There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

I am kind of astonished at the lack of interest we have in obtaining OT depth.
We draft a bunch of guards/centers: Looney, Kilgore, Slowey, and then we sign Adam Snyder, so where do we play him? You guessed it, guard.

We developed an incredibly talented UFA in Boone over the last few years. Boone, a tackle in college, was developing very well at the OT position. So where is he playing now? Do I really have to say it? Ok, I will. He's playing guard.

We take OT Person in the seventh round a few years ago (no longer on the team), and we took OT Bykowski in what round this year? You guessed it, seventh round.

We seem to place an extreme amount of importance in our guard position, but it's just "meh, whatever" when dealing with our offensive tackle depth. I don't EVER want to say "I told you so", but if something happens to one of our starting OT's, well, do I really have to say it?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We draft a bunch of guards/centers: Looney, Kilgore, Slowey, and then we sign Adam Snyder, so where do we play him? You guessed it, guard.

We developed an incredibly talented UFA in Boone over the last few years. Boone, a tackle in college, was developing very well at the OT position. So where is he playing now? Do I really have to say it? Ok, I will. He's playing guard.

We take OT Person in the seventh round a few years ago (no longer on the team), and we took OT Bykowski in what round this year? You guessed it, seventh round.

We seem to place an extreme amount of importance in our guard position, but it's just "meh, whatever" when dealing with our offensive tackle depth. I don't EVER want to say "I told you so", but if something happens to one of our starting OT's, well, do I really have to say it?
i think boone was just a situation of him being too good to be a backup. and then looney and kilgore were to fight it out with boone and goodwin. i have no real problem with any of those. and i think boone swings out to tackle in the event of an injury, which is fine.

but i agree with you on the snyder signing, and the lack of an attempt to get a serviceable 4th OT. i do not want to see snyder anywhere near OT.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

i think boone was just a situation of him being too good to be a backup. and then looney and kilgore were to fight it out with boone and goodwin. i have no real problem with any of those. and i think boone swings out to tackle in the event of an injury, which is fine.

but i agree with you on the snyder signing, and the lack of an attempt to get a serviceable 4th OT. i do not want to see snyder anywhere near OT.

Wouldn't it have been nice if ONE of these players; Looney, or Kilgore, or Slowey, or Snyder could play guard as well as Boone, and then Boone spent his time concentrating on OT?
That would give us confidence in knowing that we won't skip a beat if an OT went down. It just seems like a real waste of draft picks and resources to see it play out the way it did.
Because as it stands right now, we have no DEDICATED backup OT.
We currently have: Boone, who is dedicated at guard; Snyder, who skips around everywhere; a 7th round pick at OT; and some UFA fodder at OT.
Wouldn't it have been nice if ONE of these players; Looney, or Kilgore, or Slowey, or Snyder could play guard as well as Boone, and then Boone spent his time concentrating on OT?
That would give us confidence in knowing that we won't skip a beat if an OT went down. It just seems like a real waste of draft picks and resources to see it play out the way it did.
We currently have: Boone, who is dedicated at guard; Snyder, who skips around everywhere; a 7th round pick at OT; and some UFA fodder at OT.

yes. but then the talks of trading one of the 3 pro bowl OTs for draft picks will start, and it would be very tempting. and i also think a player of that caliber on the bench would be a total waste. if kilgore wins the C spot it would leave them with 1, possible, quality backup G and no dedicated T. which then makes that chain of events nowhere near as bad as it seems now.

but yes i do not like that there is no actual backup at OT. it seems to be baalke's MO though, if there is a hole he will fill it. even if it makes them cut a quality player. it has seemed to work out so far, and they have shown a knack at receiving draft compensation for those players.

all of this becomes null and void when wiggins, omameh, and/or bykowski come out as studs in week 2-3.

Slowey got cut last year. The complete list since Alex was drafted is....

7 40 246 2 Carter Bykowski
4 22 117 27 Joe Looney
6 30 199 5 Jason Slowey
5 32 Daniel Kilgore
1 11 Anthony Davis
1 17 Mike Iupati
2 8 Chilo Rachal
1 28 Joe Staley
2 1 David Baas
3 31 Adam Snyder
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't think we can judge backup QB play based on last night. Here is why:

I will likely get flamed for this because I understand it is high heresy to criticize the great Jim Harbaugh, however, Harbaugh gave Tolzien and McCoy no chance last night. By playing both QBs behind the backup OL while Denver's first string defense was still on the field was just plain dumb. If, either of those two guys have to come into a regular season game, they will NOT be playing behind the backup OL. Consequently, it would have made a lot more sense, and given everyone a much better idea of how they could function, had they been able to play behind the 1st string guys.

Back up QB in this league is a HUGE deal. You have to have someone who can come in and win games, not just keep the ball from falling on the ground, if you are going to get into the playoffs. Therefore, extra time needs to be given to doing everything you can to make sure you have a guy who can do that. This is even more true for the 49ers this coming season than last. Last year everyone knew that Alex Smith could come in to relieve Kaepernick if he were injured. However, that is no longer the case. As important as it is to solve the WR issue, picking the right backup QB is even more important.

