There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

OT depth concerns me the most. The 2nd string were horrific yesterday. Omameh has no business playing tackle. Bykowski is a 7th round rookie and had his ups and downs. I'm assuming Snyder or Boone will be the 3rd tackle during the regular season. Snyder always struggled at tackle, and I don't want to move Boone from his guard spot in the event of an injury to Staley or A. Davis. Wish we had a seasoned vet as a backup.

I actually feel a lot better about our WR's. We have like 4 or 5 guys probably battling for 1-2 spots, and you can make a case for each one. Should be interesting.

The season is f**ked anyways if we have to turn to the backup QB's. There is no up and comer here. Kap is a big, durable athlete so no worries here. Not worried about the turnovers either because they were committed by guys who won't see any playing time during the season.

I feel good about our corners. The coaches are high on Brock, and Aso held his own yesterday. Cox looked great. Wright is coming in. We look set here.

We were only in the red-zone once yesterday. 4th down on the opening drive. The 2nd string sucked so much we never got to practice our redzone offence lol.
  • J49er
  • Veteran
First let me say Trent Baalke is a excellent talent evaluator from rounds 1-3 (minus aj jenkins). What worries me is Baalke's drafting of late round picks that deplete the depth on the team, which reared its ugly head last night. I'm not here to say he is a bad GM which would be ludicrous, but his weakness (if i may) is his use of mid-late draft picks.

It seems most of his picks past round 4 are complete reaches that have very little chance of making a long term replacements of existing players on the roster. Since he picks from a point of strength (One of the most talented rosters inherited)..contrary to popular belief 4-6th round picks are pretty valuable. (ie Boldin) (colt mccoy) etc..thus hitting on these picks are the backbone for long term success in the NFL. here's a look at what we have yielded.

Jason Slowey (6)
Nick Moody 6
Nate Byhnam (6)
Ronald Johnson (6)
Colin Jones (6)
Mike Pearson (7)
Joe Looney (4)
Trent Robinson
Not worried about turnovers or redzone offense but the back up OL and WR depth is very worrying.
Originally posted by J49er:
First let me say Trent Baalke is a excellent talent evaluator from rounds 1-3 (minus aj jenkins). What worries me is Baalke's drafting of late round picks that deplete the depth on the team, which reared its ugly head last night. I'm not here to say he is a bad GM which would be ludicrous, but his weakness (if i may) is his use of mid-late draft picks.

It seems most of his picks past round 4 are complete reaches that have very little chance of making a long term replacements of existing players on the roster. Since he picks from a point of strength (One of the most talented rosters inherited)..contrary to popular belief 4-6th round picks are pretty valuable. (ie Boldin) (colt mccoy) etc..thus hitting on these picks are the backbone for long term success in the NFL. here's a look at what we have yielded.

Jason Slowey (6)
Nick Moody 6
Nate Byhnam (6)
Ronald Johnson (6)
Colin Jones (6)
Mike Pearson (7)
Joe Looney (4)
Trent Robinson

We're actually a very deep team. It's a good trend when your late round picks can't make the team. That indicates a strong roster, when late-round talent have a tough time cracking the 53. And if they do make it, they will have to fight their asses off to make the team again next year. They really have to be exceptional to stick around, not just qualify based on the fact they were drafted.

From 2003-2010 damn near all of our late-round picks stuck around. We lost a ton of games. Now we're winning, the team is loaded, and late-round picks can't stick on the roster. Not a coincidence to me.
Great call SofaKing.
OL depth definitely
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great call SofaKing.

Thanks, bud
There should be an option for nothing. It's way too early and there really wasn't much to see. Not sure how anyone could be critical of last nights game.
The WR actually looked really good. I agree we don't need a ton of WR because we run so many backs and tight ends.

I imagine that by the time the playoffs start our WR lineup will be Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Collie. That's pretty sick.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I would say backup OT.. but in games that matter, I suspect Boone would kick out if need be. So... I say backup QB.

ITA here. Boone and Snyder. In both cases would be terrible for OL effectiveness. I couldn't really evaluate the back-up QBs and WRs because the pressure was way too quick on the outside. Both tackles were just poor in pass protection. If the QB is trying to develop a rapport with his WRs, at least give them more than 2 seconds on every pass play to read the field and throw.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM ]
WR by far. Boobie Dixon looked really good running the ball, I hope he makes this team. Hes a good special teamer and can be a BEAST in short yardage situations.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Jason Slowey (6)
Nick Moody 6
Nate Byhnam (6)
Ronald Johnson (6)
Colin Jones (6)
Mike Pearson (7)
Joe Looney (4)
Trent Robinson

We're actually a very deep team. It's a good trend when your late round picks can't make the team. That indicates a strong roster, when late-round talent have a tough time cracking the 53. And if they do make it, they will have to fight their asses off to make the team again next year. They really have to be exceptional to stick around, not just qualify based on the fact they were drafted.

From 2003-2010 damn near all of our late-round picks stuck around. We lost a ton of games. Now we're winning, the team is loaded, and late-round picks can't stick on the roster. Not a coincidence to me.

Great point. So far the two I am really looking at to get it going is Looney and Jenkins. Jenkins will make the roster Looney I am not sure on and as a 4th round pick would be a disappointment to not even make the team in his second year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Depth on O-line!

If Colt/Scott played behind the starting O-line, we would've got a better gauge on the back up QBs and WRs...

Jason Slowey (6)
Nick Moody 6
Nate Byhnam (6)
Ronald Johnson (6)
Colin Jones (6)
Mike Pearson (7)
Joe Looney (4)
Trent Robinson

We also selected just off the top of my head in rounds 4 to 7 Kendall Hunter Daniel Kilgore and Bruce Miller. From this year's class I can foresee great things from Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore once they regain health and quite possibly Joe Looney too. We can't overlook the hits for the misses
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't think we can judge backup QB play based on last night. Here is why:

I will likely get flamed for this because I understand it is high heresy to criticize the great Jim Harbaugh, however, Harbaugh gave Tolzien and McCoy no chance last night. By playing both QBs behind the backup OL while Denver's first string defense was still on the field was just plain dumb. If, either of those two guys have to come into a regular season game, they will NOT be playing behind the backup OL. Consequently, it would have made a lot more sense, and given everyone a much better idea of how they could function, had they been able to play behind the 1st string guys.

Back up QB in this league is a HUGE deal. You have to have someone who can come in and win games, not just keep the ball from falling on the ground, if you are going to get into the playoffs. Therefore, extra time needs to be given to doing everything you can to make sure you have a guy who can do that. This is even more true for the 49ers this coming season than last. Last year everyone knew that Alex Smith could come in to relieve Kaepernick if he were injured. However, that is no longer the case. As important as it is to solve the WR issue, picking the right backup QB is even more important.

Last night, in terms of identifying which of the the two primary candidates is the better backup was a waste of time. Moreover, the fact McCoy suffered an injury while trying to play behind a bunch of guys who will not even make the roster was an inexcusable piece of dumb by Harbaugh. The fact Denver chose to keep their first string defense on the field as long as they did gave Harbaugh a great opportunity to get a much better feel for the most important personnel decision he will face this year, and he wasted the opportunity. Not good coaching.

i disagree. why do you ant to leave your all pro line in and risk an injury to one of them? how many snaps do you want to play them this preseason? will you want to risk kaep behind the backup OL in one of the next games to limit the OL snaps?