. Now you have three very very good OT's and depth. And then inside, you've got Slowey, Synder, Looney, Kilgore all battling it out with Iupati, Goodwin and for the vacant RG spot. I understand how it played out as it did but here we are again, with no REAL depth at OT w/o seriously messing with the chemistry on the OL should Staley (probable)/Davis go down.

why is it probable staley will go down?
[ Edited by xtm059 on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertribe004:
Everyone keeps complaignin about oline depth, you guys realize we only kept 7 O lineman last year, so that depth your talking about is 2 offensive lineman.

Pretty sure we kept 8, but I get your point. It's going to be an issue if Snyder has to play tackle, or if he we have to shuffle the line to accommodate Boone moving to tackle. I can rest easier knowing we have a real backup swing tackle. No doom and gloom here. Just one of the few instances where we need some additional depth.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kaep scrambling for his life a couple of times. He only made it look good by getting positive yard running and throwing. The O-line starters need to do better.

True, CK masked many of our pass blocking issues and for a large, powerful line, the OL can get blown back in running plays resulting in loss of yardage (James had a bunch that first half esp. on off-tackle runs...just no where to go at all and outnumbered).