There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

winners & losers: preseason game 1

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Anybody know what was up with Jewel Hampton? We keep hearing how the 49ers are supposedly high on him...I didn't see him get into the game tonight (maybe he's injured?). Harper got into the game before him, which surprised me. I've been looking forward to seeing Hampton play in the preseason.

I Think Hampton should be ahead of Harper unless like you said he's injured

Three running backs are competing for a roster sport--Dixon, Harper, and Hampton.

Dixon and Harper got enough playing time to be evaluated. Dixon won hands down.

Next game, I expect to Dixon and Hampton go head to head.

I agree, Dixon looked good last night and definitely came out on top vs. Harper. I hope we see Hampton next game. Maybe the reason Harper played first last night has to do with the effort he's been giving in practices lately in sticking his nose in there in pass protection and just looking good otherwise? That fumble was rough last night, though. He didn't get any help from his OT but he has to hang on to that ball, especially that deep in his own territory.
  • bret
  • Veteran
First of all, the top 3 drafts picks all looked good - unlike last year I think we'll see solid contributions right away! The one who really surprised me was Lemonier. I know his college production was supposedly better than Mingo's, but I figured there must have been a catch for him to have fallen so far. But my God, what a first step!! He ran himself out of a couple of plays, but he looks like the real deal as a pass rusher!!

Nose tackle: Ian Williams looks like a MAJOR upgrade over Sopoaga, a player i'd always liked. But Williams was collapsing the pocket on almost every play. On the other hand, what's up with Dorsey? He looked fat and out of shape. I thought he might surprise his year, but for me the surprise was how bad he looked.

Perrish Cox really helped himself. All the talk was about how LMJ was growing into the return job. That may well be, but Cox looked like a natural fielding punts, something that's still missing from LMJ. And in the defensive backfield Cox was making plays all over the place. He impressed me the most among the 3 corners fighting for the #3 spot.

I guess I shouldn't have worried about inside linebacker depth: Wilhoite picked up where he left off last summer - hustling and making plays. I guess he's the reason they let Grant and Gooden walk.

If I had to pick the starting, no make that third down, wide receivers I'd have to go with Boldin, Collie and Moore. Austin Collie was the best receiver to play after Boldin left the game, and it wasn't even close! Kasim Osgood also really impressed, but I figure at his age, he only makes the roster because they want his special teams leadership, not because he'd be a good third or fourth receiver (they'll certainly want someone in that role they can be developing for the future).

And speaking of that, it certainly looks like that guy is NOT going to be AJ Jenkins. The move he made after his one catch gave a tantalizing clue as to what the team sees in him potential-wise. But there's just not a fire in his eyes, a take-no-prisoners attitude, which is what you need to be successful. My guess, they try like the dickens to trade him to another team who sees his potential to blow the top off defenses; but if that fails, I see him as a late cut.

On the o-line, Patrick Omameh looked over-matched (not quick enough). Looney did not appear to be the culprit in all the line break-downs, but he didn't look good enough for Iupati to be shaking in his boots. (BTW, reports out of camp were that he was working at left guard, but in the game he played right guard.) Looney looked good in the second half at center.

RB: LMJ impressed me so much at Oregon that I was surprised that he didn't look quicker and more explosive last year. Tonight he looked like he did at Oregon. Maybe he's mentally caught up to the speed of the game. Sure, he didn't look good with the 2nd-stringers, but then who did? He put up numbers against Denver's first string. Did you see how he ran away from Von Miller?! What's up with Jewel Hampton? With all the pre-game reports about DJ Harper's blocking, mixed with some comments from (I think) Barrows about how Hampton needed work in that area, maybe the team was making a statement. If they were, it didn't work out too well and Harper looked totally overmatched, and not just on his fumble that was only partially his fault. But on his first run he was stuffed for a loss and looked indecisive in doing so.

Not much to say at QB: McCoy got hurt and the QB least equipped to deal with a lack of protection got virtually the entire game to showcase his stuff. At least he generally made good decisions.

Lastly, talk about Brian Jennings getting beat out definitely appear premature as it was the back-ups who set up Dawson's field goal miss.
I trust the way baalke and harbaugh do business. Whoever ends up wearing the red and gold out of the WR's will deserve to do so. Potential only gets you so far with these guys.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:
I trust the way baalke and harbaugh do business. Whoever ends up wearing the red and gold out of the WR's will deserve to do so. Potential only gets you so far with these guys.

We still have Patton. I think he can end up as the 2. I only want to see Collie on 3rd downs. He is good and you can tell, but I don't want him getting hurt.
vance looked like greg olson going up to snatch those balls in the air. looked great, reid making solid tackles too. jenkins was a huge downer, no reciever seems to wanna step up and be the number 2...
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
vance looked like greg olson going up to snatch those balls in the air. looked great, reid making solid tackles too. jenkins was a huge downer, no reciever seems to wanna step up and be the number 2...

Collie can be the number 2, but I don't know how long he will last.
The Good: Spillman, Cox, Wilhoite, Starting Offense
The Bad: Jenkins, backup O-Line
What y'all think about your NT situation? Ian Williams got some penetration a couple of times, but he is a question mark and I didn't notice Dorsey really have any impact... I hope Ian steps it up this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the first team offense looked good, overall our first second and third string defense looked good. The only concern I have from this game if the super bowl between the broncos and the niners boils down to their third string offense vs our third string offense, they will probably win. sheesh people,, and some think I over react. well I do but I usually wait until late in the regular season to do so
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:

of course this is the truth,, alot of stuff will shake out and those guys who show little or no improvement from last night to say,,, game three will be gone
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I really like Tolzien's ability to work through his progressions, but damn, watching him throw makes me nervous. His passes travel in slow-motion. I keep thinking his sideline throws are gonna get pick 6'ed lol.

same
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think a good poster bret talked about how our top three picks looked good last night,, I know it is early and things can change but for the guys who saw the game last night,,,, do you think there is a very good possibility that reid could take that starting job ? if you want to defer for another two games, thats ok!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Really? Why?

LMJ looked pretty darn good to me. He dances around a bit at times, but he also had some really nice runs. He got around the edge against Von Miller and ran past him for about 8 yards. He also had several nice runs up the middle.
he is not meant to be a every down back,, when hunter and gore get in there and you cleverly mix in james and then you got dixon for short yardage stuff,, we will be more than fine. I am more focused in on what he can do in regards to the punt return game
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl: Winners: Boldin, Reid, McDonald, Lemonier, Cox, Dixon, Collie, Dobbs
Losers: 2nd/3rd string OL, Jenkins, Tolzien, McCoy

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed that we didn't give BJ Daniels a shot. Tolzien is too limited of an athlete to ever be a decent NFL qb.

Don't agree and neither does Coach Harbaugh apparently. Tolzein is serviceable. Is he starter material no, but he can play in NFL.
Haralson looked great - we could have used that last season for sure