LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is your biggest concern after seeing Broncos game (preseason)?

• mod
  • Veteran
The only backup O-lineman I was happy with was Kilgore... the rest can suck it.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Only thing that worries me is LMJ's hands. His fumbles last year were a massive concern to me, and I'm really hoping his extra size and strength helps him hold onto it better. He had 4 fumbles last year on less than 40 touches (counting the fumbles vs. the Falcons and Patriots even though they weren't technically fumbles since the play was called dead right before). He can't continue to have the ball knocked out of his hands on 10% of his touches. Even with how explosive he can be, I still consider him a liability until he can correct his ball security.

Other than that, nothing but optimism. If we lose Kaepernick we're in the same boat that 95% of the other teams in the league are in, so I don't see that as a real concern. We won't lose our whole line to injuries, so that's not a huge concern either.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
It was the first f**king preseason game! Jesus Christ! 40 percent of the players won't even be on the team when the season starts, and a good amount of starters weren't even playing.

Where do the Niners draw the line then? After his second season, what if he shows little to no improvement? The excuse would be on the matters of "give him one more year to develop" and "hardly any PT his rookie season". Would three NFL seasons be enough for you and others who still believe he can contribute? No bashing, just trying to understand the faith in him when he's clearly shown that not much has changed from last season...even after all the off-season articles about his efforts to improve.
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
not just the fact that Colt McCoy sucks, but the fact that Tolzien also didn't perform too well. I've just never been a fan of McCoy in the NFL (I've rooted for him though) and I'm very concerned about him as a #2 to the point I was kind of expecting Tolzien to outplay him or at least make it interesting.

That battle is definitely interesting after last night, but not in a good way

FWIW I did think Tolzien outplayed McCoy
[ Edited by vrabbit on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Giveaways can become habitual, the Broncos didn't do anything but won the game. Fix the mindset in preseason. Mistakes cost us the Super Bowl against the Ravens.
Our backups. Starter look good but our backup looks like they play for divisoin III. Yes it's preseason where player play for jobs, but our backup against their backups was just unwatchable. Hopefully they will be better next game. We need good quality backup for depth rotation on both side in regular season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
back up QBs
Originally posted by vrabbit:
not just the fact that Colt McCoy sucks, but the fact that Tolzien also didn't perform too well. I've just never been a fan of McCoy in the NFL (I've rooted for him though) and I'm very concerned about him as a #2 to the point I was kind of expecting Tolzien to outplay him or at least make it interesting.

Both McCoy and Tolzien were running for their lives. I actually thought McCoy did an excellent job avoiding the pressure, but he wasn't very accurate on the run.
I cant fault the QBs or fairly judge them. That back up o line was TURRIBLE. If it wasn't for those penalties tolzien had a nice driven at the end.

I hope they throw AJ in with the 1st squad next game. I'd like to see of it makes any difference.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
It was the first f**king preseason game! Jesus Christ! 40 percent of the players won't even be on the team when the season starts, and a good amount of starters weren't even playing.

Where do the Niners draw the line then? After his second season, what if he shows little to no improvement? The excuse would be on the matters of "give him one more year to develop" and "hardly any PT his rookie season". Would three NFL seasons be enough for you and others who still believe he can contribute? No bashing, just trying to understand the faith in him when he's clearly shown that not much has changed from last season...even after all the off-season articles about his efforts to improve.

3 full seasons is fair. Remember people were saying Crabtree was a bust prior to last season. Wide receivers are not running backs. They need time.

Offensive depth.

Needs to be addressed heavily next offseason.
  • thl408
AJ. I really want to see how his intermediate to deep routes are but it's hard to when Tolzien has 1 second to throw.

Still looks a bit scrawny out there and the fumble, although a good strip by the DB, shows that AJ's stength is still lacking. Got beat on his run blocks as well.
Not worried.

I wonder who will be the next Kilgore to step up and get on the farm team. Kilgore showed early on in his brief career that he had real fire. He's been groomed to take over C/G and I'm very confident he'll do very well.

Now we need another OT or two to step up and begin that process. I'm NOT for moving Boone at all.

I think Collie will be an excellent pick up and I really hoping Lockette will take the next step.

No worries at LB - Harrleson, Wilhoite stepped up and Lemonier was impressive.

Back up QB is a concern. BUT playing behind the 2nd string OL was not a fair judgment for Tholzein.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Yeah I agree here.. Its a huge drop off from Kaep .Neither McCoy or Tolzien impressed me what so ever..The drop off in the o-line as well was terrible but I don't see that as much as problem because most of those guys won't make the cut.But 2nd and 3rd Qbs are basically between those 2 and last night they both didn't show much..Tolzien knows the O better but couldn't not execute at key moments...
Concerned:

• WR play until Manningham and Williams are healthy, when Crabs is back, we'll be fine. Until then, it should be tough.
  • O-line play if/when we get an injury to our starting group.
  • QB play if Kaep goes down (which will pretty much signal the end of the season for any team)

No Concerned:

• Pass Rush - have multiple levels of pass rushers
  • TE - Vernon + McDonald + Celek is a great TE corp
  • RB - Gore + James + Hunter + Dixon will be strong
  • Boldin - Beast
  • Secondary (surprisingly, Reid looks legit)
  • 1st team O-line (Davis got beat by a ridiculous spin move by Miller, but Kaep is too fast for even Miller)
Share 49ersWebzone