Last night, in terms of identifying which of the the two primary candidates is the better backup was a waste of time. Moreover, the fact McCoy suffered an injury while trying to play behind a bunch of guys who will not even make the roster was an inexcusable piece of dumb by Harbaugh. The fact Denver chose to keep their first string defense on the field as long as they did gave Harbaugh a great opportunity to get a much better feel for the most important personnel decision he will face this year, and he wasted the opportunity. Not good coaching.

i disagree. why do you ant to leave your all pro line in and risk an injury to one of them? how many snaps do you want to play them this preseason? will you want to risk kaep behind the backup OL in one of the next games to limit the OL snaps?
I thought I stated that rather clearly: in order to get a good idea as to which guy is going to be the backup. As it was, neither guy had much of a chance as the backups were terrible in pass protection.

I would have given each guy one series with at least half the starting OL in the game. Let them have half a chance to play under decent conditions.
Originally posted by jreff22:

4 22 117 27 Joe Looney
6 30 199 5 Jason Slowey
5 32 Daniel Kilgore
1 11 Anthony Davis
1 17 Mike Iupati
2 8 Chilo Rachal
1 28 Joe Staley
2 1 David Baas
3 31 Adam Snyder

We are very serious about our starting OT's. Davis and Staley were first rounders, and we locked them up quickly into their careers. I am just talking about our backup OT situation.

I remember very clearly during "the glory years" we would always have a quality backup OT. We had solid players like Derrick Deese, Scott Gragg, and Matt Willig backing up that critical position. Some of them were draft picks, some free agents, some of them developed into starters. Either way, we always made sure that the backup position was solid.
To reiterate something Iwas screaming since the draft. We have no playmakers in our defensive secondary. They will get torched this year as did in our playoff run. WE REALLY SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED HONEYBADGER!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by dj43:
I thought I stated that rather clearly: in order to get a good idea as to which guy is going to be the backup. As it was, neither guy had much of a chance as the backups were terrible in pass protection.

I would have given each guy one series with at least half the starting OL in the game. Let them have half a chance to play under decent conditions.

You bold the one and ignore the rest. So after getting an extra 180 snaps last year and hopefully the same this year, you would give them an additional 100 extra snaps during this preseason? I am not willing to wager even 1 all pro OL to test out a 2nd and 3rd string QB. Maybe they should leave VD, boldin, and the whole starting offense to get a real good evaluation. After all figuring out a 2nd string QB is the key to the season.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
To reiterate something Iwas screaming since the draft. We have no playmakers in our defensive secondary. They will get torched this year as did in our playoff run. WE REALLY SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED HONEYBADGER!!!!!!!!

I disagree. I think were fine. Reid is a playmaker and we have corners that will show up. I think Brock is going to show up. A lot of people doubt him, but we have all doubted people that this coaching staff has brought forward and that nobody knew about. I am excited to be pleasantly surprised. Preseason week 1. prospective.
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

I disagree. I think were fine. Reid is a playmaker and we have corners that will show up. I think Brock is going to show up. A lot of people doubt him, but we have all doubted people that this coaching staff has brought forward and that nobody knew about. I am excited to be pleasantly surprised. Preseason week 1. prospective.

Man Brock was awful last year. He was absolute toast every time he was on the field. He got picked on constantly and couldn't stop it. You want to rely on him?....
Originally posted by jreff22:

4 22 117 27 Joe Looney
6 30 199 5 Jason Slowey
5 32 Daniel Kilgore
1 11 Anthony Davis
1 17 Mike Iupati
2 8 Chilo Rachal
1 28 Joe Staley
2 1 David Baas
3 31 Adam Snyder

We are very serious about our starting OT's. Davis and Staley were first rounders, and we locked them up quickly into their careers. I am just talking about our backup OT situation.

I remember very clearly during "the glory years" we would always have a quality backup OT. We had solid players like Derrick Deese, Scott Gragg, and Matt Willig backing up that critical position. Some of them were draft picks, some free agents, some of them developed into starters. Either way, we always made sure that the backup position was solid.

I dont disagree.

I think our backup OT plan is pretty dumb right now. At this point I say draft another 3 OL and finally get the 2nd unit figured out.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man Brock was awful last year. He was absolute toast every time he was on the field. He got picked on constantly and couldn't stop it. You want to rely on him?....

This. Brock had a hard time last year against other team's A-list. Unless he's gone through some crazy offseason conditioning, what will be different? We'll see. I am suspicious about Daryll Morris 0 snaps on D. Why was he held out?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lack of quality WR's concerns me.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Last night's preseason game was interesting. It was certainly good to see our starting offense step out and function like a well-tuned machine to start the game (especially early in preseason). Starting OL looked great. Kap, VD, and Boldin all looked as expected. The starting defense looked great, even without Justin Smith and Patrick Willis.

So concerns mostly have to do with our depth. But from what I saw, we are 1 or 2 injuries away from being in big trouble. I'm a little worried about all of the issues listed in this poll, but my biggest (by far) is our depth at OT. Our backup tackles flat out suck. If anything happens to Staley or Davis we are in big trouble.

What are your concerns?

Not really, the backups as a unit looked bad yes, but those guys will never play as a unit. A few of those backups blended in with the starters would hold there own just fine. That's the problem, people don't really know how to watch a pre season game, you really should focus on single players and matchups and not the entire unit and final score of the game. Almost 40 players from that game will be cut, so people are worrying about players who won't even be on the team. That 2nd unit oline ruined the game, but only 1 player out of that 5 actually has a shot at being that 7th or 8th lineman and that was Looney.